Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Animal Birth Message?  (Read 756 times)

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wild Animal Birth Message?
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:27:41 am »

https://i.gyazo.com/a24ba7290d4f0b120cbd40fee42dcbba.png

This is a little bizarre!  I wonder what prompted this.  I haven't tamed any magma crabs.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Animal Birth Message?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:13:37 am »

I see this a lot in forts that are getting old.  I don't think I have ever seen it in a fresh embark.  How long, in game years, have you been playing that map?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:39 am »

It's not unusual for camping critters to engage in procreational activities and later give birth, and magma crabs seem to camp fairly frequently (you can't train magma crabs, by the way). Yeti repopulation projects rely on camper procreation, for instance.
I've had quite a few magma crab birth messages in my current fortress, as well as having two rutherer babies borne by caged mothers (the rutherers started camping when one of them got caught in a cage trap, and eventually the rest of the herd went the same way. Caged critters can't be impregnated, but they'll proceed as normal if pregnant when caged).

And there are more interesting cases of births such as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

marcbyrne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 11:20:59 am »

I was playing last night.  New fort, not even a year old yet.  Got a message that a Carp gave birth.  I haven't played in a long time.  I just assumed in was a new thing we got notified of now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 04:56:31 pm »

River fish are really bad about that because they have nowhere to go, so they just sit there in the river and spawn. Or air drown.

What id like to see is whether tame and wild creatures will procreate if allowed to intermingle
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 01:51:42 am »

River fish are really bad about that because they have nowhere to go, so they just sit there in the river and spawn. Or air drown.

What id like to see is whether tame and wild creatures will procreate if allowed to intermingle
Catch a wild one and chain it in a pasture next tame ones of the opposite gender (only) and report back.