Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: elf merchant stupidly attempted to ford a river in my fortress and is now stuck.  (Read 1018 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile

what the hell do i do?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

What do you mean stuck? Is the elf on a tile with more than 4/7 water? If yes, you can try channeling around him so the water level drops below 3/7 for enough time for him to get away.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile

What do you mean stuck? Is the elf on a tile with more than 4/7 water? If yes, you can try channeling around him so the water level drops below 3/7 for enough time for him to get away.
nah actually im going to let him suffer, he deserves to drown for his stupidity

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have something similar going on with a visiting scholar in my fort. He was halfway through crossing the moat when that moat went from dry to 7/7 water and is still there now. He's not drowning, not eating or drinking and seems to have no intention of swimming to the ramps and climbing out. He's been there for nearly a full year now.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scholars don't drown?  I wonder what use somebody is going to find for that little quirk.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

I had an elf merchant walk onto ice, which melted while the merchant's yak was still on land. So there was the elf merchant standing on water while the yak was standing on land, and they stopped moving. I built a floor under the elf and he started moving again.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

How does that work? Wouldn't that get a "job cancelled: Creature occupying tile" report??

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Visitors have a tendency to path down into ponds and stay there. If you DFHack teleport them out they path back in, unless you teleport them far enough. The reason they're not drowning is probably because they tend to stand on the ramp out of the pool.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scholars don't drown?  I wonder what use somebody is going to find for that little quirk.

Actually, I think the scholar wasn't drowning because he had swimming skill and was in a tile with open access to the air. If he was one z-level lower in the water he would've drowned.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I fix the side of the river where it leaves the map by building a drawbridge that raises against the riverbank. Works 100% against any creature trying to path through it and getting stuck.

EDIT: ohwait, it's in your moat. Hmmwell okay not sure how to fix or prevent that then, just let him drown.
I guess you could prevent it by never draining your moat.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

How does that work? Wouldn't that get a "job cancelled: Creature occupying tile" report??
It worked fine. It occurs to me that I cannot recall a time when a floor construction was cancelled for any reason involving items or creatures blocking the tile.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I frequently get floor building cancellations due to items on the tile. It's usually due to logs designated to build other parts of the same floor, but books are a pain, as they all seem to be tasked to be hauled to the library, but that task is of such a low priority that it never gets done, and the vanilla UI doesn't allow you to dump designate them (as dumping is actually has a priority that's a notch higher than place in location).