Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: A succession world  (Read 8620 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A succession world
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 01:18:46 pm »

Is there a way for adventurers to visit retired forts without messing up creature IDs? Every time I camp near a retired fort it spawns a lot of creatures that respawn when I leave.

heh,  that could make things interesting.  That's an issue I didn't know about, but it's not really a bad thing, just adds some interesting variety.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 02:51:59 pm »

4th of Hematite a Kobold showed up, apparently looking for something to steal,  there's still a pile of sandbags where I disassembled the wagon, but nothing particularly valuable.  One of the dog's spotted her and she ran off. 

6th of Hematite Ms Helmguilt, while working on excavating the space for the magma forges, hit a previously undiscovered underground lake.  Setting up a magma forges and glass area is going to be a bit more complex than originally expected.  Fortunately Our fearless leader, and the fortress cat who had been following her, headed upstairs before the water poured over them.  While Ms Helmgilt worked on diverting the magma to make an obsidian wall to stop the water Wyldkat ventured out into the exposed caverns to collect webs. 

Meanwhile I worked on some wheelbarrows, now that we have a space for stones and a masonry and mechanics workshop, and some cages so that we can catch some of the, frankly terrifying, wildlife in the area.  In addition to the giant anaconda there have been reports of a giant louse.  Wyldkat has ambitions to tame a unicorn, we'll let her start with these slightly less dangerous creatures once we catch one.

Ms Helmgilt reported that her attempts to stop the water have failed, and we will need to relocate the forges deeper, below the wet zone.  She also requested that access to the cavern be stopped, as troglodytes have been reported within, and that all web collections cease.  Her attempts at stopping the water seem to have allowed it into the magma, rather than the other way round.

5th of Malachite, migrants have arrived, it looks like we are not the only ones who want to get out of the mountains.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 03:17:36 pm »

Mr CloisteredBusts, Married with 6 kids and an apprentice, not sure what he is a master of, math maybe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ms Gearedscribe, his wife, a seige operator
Mr Strifelens, married, a marksdwarf and dyer, prone to extravagance.
Mr Basicboat, married, 2 kids, only skill is gelding
Ms Wheeleduttered, his wife, soap maker
Mr Cloisteredmanors, child of Basicboat and Wheeleduttered

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:27:29 pm by Babylon »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 03:42:19 pm »

Looks like the immigrants consist of two married couples, one of which seems to have left their six children behind, the other has brought one of their two children.  There's also a dwarf man who seems to have run away from his wife, at least he didn't have any children.  Mr Cloisteredbusts, the father who left his six children behind, is apparently a quite accomplished mathemetician, he's authored several texts and had an apprentice back in BoulderHeathers.  BoulderHeathers is a fair distance away, and is reknowned as a center of learning.  After conversing with him a bit I learned that his children were grown, not abandoned.  His wife is less talkative, and was very vague about her parentage (OOC, her dad's a necromancer!).

Mr Strifelens' wife is apparently pursuing academic pursuits and he came out looking for the adventure of hunting the giant animals in the swam. 

Mr Basicboats and Ms Wheeleduttered were both pleasant, their older daughter is the militia commander back in guildtin.  I'm a bit surprised she didn't warn them about the giant creatures and necromancer tower found in this swamp, but perhaps there is hidden tension in the family, her little brother is definitely the precocious sort.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 05:10:18 pm »

I spent some time hauling rocks, meanwhile a messhall and a few sleeping quarters were dug out.  I made tables, and beds, and Ms Helmgilt made stone chairs for us to sit on.  Things are looking up around here.  Mr Touchwhipped was appointed as broker, bookkeeper, and manager, all together.  I hope he can handle the responsibility. 

Autumn has arrived, we're all working on smoothing out the dining room when we aren't busy with more pressing tasks. A lever for the drawbridge has finally been installed there. 

4th of limestone another kobold thief, this one was spotted by young Mr Cloisteredmanors before he could steal anything, he brought two friends though who took a bit longer to spot.  We really should get those sand bags indoors.

12th of Limestone, the trade caravan arrives.  Hopefully we can afford an anvil with the wooden crafts Ms Razorcrafts has been making.  The trade liason Etur Cuborsakzul asked if we needed anything, and shared some gossip, we don't really, but Ms Helmgilt asked him for Reindeer Cheese, just becasue that sounds interesting.  He didnt have much news, Queen Iton Dabbledmines wanted to know if the necromancer tower had made contact with us, apparently her husband hasn;'t written any new works in quite some time.  A shame, I thought "Errors in Fenceddimples" was hauntingly compelling and I was hoping to hear of more to read.  The Liason requested warhammers, shields, and sheets, it sounds like some sort of military adventures are being planned. 

Shortly after we completed trading, recieving the needed anvil and some meat but having to part with a Cobaltite Megrob I had been hoping to play, another batch of migrants arrived.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:21:34 pm by Babylon »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 05:51:45 pm »

Mr Rythmicarrows married father of 3
Ms Greentrumpet a butcher
Ms Paddlescrapes a milker (and apprentice of some sort)
Ms LancedJustice married mother of 6
Her son, Mr Caughtcrypts
Mr Whisperpick, her husband, a ranger
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:29:39 pm by Babylon »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 06:29:17 pm »

Mr Whisperpick is a bard who has trained under Unib Claspfill and written a few pieces himself.  His wife created the legendary artifact the square silvers, a crossbow that has become the symbol of the baron of Lessonfenced.  Ms Paddlescrapes is also a bard who has written a few pieces and appears ready to call herself a journeydwarf. 

1st Sandstone Mr Whisperpick has been posessed and seems inspired to create something he's claimed the creaftdwarfshop and is busily gathering materials.

13th sandstone he starts construction, he's collected two gabbro boulders, and a bolt of silk cloth. I can't wait to see what he creates.

18th Sandstone, Ziril Ros, a Gabbro amulet which he claims as a family heirloom in the name of his ancestor Sibrek Manorroom.  The name translates to the fire of deciding and it has an image on it of Inod Glovedgorged shooting the dingo Desli Stirredfactions.  I'm not sure why Desli has a name, he doesn't appear to have done anything important other than be killed by Inod.  It did happen locally though.  Inod was a member of the basic vessels, a dwarven civilization that has their homes mostly in the mountains to the south.  Sibrek Manorroom meanwhile is one of the first dwarves of the permanent city and invented the lever.  I can see why Mr Whisperpick is proud to be descended from him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:31:43 pm by Babylon »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:15 pm »

Ms helmgilt mined out the space to fill the trench under the magma workshops and, unfortunately, came into contact with the magma itself.  Ms Greentrumpet has taken over the position of expedition leader. 

We engraved a slab for Ms Helmgilt as winter started and erected it near the entrance.  Little Mr Cloistermanors actually did the engraving. 

8th Moonstone, a human bowman has come to visit, we don't have much in the way of amenities so most likely she's passing through for some reason.  Ms Pimra Systemtests is a member of the confederation of inching, she's recently married but decided to resume adventuring in the wilds instead of staying home with her husband.  The confederation of inching is a very long ways away. 

Shortly after arriving she petitioned to live here, for the purpose of eradicating monsters.  Her petition was granted, if we see any monsters she'll be sent right over. 

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 08:38:48 pm »

We worked on roofing over the keep that protects our entrance, some of us have apparently been underground too long because that task involved a fair amount of vomiting.

After hearing what sounded like magma crabs down below the forges we closed the floodgate that we used to bring magma in. 

And with the advent of spring I hand the task of narrating over to someone else.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:32 pm »

And here's the world.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13532

There should be flux somewhere, but I haven't found it yet,  there's a shortage of bedrooms, and nothing major has been undertaken yet.  There are two levers so far, both with notes explaining their functions.  Anyone adding levers please put notes on them.  I have a feeling those will go away if the fortress gets retired and unretired, but for now they help keep things straight.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 04:56:24 am »

Just to confirm, do I need to make an adventurer and a fort, or am I restricted to the mode I'm playing?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 02:19:36 pm »

Just to confirm, do I need to make an adventurer and a fort, or am I restricted to the mode I'm playing?

You can continue developing RackAbbeys, or start another fort and have an adventurer travel from RackAbbeys to it.  I messed around a little with a copied save and couldn't get an adventurer to start in RackAbbeys itself, but I did manage to start in GiltTin which is right nearby.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 10:35:00 pm »

Ok ok, so I'll start the fort for one year, then I'll do the adventurer bit. Better not place my fort too far then...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 11:56:37 pm »

Can I get in on this?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 01:50:26 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7