Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Foreign Weapons/Armor with 3rd party?  (Read 1468 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Make Foreign Weapons/Armor with 3rd party?
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:04:51 pm »

Sorry if I might be posting in the wrong area, but is there a way to make the foreign weapons, ect. using a certain mod or changing some lines of code? I can't really find much help on the internet or a mod that does this.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make Foreign Weapons/Armor with 3rd party?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:29:02 pm »

Sorry if I might be posting in the wrong area, but is there a way to make the foreign weapons, ect. using a certain mod or changing some lines of code? I can't really find much help on the internet or a mod that does this.
Dfwiki explains modding (and everything else in the game) in detail.

All you do is edit raw/objects/entity_default.txt (with a regular text editor) and add whatever weapons you want to be available to your dwarves (or whatever race you're playing) to the list of available weapons. Be aware that some are too big for dwarves to handle.

Link to stuff you can do with entities:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:31:04 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:09 am »

(It's the [WEAPON] token specifically that you need.  ;))
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:33:13 pm »

Uh... yeah that wiki was kinda somewhat no help...

but which entity_default file am I editing?
The one found in the game itself, or the one within the world that was created? Or do I need to create a whole new world for it to work?

Cuz I have done this.. but no results.. so I feel like im doing something wrong or missing something..

http://puu.sh/zxJW4/1caf20451c.png

I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 03:48:37 pm »

Uh... yeah that wiki was kinda somewhat no help...

but which entity_default file am I editing?
The one found in the game itself, or the one within the world that was created? Or do I need to create a whole new world for it to work?

Cuz I have done this.. but no results.. so I feel like im doing something wrong or missing something..

http://puu.sh/zxJW4/1caf20451c.png
"Read the wiki" is the most helpful thing anyone can say to you here.
Editing the raws mid-game (the ones in the save folder) generally doesn't work. Some stuff does, some stuff doesn't. If you're not willing to experiment, edit the regular raws (raw/objects/entity_default) then start a new world.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:54:55 pm »

Yeah, if you want to change a current world, you have to edit the raws in the save folder (/data/save/<name>/raw/objects) instead of the main raw folder.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 04:01:12 pm »

Yeah, if you want to change a current world, you have to edit the raws in the save folder (/data/save/<name>/raw/objects) instead of the main raw folder.
Seems to me that a civ's access to certain weapons would be fixed once the civ had been created (like how some dorf civs end up with no high boots). Well, can only try I guess.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:38 pm »

I figured it out, I just had to create a new world and now they show up, thanks for the help  :D