Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find info on Dwarfs v 0.43.05  (Read 1437 times)

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
Can't find info on Dwarfs v 0.43.05
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:33:18 pm »

Hi,
I have just started playing again a brief flirtation a few years ago, and have downloaded starter pack and DF 43.05
Using the Units screen > View unit I can' get to seeing what any dwarf is carrying or what wounds if any s/he has, which I think I could in previous versions. How do I access this info?
I have just caught my first goblin (yay) but b-d-c does not seem to cause anyone to strip it of armor and weapons, unless that happened when I wasn't watching. I can't check because of the first problem.
<
Any advice?
Thanks
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find info on Dwarfs v 0.43.05
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:00 pm »

For viewing inventory, you will need to (z)oom to the dwarf from the units screen and press (i)nventory. (v)iew should allow you to look at their (h)ealth screen. The wounds screen however is accessed through the (z)oom, just like inventory, but now you need the (w)ounds key.

Note that instead of using (z)oom from the units screen, you can also use (v)iew directly from the map, bypassing the units screen. I'll admit it's a bit confusing, I think that's what gotten you confused here in the first place. (v) from map gets you to the same unit view as (z) from the (u)nits screen. (while (v) from the units screen gets you to the same screen as (v)(z) from the map view, lol)

BTW why are you using 43.05 instead of the most recent version, 44.05
?

EDIT: it's been a while since I stripped goblins, but I believe you need a b-d-(c)laim plus a b-d-(d)ump to dump the items. You can reclaim them after dumping
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:11:55 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 10:11:51 pm »

"Latest" starter pack is 43.05.
Never mind that 44.05 fixes loads of issues from then. Pack has always played it safe by offering a version from years ago which at least the main issues are known.

There should be a link to an "Unstable! Don't use this one noobs!" pack. That'll be the latest version of df without the crash bugs and missing monster slayers of 43.05.

Wicked

• Bay Watcher
  • The older I get, the better I was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:52 pm »

Thanks for that guys.
 I'm still definitely a newbie, so will stay with 43.05.
Following your advice Martinuuz doesn't work for the goblin, I just get the inventory for the nearest dwarf. Would like to be sure he is unarmed before releasing him. So is there a way of having a closer look at goblins etc?
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:32:13 am »

I have just caught my first goblin (yay) but b-d-c does not seem to cause anyone to strip it of armor and weapons, unless that happened when I wasn't watching. I can't check because of the first problem.

EDIT: it's been a while since I stripped goblins, but I believe you need a b-d-(c)laim plus a b-d-(d)ump to dump the items. You can reclaim them after dumping

I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious and these are just typos, but the correct keys are d-b-c and d-b-d.

edit: I just thought to point it out since the UI can be very confusing and there is a possibility that the OP was just using the wrong keys.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:38:29 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:20:04 am »

Hehe, those typos, sorry.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:23 pm »

Never mind that 44.05 fixes loads of issues from then. Pack has always played it safe by offering a version from years ago which at least the main issues are known.

There should be a link to an "Unstable! Don't use this one noobs!" pack. That'll be the latest version of df without the crash bugs and missing monster slayers of 43.05.
If you're talking about PeridexisErrant's pack (there's more than one different pack out there), then he does exactly that:
PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack bundles Dwarf Fortress with huge community upgrades - graphics, tools, bugfixes, and much more.

Download the latest Starter Pack here!

Or download an even newer - alpha quality - Starter Pack here.

DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:21:39 pm »

If you're talking about PeridexisErrant's pack (there's more than one different pack out there), then he does exactly that:
PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack bundles Dwarf Fortress with huge community upgrades - graphics, tools, bugfixes, and much more.

Download the latest Starter Pack here!

Or download an even newer - alpha quality - Starter Pack here.

Yes. That's what I said. That's the link to the pack with the latest version of DF. He always has two. One 'stable' and one 'alpha'.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 02:00:21 am »

Gah, I can't read. I thought you were saying that it should have two links but only had one, which was the case until pretty recently. Anyway, it's generally an "unstable" pack until utilities are "stable", which is a bit subjective but seems to work well enough.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 02:29:57 am »

Gah, I can't read. I thought you were saying that it should have two links but only had one, which was the case until pretty recently. Anyway, it's generally an "unstable" pack until utilities are "stable", which is a bit subjective but seems to work well enough.
No problem. I did a double-take on re-reading my own post. Was going to replace 'should' with something less ambiguous, but figured the next sentence clarified what I meant. I guess the critical tone came across stronger than the actual words.
Note to self: Write better.  :)

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 11:19:33 am »

Thanks for that guys.
 I'm still definitely a newbie, so will stay with 43.05.
Following your advice Martinuuz doesn't work for the goblin, I just get the inventory for the nearest dwarf. Would like to be sure he is unarmed before releasing him. So is there a way of having a closer look at goblins etc?

Are you asking about looking at the inventory of a goblin in a cage trap specifically?  It's been a while since I've used cage traps, but iirc, it goes like this:
Find your cage trap on the map.
Use loo(k) and select that square.
Use +/- on the right hand pane to select the cage trap item and hit enter to view the item.
Inside the cage trap's info screen, you should be able to see any items inside the cage trap (hopefully, the goblin!)
Use +/- to select which line you want more info on.  If it's a cage trap, it likely only has the goblin you're interested in and should be already selected as the top item.
Press Enter to view the contents of the goblin.  This would be where you see his weapons and stuff.

If there's any innacuracies in there, I'm sure somebody that's used a cage trap more recently can clarify.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:47 am »

Dumping held/worn items from caged prisoners:

pause game

1-area reclaim on the cage: objects that not belong to your fortress start forbidden. d-b-c to unforbid them.
2-area dump on the cage: you cannot select items used by a creature in the cage. d-b-f to dump them.
3-single object reclaim of the cage: you don't want the creature itself to be dumped. "k" or "t" to select the cage and remove the "D" from it with "d".

do not unpause before you removed all dump tags from the cages.

If you have DFHACK installed you can look in the stocks screen if there are any items flagged with C (meaning its in a cage).