Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are visitors in cages?  (Read 1634 times)

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are visitors in cages?
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:38:35 am »

At one point, I noticed that some visitors somehow ended up in cages.  ???
They're stuck there until I release them.

They were not in jail. They were in the animal stockpile, where I have cages. At that time, I had no cages in my jail area, only ropes. My fortress entrance has no cage traps either.

Any idea why this happened?

Btw, I also have issues getting my sheriff to punish visitors. Not so many problems punishing residents.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Why are visitors in cages?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:41:26 pm »

Maybe they fell asleep on cage traps?

Do visitors even sleep? Stunning is also a possibility.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:27:02 pm »

Take a look at the areas where you do have cage traps and you may see something that indicates what happened, maybe webs remaining on some cage traps (presumably any related combat reports are long gone). They must have triggered the cage traps somehow and been brought up to the stockpile.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:32:09 pm »

The question, oh nameless one, is not - "How did these elves end up in cages?"  Rather, it is - "How distant is the nearest volcano, that these unfortunate elves may be properly freed?"

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:55:59 pm »

Check DF root directory. There should be file gamelog.txt. There are all messages from notifications and reports. File can be huge sometimes. I keep renaming it after it grows to mb size. Easier on my text editor, when opening those logs. Once you open it in text editor, just do search on their names. Can't be simpler. Do share with us what happened with them. :)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:14:09 am »

At one point, I noticed that some visitors somehow ended up in cages.  ???
They're stuck there until I release them.

They were not in jail. They were in the animal stockpile, where I have cages. At that time, I had no cages in my jail area, only ropes. My fortress entrance has no cage traps either.

Any idea why this happened?

Btw, I also have issues getting my sheriff to punish visitors. Not so many problems punishing residents.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You must have had cagetraps somewhere. The most likely reason I can think of is that a GCS webbed over those traps, and the guests pathed over the webbed traps.
Or they dodged, fell and got stunned on a cage trap.
Cage traps in a stockpile cannot trap creatures. So you MUST have cage traps somewhere you forgot about.

The double (caged)(caged) is extremely weird though. Did you mod anything?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:51 am »

This is indeed curious...

Elves in cages I can understand.
But how did the human end up in the cage is a mystery.

Please check the human description, if he has "particularly long ears for a human", then you know why he is in the cage.

EDIT : Wait ? You have a Troll Vampire ?!! Wooow ! That's so metal !
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:15:17 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:37:28 am »

The only thing that bothers me is that half of them elves are not caged.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:30:43 pm »

Thanks for the ideas, guys  :)
The majority of my cage traps are in the caverns. About 4 of them are near a small food stockpile and a chained cat.
Only one cage trap is right on an entrance, and that's the entrance to the caverns.
I did have 1-2 cage traps outdoors. But not right at the entrance. 
I can't really think of a reason for my visitors to go to any of those traps. Unless my aboveground trap has a devilishly good position somehow. But then, there are no GCSs up there.

Check DF root directory. There should be file gamelog.txt...

Thanks for the tip. But I couldn't find any good explanation there. Most of the search hits were something like: "Cero Aguvolith, sheriff cancels Release Ametha Romimiquileli, Elf Dancer: Wrong justice state."

The double (caged)(caged) is extremely weird though. Did you mod anything?

No, no modding. But I am using the PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack.

EDIT : Wait ? You have a Troll Vampire ?!! Wooow ! That's so metal !

Thanks  :) I have arranged his cursing, personally.  8)