Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surface Dragons - Intelligent, POWERS, reproductive, GENETICS, WINGS -  (Read 1863 times)

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
  • <dorf> has been possessed!
    • View Profile

So, I've gone a little dragon crazy...

I added a number of creature tokens to dragons specifically as I want my world to be populated extensively with them; a large region with a minimal amount of water to maximize playable area. You can examine my world gen params and dragon raws below.

I've done things such as make dragons meaner by adding, berserk, prone to rage, and carnivore tokens. I gave them some scale color modifiers and eye color modifiers. I've improved their ability to breed in the wild by increasing frequency, pop size, and clutch size, as well as added some baby and child tags. I have given them the ability to learn, speak, and intelligent tokens. I also added the power token which has lead to some very interesting events on some test world gens. I've come to like this more formidable form of dragon I want them to be the dominant life form in my world. I'll include some screen grabs of some notable events where dragons have led civ armies and large groups of followers into battles. I've also given them the ability to fly despite their lack of wings, which, brings me to my question.

I wish to add actual scaled wings to the surface dragons which are large in size that could be damaged in battles effectively losing their ability to fly. I've looked at some other creatures with wings, but, can't exactly copy and paste since I want to do things like scales etc. I'm not sure how to add this.

Also, if I can, if anyone knows how to, add some genetic variation to the dragons as well so that one may trap and breed selective colors etc. I've seen this in the raws with some other creatures but don't know how to implement it in this case.

If you know of any game play conflicts that may arise by mixing such creature tokens, please, let me know.

Dragon Raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Test World Gen
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:21:44 pm by tnuhnivad »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Surface Dragons - Intelligent, POWERS, reproductive, GENETICS, WINGS -
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:24:12 pm »

you can wrap your creature and worldgen params in SPOILER and CODE tags

It will make your post look nicer and make it easier for anyone to copy what you share

Also there is the img tag too

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:48:31 pm »

you can wrap your creature and worldgen params in SPOILER and CODE tags

It will make your post look nicer and make it easier for anyone to copy what you share

Also there is the img tag too

Thanks! Will do, still new to the forum.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:22:11 pm by tnuhnivad »

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:06:09 pm »

For now I'm going to remove intelligent and can learn tokens - the dragons become part of civs and start using axes, crossbows, armor, etc. - until I can figure a way to disable use of such things.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:32:22 pm by tnuhnivad »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 12:30:15 am »

Using weapons - they shouldn't, as they don't have GRASPing body parts to hold those weapons. Unless it's worldgen shenanigans we're talking about... even then it's flavor I suppose, you could change the titles by using custom PROFESSION_NAME.

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 04:41:12 pm »

I'm also keen to know if you can use multiple materials for different body parts. Like having otherwise normal skin and hair, but wings covered with feathers etc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 05:15:16 pm »

I'm also keen to know if you can use multiple materials for different body parts. Like having otherwise normal skin and hair, but wings covered with feathers etc.

Yes, otherwise eyes would be made of skin and fat and muscle.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:56:31 am »

Short example: How to set a gargoyle's "all categories of tissue layers" to marble:

More on tissues: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tissue_definition_token

example: remove hair, use feathers:
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 05:52:34 pm »

Using weapons - they shouldn't, as they don't have GRASPing body parts to hold those weapons. Unless it's worldgen shenanigans we're talking about... even then it's flavor I suppose, you could change the titles by using custom PROFESSION_NAME.

Yes if I add can speak, can learn, power, and intelligent. Sometimes I'll get dragons who not only take over civs by whatever means odd things start happening. Looking at their kills in legends occasionally it'll have things like "shot so and so on this date." Their skills will be high in things they shouldn't have like croosbows, seiege equipment, etc.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shouldn't just adding :2WINGS: somewhere in the BODY tag give them wings? They should be scaly anyway, the materials and tissue layers are separately defined in the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN tags, birds have an extra tissue template to give them feathers in all the right places, and the feathers themselves are added in the same way as scales are added in for dragons, within the birds' own raws, or at least that's how it works for the Roc.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

My dragons have wings and can fly (though they're otherwise identical to the vanilla dragons), so it seems to work just fine.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.