Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old player coming back  (Read 1499 times)

burdalesa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old player coming back
« on: February 21, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »

Hello people. I drop the game in 2014 and i want to start playing again

I saw that there are a lot of changes in the Fortress Mode and i'm a bit lost

What are the most important things that i have to know?

Thank you!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old player coming back
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:27:09 pm »

Generally just a lot deeper handling of artifacts. Artifacts will now be generated in worldgen as well as in player fortresses, and come in several types -- family heirlooms, civ trophies, religious symbols, etc. There are now spies that will try to obtain information about and in cases steal artifacts from other civs, which can trigger wars and/or artifact quests. You can raid other sites in fort mode or try to steal their artifacts, which can cause wars and sieges, even from kobold caves (which have been revamped and now contain trap rooms, poisonous beasts, etc.). You can even steal necromancer books and demon slabs from towers and vaults, respectively. Basically a whole buttload of new features.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:27:24 pm »

I don't remember which version was out in 2014, but one of the newer features is that you can send squads out to raid other sites.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:08 pm »

I don't remember which version was out in 2014, but one of the newer features is that you can send squads out to raid other sites.
Did you play the 2014 release or stop before it? The game has had massive changes since then. 3 major releases. You're better off reading the devlog.

Invaders jump, invaders climb, trees are big, the outside world is active as you play, adventurer is almost a real game, gather fruit using stepladders. Retire fortress and come back later.

Taverns, libraries, temples attract visitors, non-dwarves join your fortress as mercs/entertainers, animal men (and plump helmet men and gorlaks) can join civilizations. Everyone from a human, dwarf, elf civ is playable in adventurer (including the goblins who live there and aforementioned animal people). Adventurer built sites. Alcohol poisoning.

Send out raids (work in progress, wait a couple of updates), spies in the fortress, false identities for adventurers. Bunch of mechanics related to artifacts aimed at getting more sieges.

Latest major release is still being cleaned up, so expect several more updates over the next couple of months.

As with everything. Read the wiki. Try it out. Have Fun.

(Fun isn't guaranteed due to outside world being active. Embark near goblins. Raise population to more than 80 or provoke war through raiding).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:40:08 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 02:52:21 am »

Jumping and climbing have changed the shape of moats and walls.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »

(Fun isn't guaranteed due to outside world being active. Embark near goblins. Raise population to more than 80 or provoke war through raiding).
This is absolutely miserable, but true. Nothing in-game pre-embark will show you a "threat level" from goblins, so you have to look up the dark fortresses in world populations, find them on the map, make sure they have enough population, make sure you're the nearest target for them, and then hope sieges happen. (I think you can still lower the population attack trigger in entity_default.txt so 80 pop isn't required though.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:44:41 pm by gchristopher »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 04:33:06 pm »

This is absolutely miserable, but true. Nothing in-game pre-embark will show you a "threat level" from goblins, so you have to look up the dark fortresses in world populations, find them on the map, make sure they have enough population, make sure you're the nearest target for them, and then hope sieges happen. (I think you can still lower the population attack trigger in entity_default.txt so 80 pop isn't required though.)
Yeah, was just talking about vanilla. Tweak the game to be more playable of course.

At least now you can embark, notice the nearby dark pits has a tiny population and retire (or indeed, from next update, burn it down and keep burning until the nearest site is a pop 10,000 dark fortress).

Dark fortress in a reasonably old world (125 years) will almost always guarantee you gobbos. And again, check their pop on embark with 'c', raid them if they seem to be distracted by elf/human wars.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:37:24 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 03:16:26 am »

Make sure the dark fortress is controlled by a goblin civ. I'm having the problem in my PSV world that the humans (and sometimes elves!) have a tendency to take over the nearby dark fortress(s), and 10000 "human" goblins are no good unless you intend to go to war against that human civ.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 04:59:07 am »

Make sure the dark fortress is controlled by a goblin civ. I'm having the problem in my PSV world that the humans (and sometimes elves!) have a tendency to take over the nearby dark fortress(s), and 10000 "human" goblins are no good unless you intend to go to war against that human civ.
Humans make for good opponents too...
But, yeah, a quick browse on Legends Viewer before you start any world is a must.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 03:04:23 am »

You people forgot the most important new feature: pedestals and display cases to put stuff on/in. Then you can have an open-air museum of Dead Goblin Invaders next to your Road of Magnificent Buckets on Pedestals

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 03:52:58 am »

You people forgot the most important new feature: pedestals and display cases to put stuff on/in. Then you can have an open-air museum of Dead Goblin Invaders next to your Road of Magnificent Buckets on Pedestals
Yeah, that too. And kobold caves.
Were forest retreats in DF2012? We have them now too.