Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An insane Giant and it's horde of Artifacts, apparently?  (Read 3289 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
An insane Giant and it's horde of Artifacts, apparently?
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »

So I have the habit of capturing, collecting, and locking away dangerous entities in over-complicated security vaults.

This Giant I've had around for like 7 years just decided to go insane in it's, um, habitat, shall we call it? Yes. Anyway, it turns out it was carrying 3 artifacts. A bronze crossbow, an iron crossbow, and some iron greaves. Possibly more interestingly, three legendary dwarves, who upon migrating were the creators of unnamed artifacts of the appropriate skill, showed up immediately after the giant was captured.

Anyone else ever had this happen? It seems odd that a giant would just be toting 3 artifacts around at all.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An insane Giant and it's horde of Artifacts, apparently?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:58:42 pm »

So I have the habit of capturing, collecting, and locking away dangerous entities in over-complicated security vaults.

This Giant I've had around for like 7 years just decided to go insane in it's, um, habitat, shall we call it? Yes. Anyway, it turns out it was carrying 3 artifacts. A bronze crossbow, an iron crossbow, and some iron greaves. Possibly more interestingly, three legendary dwarves, who upon migrating were the creators of unnamed artifacts of the appropriate skill, showed up immediately after the giant was captured.

Anyone else ever had this happen? It seems odd that a giant would just be toting 3 artifacts around at all.
They claim artifacts from anyone they happen to smash while wandering. So it's not unusual for a giant to own artifacts. I guess they're supposed to store them in their lairs rather than hold on to them forever. But I guess that's not in yet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:55 pm »

Well I've got to figure out some way to get them out of the giant's habitat without killing the giant. Artifacts must be stored in the TREASURY VAULT by fortress law.

But ok, sure, guess I just hadn't seen that behavior yet. Thanks for the reply.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:05:37 am »

Perhaps temporarily flooding the room with water will cause him to drop them?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:27:27 am »

I'd lure the giant into another room with a bait animal or disposable fish cleaner, shut the door, retrieve the artifact, then put the crazy giant back in his habitat.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:39:49 am »

I had a giantess enter while I was under siege (in my former fortress). She was naked (as per the current semi megabeast clothing standard), but carried an artifact spear that she actually managed to kill a gobbo with before getting killed herself, so apparently they can use at least some artifacts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 03:42:26 am »

I had a giantess enter while I was under siege (in my former fortress). She was naked (as per the current semi megabeast clothing standard), but carried an artifact spear that she actually managed to kill a gobbo with before getting killed herself, so apparently they can use at least some artifacts.
Giants have been known to pound people to death with their own socks. I'd be surprised if they couldn't stab someone with a pointy artifact they were already holding.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:33:36 pm »

Well, it's running around babbling. As such it has already discarded the items on the floor, but any dwarf I send to get it will flip out and bolt. Conversely, a military dwarf will chop up the giant.

Perhaps I can collapse part of the floor and send the giant into a different habitat, leaving the artifacts safe for collection. Interestingly, the giant, previous immune to hunger and thirst, seems to have gotten thirsty according to DF-hack. Looks like going insane resets those immunities.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:02:15 pm »

Collapse the floor, or push the artifacts out with a burst of pressurized water -- the giant is probably much heavier than the artifacts, so the water should push him more slowly, and therefore the artifacts will reach the collection area first.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »

Oh! Pressurized water sounds good!

That is a good suggestion, thank you. Though if the giant is getting thirsty it might be a moot point soon.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 10:02:22 am »

Most giants and ettins seems to have an artifact. Often a piece of clothing like a sock or trousers, that they use as a weapon to slap dwarves with.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 04:04:40 pm »

Most giants and ettins seems to have an artifact. Often a piece of clothing like a sock or trousers, that they use as a weapon to slap dwarves with.

Now I'm just imagining giants and ettins giving dwarves swirlies in the gym bathroom, thanks.

:D
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 11:13:34 pm »

That is a good suggestion, thank you. Though if the giant is getting thirsty it might be a moot point soon.

You going to just leave us hanging?

kninja50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:54:33 pm »

I recently had a giantess show up wielding an artifact weapon rack made entirely of dwarf bone, including decorations.
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has been possessed!
Atir Ustuthborik, Metalcrafter has given birth to a girl.

Fountainice, my first Dwarf Fortress Let's Play.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 11:24:23 am »

You going to just leave us hanging?

I went on vacation!  :P

I'll try it today lol. Stay tuned.

UPDATE:
Hey so it turns out I forgot that the only water on the map is 30-40z down in the third cavern layer. Artifacts are indestructible, are they not? Because the whole place is built around a volcano.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:38:25 pm by Dunamisdeos »
Pages: [1] 2 3