Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hammervised - The quest for legends  (Read 3121 times)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammervised - The quest for legends
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:51:43 pm »

The premise is simple enough:  Have one of every possible legendary dwarf in the same fortress.  Reality will make it end up being anything but simple.

Restrictions:

Each dwarf may only have one skilled labor assigned
No two dwarves may have the same labor assigned at the same time.  If I want a project dug out, Olon has to get to work.
I can change jobs if a better migrant or a mood alters the situation
Have one of every legendary dwarf possible.
Dwarf cap is 80/120
Legendary mercenaries dont count.

Exceptions:

In the event I get a mood that requires a workshop I havent built yet, I can assign a spare dwarf the labor long enough to build the workshop.  Any material needs still require a dedicated dwarf however.
Since this is an unmodded DF game, a couple jobs will be highly improbable.  Strand extraction would require a skilled migrant and a large spire.  Possible, but not probable. 
Fish Dissector requires mog hoppers.  Unlikely to be on any given map.  I will attempt to catch them, but I'm not holding my breath.
Animal Care doesnt function, so scratch that job.
I didnt have 5 spare dwarves early on for doctoral duty, so I allowed the chief medical dwarf to do all medical jobs.  Once we get enough dwarves, he will go back to just one duty.
Dwarves wont wield pikes in fortress mode, so no Pikelord.
Social and musical legends are not a priority.  As much fun as a legendary keyboardist or liar would be, I'll have enough to do without trying to micro that.

The embark:

A temperate forest biome surrounded by two terrifying mountain biomes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lets see if I'm up to the task!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Hammervised - The quest for legends
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:52:57 pm »

Do you accept dorfing? I'd like to be a miner please.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:32:12 am »

You could probably buy moghoppers off of the human caravan, if you're lucky. And what are you going to do when you have more dwarves than there are skills to perfect? Make them legendary haulers?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:05:17 am »

I politely demand request a stupid fat hobbitses dorfing named Mr Froodoo Imic who's favoured proffession is Serial killer Murderer The reason everyone in the lower halls is dead architechture. I hope he dies becomes legendary in his evil skill!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:38:37 am »

I politely demand request a stupid fat hobbitses dorfing named Mr Froodoo Imic who's favoured proffession is Serial killer Murderer The reason everyone in the lower halls is dead architechture. I hope he dies becomes legendary in his evil skill!
Ok..,for FUN sake I would like dorfing as something close to the archttechture,maybe mason.
Edit:forgot to say the name is Rockeater
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:43:45 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:21 am »

I'd like to be the legendary fish cleaner, just name him Mottled Petrel and let him produce the cleanest fish the world has ever seen.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:25:24 pm »

Request dorfing as the local legendary axe dwarf.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 05:08:27 pm »

Speaking of that, does that mean we can only have like 5 or 6 military dwarves because their are only like 5 or 6 weapon skills? And aren't all the military dwarves going to end up having legendary observation and the miscellaneous fighting skills?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 05:29:03 pm »

You'll need loooots of dogs for the trainer/butcher/tanner professions.
I usualy put all of them in a room and they fight non stop...
Brace yourself for slow fps :)

Also, will you do scholar skills ? Only reader could be done in Fortress mode i believe

Have fun !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 08:53:21 pm »

I've already played through the end of year 3, so I'll formally dwarf everyone then.  I'll refer to everyone by the proper name starting now though.  For moghoppers, I doubt I can buy some from the human caravan.  Even if its possible, I can almost guarantee there wouldnt be enough to get someone from level 1 to legendary in a dwarven lifespan.

~Year One:  Lots of dead elves~

The king is troubled.  Everyone knows a good mason or miner when they see one, but what of the other skills a dwarf may possess?  What benefits can our civilization reap from seeing the masters of obscure callings?  With this in mind, we have been tasked to build a unique settlement with the sole purpose of creating a city of dwarven legends.

Lead by our woodcutter Onul, our diverse bunch arrived to the designated location.  I dont think any of us would have chosen this exact location given the local wildlife that shares our new home.

The undead kingsnake was of little concern, but we had no doubts that the mountain goat could cause grievous wounds if it ever caught up to us.  Given our exposed location, everyone jumped to work to secure safer lodging.  Onul cut a few trees nearby for Edzul to use in a carpentry workshop while our miner Olon grabbed his pick and began digging out a hallway for us to barracade ourselves into when any undead wanders too close for comfort.

When Olon decided to name his new pet cat after himself, there was only one sensible thing to do:  Olon the miner wasnt allowed to keep his old name.  We all decided that NRDL would be his new name, while his cat got to keep the superior dwarven name. 

Speaking of inferior species, a handful of elven guests arrived shortly thereafter. 

Unfortunately for them, one of them entered our territory a bit too close to the undead goat, and it didnt turn out too well for them.

To say the elves were undeterred is an understatement.

Not to be outdone, we got our first batch of migrants, and the king really helped us out on this one.

Apparently the mountainhome has too many legendary weaponsmiths?  This was news to us, but we will take it.  The highly skilled wax worker and clothesmaker will come in handy, and even a novice brewer will help out.  We assigned Vabok the task of gathering plants to brew before our booze stockpile ran too low and asked him to start learning on the job.  These plans were quickly dashed and everyone was called back into the safety of the mining tunnel...

Taking all bets:  28 elves vs 4 undead mountain goats.  Who will win the ultimate nature showdown?  Plenty of mercenaries and monster slayers on the elves side, but alas....

We watched on with rapt expressions as the elves valiantly took down 2 of the goats, but the remaining two were too strong for them to handle.  Thankful for our bunker, we watched Crumblereigned the Zealot of Wasps and Savantmassive the Ceiling of Dignity wander out of our territory, leaving only corpses of the formerly living in their wake.  We didnt notice until the battle was over, but the wagon from the dwarven caravan got spooked at the sight of the slaughter and scuttled on a small patch of rocks, which means we didnt have any trading opportunities at all this year.

Well, that would have been the worst part, until....

Our outpost liason was being chased around by a new undead goat, while one of the elven corpses rose up and began attacking the last of the living elves (the coward hid behind some trees during the goat attack).  We were in serious danger of losing control of the surface.  We had no choice.  We had to leave the mining tunnel and hope for the best...

No dwarven deaths, but 4 injured enough to require hospital rest.  Things were looking down for us, but cresting the horizon was a most welcome sight:  reinforcements.

While we debated on who would be our new doctor to take care of the many wounded, Risen was possessed by a ghost of an ancestor.

This was.... problematic.  We ended up selecting one of the new arrival dwarves to be our chief medical dwarf, and constructing the workshop wasnt a big deal.  The only real issue was... we had no cloth.

The remnants of the caravan had one piece of yarn thread and one piece of plant thread, so we appointed a weaver and asked him to create a piece of yarn and plant cloth for us, which were immediately claimed..... by Olin our new medic.  Injuries needed cleaning, but that didnt help poor Risen any.  His last hope was the 4 alpalcas we brought with us, which meant appointing a shearer and a spinner as well.  Even then, he might require plant or silk, which would be his doom.

Luckily for everyone, wool cloth did the trick.  We started up some walls while the surface was relatively safe as well to try and keep any more injuries to a minimum.  We assigned Mosus, an idle dwarf, to become a mechanic and had him build a workshop and a few mechanisms for a bridge and lever as well.

End result?  A shoe.  An interesting shoe to be sure, but just a shoe.

In the meantime, NRDL finally finished digging down to the magma sea, which freed him up to start working on digging out a well near the third cavern.  Our only other source of water is the brook to the northwest, which is frequently inhabited by the undead.  The third cavern sounded safer by far.

Close to the end of winter, our mechanic Mosus got some divine inspiration.  Thankfully, his demand was solely for rock, of which we have plenty.

A fine artifact mechanism.  This will go quite nicely in our well once it has been dug out.  Spring is right around the corner, and we still have plenty of issues to work out.  No soldiers, no reliable food sources, no bridge connecting to the exterior of our courtyard until the local wildlife is tame enough to wait for Mosus to hook everything up, no interior of the fortress at all.  Things could be worse sure, but they could be a whole lot better...

~End of Year 1~

3 Legendary Dwarves:
NRDL the Miner
Mosus the Mechanic
Kel the Weaponsmith

23 Legends in Training
3 Human Monster Hunters that just sit around eating and drinking.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:03 pm »

3 Human Monster Hunters that just sit around eating and drinking.

Better than 30 Elf bards.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 12:22:24 am »

~Year Two:  To catch a goat~

For the entire year that we have lived here in Hammervised, we have cowered behind our walls whenever the undead have come even remotely close to us.  This must change if we are to thrive here.  We need two things in order to correct this issue:  soldiers, and a way to reduce the number of undead permanently.  Thankfully, we almost have enough dwarves to start the draft with supporting industries and a plan of attack.  As fortune would have it, the elves arrived at the same time as a migrant wave with a favorable wildlife situation.

2 legendary stonecrafters, but that profession wasnt very high on the priority list.  One thing we did notice is a few dwarves who lost shirts and pants during scuffles with the undeaad.  While the rest of the dwarves ran out to construct a basic trap, we put Obok to work crafting a few replacements.

Ok dwarves, listen up.  There are enough of you now that we can create a military force.  When I call your name, head over to the forge and pick up a designated weapon from our legendary weaponsmith Kel here. Rovod is going to be picking up the art of armorsmithing, so grab whatever upgrades you can find as they become available.

Degel, you'll be in charge of the squad.  Grab a warhammer.
You got it boss.  I'll lead the way.
Ingish, a mace.
I'll bash em good boss.
Kol, your name is too similar to Kel, its confusing me.  From now on you're Sanctume.  Grab an axe.
You make the rules boss.  You point me at 'em, I'll cut 'em down.
Sakzul, a spear.
Pointy end goes in the bad guys, got it boss.
Thob, short sword.
Just like the greatest heroes of legend!
Sure, whatever.  Unib, that human visitor dropped a whip when he decided to attack a goat a while back.  Go grab that and see how it goes for you.
I'm sure my husband will like it at least...
Last but certainly not least, Zulban.
Yes!  I thought I wasn't going to be chosen.  What's my weapon?  A pike, or something even more exotic like one of those curved swords some humans carry?
You don't get one.
Are you sure boss?  I'm sure there will be some extras that Kel crafts.  Can't I have one of those?
Nope, you'll be punching things to death.  I, ummm, have faith in your potential?
(grumbles)

As if on cue, a handful of dark gnome corpses wandered by.  Even in death, they thirst for unguarded booze.  Our military got to cut their teeth on a nice warmup.

As spring turned to summer, a new herd of goats wandered near our settlement close enough to our trap to get everyone excited.

Will the bridge raise in time?  Will the dwarf that decides to pull the lever be 100 levels deep in the fort at the moment?

Goat secured!   The donkey put up enough of a fight to keep the first goat occupied while the bridge was raised.  Unfortunately, the other 3 goats refused to move without their companion, so we are stuck behind the walls again until our military gains enough skill (and armor) to take them on.  I have more faith in an untrained squad of dwarves than I do with elves, but we have seen what kind of carnage they can deal out.

In the meantime, a migrant wave strolled in (thankfully from the south, far far away from the goats).

4 highly skilled dwarves in jobs of need, including an armorsmith!  The king is really pushing for progress here, and we are grateful for the assistance.  We put everyone to work in their designated jobs, and continued building the interior of the fortress proper.  Curiously, there was no human caravan.   Hopefully our terrifying surroundings dont prevent them from ever coming by.  We will need all the training partners we can get.

As the calendar flipped to autumn, the dwarven caravan arrived in the northwest, which meant their path would take them right past the undead goat trap.  While we debated on rushing the squad out to try and protect them, the guards took matters into their own hands.

2 proper dwarven warriors cut through the three undead goats like a scythe through cave wheat.  It lifted all our spirits and inspired our squad in their martial training to be sure.  We got what is likely to be our final migrant wave as the merchants unloaded their goods, as well as a possessed leatherworker completing his masterpiece.

Another crafting mood marked the end of our second year here in Hammervised.  A quick recap of the fortress, now that there is something to actually show.

Plenty of booze, although food stocks are quite low.

The interior courtyard is quite corpsey.  The dwarves are quite reluctant to move them to the refuse stockpile to the west.  The hives are being crafted and installed to the northeast.  Quite a few honey bee colonies on the map, so they are filling up quite nicely.

The tavern is for dwarves and long term residents only.  Stairway down leads to the booze and food stockpile, as well as the kitchen/still area.

The bedroom level.  No doors or cabinets yet, but at least they arent all still sleeping in the entrance tunnel.

The first section of workshops.  Each one has a corresponding quantum stockpile.  The loose stone is all being cleaned up rather quickly, which is nice.  No magma yet, but its not a problem since we need our wood burner to continue gathering experience.

The hospital level is quite deep into the fortress.  Only one well completed with two more on the way, but it's made from a swanky golden block and our artifact mechanism.

~End of Year Two~

6 Legendary Dwarves (plus 2 spare stonecrafters):
Edzul the carpenter
Fath the mechanic
Fikod the plant gatherer
Kel the weaponsmith
NRDL the miner
Doren, Logem, and Ushrir the stonecrafters

57 Legends in Traning
3 Human Monster Hunters that still sit around eating and drinking
15 useless bastards Children

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 03:56:50 am »

PTW

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:17:45 pm »

~Year Three:  Baby's First Siege~

With food being our most pressing issue, we designed a safety bunker so we could begin fishing.

Work continued apace as organization of the fortress proper was our primary focus.  Yet another clothesmaker got a possession and crafted another pretty but useless artifact.

As summer rolled around, we had two joyous events.  First up, the human caravan arrived, allaying any worries that they would not approach such a hostile environment.

We happily traded them some of the masterful spiked wooden balls Edzul has been cranking out for iron and other miscellaneous goods.  Meanwhile, the true dwarven craftsmanship was on display deep below the surface.

The magma collection room was a success.  Four minecarts had been filled with magma, and were waiting on the room to drain before they could be claimed for the good of the fortress.  We had also been able to claim a few pieces of adamantine that were safely harvestable during construction, so crafting even more deadly weapons will be possible in the future.

Once the fishing bunker had been completed, Mosus was given the enviable task of fishing for the remainder of his days here in Hammervised.  Mottled Petrel was given the less enviable task of cleaning them all to boost our food supply.  Both of them were also exempted from all hauling duty as well, which I'm sure they appreciate.

Oh look, another useless artifact, like we need more legendary craftsdw..... 

Woah, Rovod was our novice engraver!  This is a nice boost to our ranks, as the smoothing process throughout the fortress will be much more efficient now.  Unfortunately, tragedy struck soon afterwards...

Fath, one of the original seven founders, was struck down! 

Turns out that horses get quite upset when they have their genitals mutilated.  Who knew?  Fath had just begun her training as a Gelder since we had a superior Animal Dissector migrant late last year.  Our next appointee will require armor and a shield before getting to work.

Speaking of needing armor and a shield...

Looks like the goblin scouting party has finally tracked us down.  A dozen soldiers aiming at attacking us in our time of sorrow.  Quick, all of the civilians need to get inside the walls!  Squad, let's meet up at the entrance so we can...  we can....

Sakzul, what in the name of all that is holy are you doing way out there???
Hi Boss!  Little Mafol here was being fussy, so I figured a nice walk outside might settle her down.
I... you... Out of everything you could have said just now, I can't think of anything that would have made this situation any worse.  Now instead of the squad gathering together and charging the enemy as a unit, we have to send everyone out as soon as possible to try and keep you alive.  Try not to die, I'd hate to have to replace you.  (or would I?)

Sakzul held her own until reinforcements could charge out to her rescue, although it was a close thing.

7 v 12 with our folks in masterwork arms and armor, so it wasnt much of a battle other than keeping Sakzul alive.  She insisted on staying at station to defend against reanimating enemies, so she was temporarily removed from duty so she could be carried to the hospital for treatment.  All of the other citizens came out to haul the corpses out to our new magma dump in the courtyard, which took a while but was a success in the end.

Did you know that the game autopauses and centers whenever small animal traps catch some prey?  I didnt because animal trapping is a giant waste of time, but here we are.  I wonder what more we will learn from our efforts in the future?

Recapping the fortress:

Food is increasing nicely.  Between the fish and the royal jelly from the hives, we have more stews being produced each day. 

A second crafting wing has been dug out and workshops are being added in.  Wood and gems are being put into their quantum stockpiles, which will help the cleanliness of the fortress nicely.

All of the corpses have been dumped in our magma dump in the northwest corner of the courtyard, which should help a few dwarves that have elevated stress levels.  Our alpalca herd is growing steadily, and all 40 hives are in place with honeybees in tow.  Mead production will being shortly, as well as the exciting process known as wax crafting.

A crypt level has been dug out and coffins are being installed.  So far Fath is our only casualty, but we've had a few close calls.  Can't hurt to plan for the future.

~End of Year Three~

8 Legendary Dwarves (plus 2 spare stonecrafters):
Edzul the carpenter
Fath the mechanic
Fikod the plant gatherer
Kel the weaponsmith
Ingish the armorsmith
NRDL the miner
Rovod the engraver
Doren, Logem, and Ushrir the stonecrafters

54 Legends in Training
3 Human Monster Slayers that really need to die or do something productive
17 liabilities Children

(Shorter update this time, but now the fortress is pretty much up and running from a self-sustaining aspect.  Next year the obscure training solutions begin to form!)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 10:44:10 am »

Can you dorf me as a human monster slayer please ? Male if possible. And if you can give me his character and equipment sheet that would be gold
Pages: [1] 2