Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: An insane Giant and it's horde of Artifacts, apparently?  (Read 3288 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An insane Giant and it's horde of Artifacts, apparently?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 02:05:24 pm »

Yes, they are indestructible, although wooden and other flammable artifacts will be set on fire (though they can't be destroyed from said fire.) You can easily douse them using a pond zone, though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 02:37:24 pm »

I don't think artifacts are indestructible, but fire and wear won't harm them (as mentioned, it's a bit of a pain putting the fire out). I think atom smashing will still obliterate artifacts, though, although I haven't tried (Hm, that might be a way to get rid of those constantly invading armies of artifact seekers without giving them the thing they've murdered for).
'

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 04:09:34 pm »

I don't think artifacts are indestructible, but fire and wear won't harm them (as mentioned, it's a bit of a pain putting the fire out). I think atom smashing will still obliterate artifacts, though, although I haven't tried (Hm, that might be a way to get rid of those constantly invading armies of artifact seekers without giving them the thing they've murdered for).
'

I think that even when atom-smashed, they disappear but are given a "hidden" tag, and will reappear when the fort is retired and unretired.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 04:13:53 pm »

Well, I'm going to science and see if a babbling giant will eventually die of starvation or thirst. DFhack is giving me thirst notifications.

If not, time to include a MAGMA PURGE option for giant habitats.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 05:15:42 pm »

Turns out when a captive megabeast goes insane it can die from hunger/thirst.

Sorry for the anticlimactic ending, but hey.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 05:26:50 pm »

Now we just need to ask Toady if that was intended. Because madness overwriting noeat/nodrink tags sounds, well, kinda unexpected.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 07:32:45 am »

Something similar happened to me. I set up a giant zone of repeating spikes just above HFS, and dug out some tunnels leading to the other candy spires. I'd caught an ettin, so I placed an artifact chain (lapis lazuli? I can't recall, but I'm sure it was gem) in one of the intake tubes, hoping a clown would come along and slaughter the ettin. Instead it died from depression (or, more likely, thirty/hunger). I wasn't using DF Hack at the time, so I wasn't able to check. Very disappointing, indeed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »

Same here, mine was on a chain. Maybe its related?

Anyway I sent a PM to Toady, so he's aware at least.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 02:33:32 pm »

Now we just need to ask Toady if that was intended. Because madness overwriting noeat/nodrink tags sounds, well, kinda unexpected.
Do they actually have those tags? Most visitors, such as merchants, are given temporary immunity to starvation and thirst. This is revoked when they get trapped on site and go insane.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 04:02:36 am »

Do they actually have those tags?
Not in vanilla, no. In fact giants and ettins are guzzlers.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 01:25:03 pm »

But is it really intended that if an invader/megabeast spends too much time on the map they go insane and start to starve/dehydrate? It's not like they're supposed to leave the map on a timer like merchants.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 04:07:34 pm »

But is it really intended that if an invader/megabeast spends too much time on the map they go insane and start to starve/dehydrate? It's not like they're supposed to leave the map on a timer like merchants.
Perhaps they had some unsatisfied needs that built up their stress level over a long time until they went insane? Toady said he fixed the needs problem for animals, but he might not have fixed it for giants and such. Perhaps they don't need fixing; they are intelligent, after all.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 04:25:08 pm »

That's true, but I've also captured, say, goblin-aligned elves (or just goblins, for that matter) and they don't go nuts.

It's no worries tho, I recovered the artifacts. Just going to have to find other things to fill my containment units.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 07:18:44 pm »

I've experienced the same thing with chained troglodytes. I think it's because intelligent creatures are still supposed to have needs, which we can't see, when chained up in isolation for long enough they go insane and die. Either from unfulfilled needs or negative thoughts that seem to only come from being chained not caged or locked in a room alone. This definitely needs some testing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 07:23:06 pm »

I've experienced the same thing with chained troglodytes. I think it's because intelligent creatures are still supposed to have needs, which we can't see, when chained up in isolation for long enough they go insane and die. Either from unfulfilled needs or negative thoughts that seem to only come from being chained not caged or locked in a room alone. This definitely needs some testing.

Worry not, I have a very secure facility that can do a great deal of testing. For instance, I've just captured an Ettin. It is already on a chain, so the next semi-megabeast I capture shall be left free-range (enclosed, but not restrained).
Pages: 1 [2] 3