Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why wont these giant wrens leave my area?  (Read 748 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
why wont these giant wrens leave my area?
« on: February 21, 2018, 07:52:13 pm »

i settled in a broad leaf forest and this flock of giant wrens has been in the area for a whole ingame year!
how do i make them leave?

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why wont these giant wrens leave my area?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:03:23 pm »

Crossbow bolts!

Or you could try and capture them in cage traps somehow, and set up a massive bird farm.

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:09:36 pm »

Crossbow bolts!

Or you could try and capture them in cage traps somehow, and set up a massive bird farm.
if i kill them all will new animals come in?

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:22:14 am »

I'm unsure. From what I can find killing a certain animal type on your map will increase the chance of a new group wandering in (could be the same animal though; https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/6is0nx/science_on_wildlife_spawning/).

That thread also mentions that there is an upper cap on the number of animals, which implies that you can kill all of them and never see another again. However, the thread says that is specified by the [POPULATION:CAP] tag in the raws, which as far as I can see doesn't exist for [CREATURE:GIANT_WREN]. The most similar tag is [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30] which specifies "The minimum/maximum numbers of how many of these creatures are present in each world map tile of the appropriate region" according to the wiki. Unfortunately I can't tell you whether that means "if giant wrens appear, you won't ever see less than 15 or more than 30 per map tile, but there might be more breeding etc in other map areas", or "Every world map tile with the right biome will generate between 15 and 30 giant wrens and that is all the giant wrens this world will ever see".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 02:29:07 am »

Camping critters is a long standing issue. I've noted that if you trap one of a group the rest of the group has an increased risk of camping, and butchering the trapped one(s) have a chance of getting them to move.
Killing them works, though.
There's a limit to one critter group per level (surface, each cavern) at a time (two if there's a savage biome on the embark), so a camping group (which may be one critter) will block a group until it moves away or is killed.
There is a limited number of creatures in the world (excepting ones that are "innumerable", such as bees, many kinds of vermin, and clowns). However, the raws provide starting values for RNG generation, not absolute numbers. The DFHack command region-pops info (if I recall it correctly) shows what's available within a 7*7 world tile area centered on the embark, and it is possible to exterminate a species locally.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 02:50:34 am »

As soon as you kill a group, or it leaves, the next group arrives. This also applies to each cavern. You can take advantage of this fact to farm cavern creatures.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 04:46:37 am »

You have giant wrens.  This is MUCH BETTER than having giant keas.  Be good to your wrens.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 02:02:57 am »

Ya giant keas suck. So far this embark, giant keas have killed 8 dwarves. They are terrible creatures.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531