Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with Modding.  (Read 742 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Need help with Modding.
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:01:11 am »

So recently, after getting help with modding in foreign weapons into the game.. I decided to keep going.. more and more..

I scavenged through wiki, learning more and more about modding.. as of now..

I have created New weapons for Melee and Range, as well as a Ork Race Civ. and I plan on making a decently big mod :D

I am currently working on other race civs... but I have come across a problem, so I need help from experts with a few questions.. and possibly more into the future..

1. I am trying to create a "snow elf" type race, but I cant seem to get them to spawn in Tundra/Tiaga/Forest Tiaga biomes only. They are a strange mix of elfs and humans, and there towns are in CITY and HAMLET styles, unlike the elfven retreats.. but I cant seem to get them to spawn only in cold areas.. (they spawn in other areas if allowed) So My question is, are there certain requirements or do civs have restrictions to what biome they can be in?

Currently this is what I am using:

[START_BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE]
   [START_BIOME:FOREST_TIAGA]
   [START_BIOME:TIAGA]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:TUNDRA:4]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:GLACIER:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:FOREST_TIAGA:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:TIAGA:4]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:3]

I recently added the [START_BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE], to see if they would start there then move out more north.. but no.. some still spawn in hot areas..
I searched through wiki, ect. but found nothing..
Edit: I also cant seem to get TREE_CITY civs to pop up in mountain biomes..

2. Where are the other raw files (if they exsist) for building and civs sites? Is it possible to customize them or make new ones?

3. Is it possible to mod in different tiles for the Overworld Map?

4. Once I get things ready for the mod.. how would I set it up for forums? As well as how would I set the files? As of now I am just using the main raw files and adding into it, would it be the case of just "save original raw files elsewhere, and replace exsisting files with modded ones" or is there a different way to do it?

(may ask more questions in future lol)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:41:35 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Modding.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 09:03:37 pm »

1. I'm not that experienced at entity modding, so I can't answer that....
2. There is currently no way to mod in new site types through the raws.
3. What do you mean exactly? If you mean create new soil and rock/ore types, yes, that is possible. Look in files that start with "inorganic_stone_" for examples, or look up "Inorganic token" on the wiki.
4. You should package any files that you added or modified in a .zip, upload it to DFFD, and link your upload in a post here in the forums. To install a mod you would simply unzip the file inside the /raw/objects folder, and choose to replace any files with the same name.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:05:48 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:21:53 am »

Well, you did misspell TAIGA.

Also, try adding SETTLEMENT_BIOME for the places you want them to build towns.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:42:06 pm »

1. I'm not that experienced at entity modding, so I can't answer that....
2. There is currently no way to mod in new site types through the raws.
3. What do you mean exactly? If you mean create new soil and rock/ore types, yes, that is possible. Look in files that start with "inorganic_stone_" for examples, or look up "Inorganic token" on the wiki.
4. You should package any files that you added or modified in a .zip, upload it to DFFD, and link your upload in a post here in the forums. To install a mod you would simply unzip the file inside the /raw/objects folder, and choose to replace any files with the same name.

Darn...
And what I meant by 3, I mean like.. in the Map interface, that shows what each city/settlement area looks like based on what race, is there a way to change the tileset for newer races so they don't look like its a human or elf race icon?

Also, Would .rar files work as well?
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 05:43:24 pm »

Well, you did misspell TAIGA.

Also, try adding SETTLEMENT_BIOME for the places you want them to build towns.

Omg imma go headbutt my wall for a bit, I didn't realize this thanks to my dyslexia, Im gunna test this to see if this helps the race!