Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Wrestling as start for military training  (Read 11815 times)

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling as start for military training
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 12:29:18 pm »

After a year or two I have armed herbalists roaming around outside picking daisies while tooled up for action. They have a good chance of not getting scratched by werebeast, long enough for help to arrive, if they have a bit of dodging skill and good kit over their clothes - metal cap, mail shirt, metal greaves gauntlets, leather armor, bone helm, shield, trousers, cloak, hoods... crossbow, wood bolts, war hammer, water and a pack lunch.

They shoot pests and chase kobolds when necessary. Hunters, weavers and woodcutters, wont wear armor while working but herbalism seems most compatible.

I keep the professional security squad sizes at just three or four units large, training 1+1:captain prefered. This optimises sparring and makes the forces easier to split.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:55:00 pm by strainer »
Klok the Kloker !

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 03:51:03 pm »

Interesting.  One reason I started the "no shield/no weapon" training program was that I'd often wind up with militia dwaves with ridiculously good shield skills and fairly minimal armor skills, but your findings suggest that starting with wrestling might delay shield training, but it may not too big a help towards armor training.  I wonder if I should use no shield, but weapon training regimen instead.

Hello everyone, having done a couple of experiments on that same subject during the past couple of weeks, I 'd like to add my two cents in the conversation.

Do note that:
a) I'm still playing on the 43.05 version so there might be some differences with the most current one
b) I'm using Dwarf Therapist to monitor my dwarves.

Experiment 1: Wrestling training before weapon training.

I managed to get my initial dwarves at level 10 in both wrestling and armor (they started with 5 at armor) when a wereantelope attacked and pretty much killed them all. Their equipment at that point was a full set of iron armor (breastplate,mail,helm,high boots, gauntlets, greaves and cloak). As you can tell , my results were quite disappointing, however they are not conclusive.

Experiment 2: Weapons and armor training.

Using the same starting skillset (5 at armor), I gave each of my initial dwarves a full set of iron armor plus a weapon of their choice and let them train. When they all reached 20 at their weapon skill, I also gave them a shield. At that point, their armor skill was between 10 and 15, wrestling was ~ 15-18 and most of them had already reached their limit on strength, agility, toughness etc.

At about the same time I started training a second squad, using the same training plan with one exception, I would give them shields when they all had reached 20 at weapon and 15 at Armor.

Conclusions:

1) Focusing on wrestling seems to be inefficient as a training method. It seems to perform worse as an attacking skill than weapon skills of the same level and most importantly dwarves will train it automatically when sparring with their weapons anyway. As far as attribute training is concerned, both wrestling/weapon training seem to be equally effective.

2) Shield is probably the easiest/fastest skill to train. Both of my squads achieved a skill level of at least 15 by the time they got around 15/18 (from 10 and 15 respectively) at Armor. From experience on previous fortresses, giving them shields from the start, seems to result in very slow armor training. I suspect this is due to dwarves getting too good with shields and blocking most of the incoming blows with them instead of using their armor.

3) There have been no injuries in any of these 3 squads during training. However, on a previous (kobold) fortress, I did have a couple of deaths during training but I'm not sure if it was due to sparring or because they got into a fight among themselves (I think it was always one particular kobold involved).

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 05:33:08 pm »

From messing around in Adventure mode (which assumedly uses the same code, albeit you cannot access the observer-based targetting system in fortress mode -who knows if your dwarves do or not tho!) you can see that shields are absurdly effective and can even retard levelling your dodge skill, you simply block everything unless you find multiple helpless animals attackers. 

Anyhow, the latest thing I tried was 4 ranks of teacher, 1 rank of student, 1 rank of organizer, and 4 ranks of dodge or armor user or shields, on three starting dwarves.  I skipped wrestling this time around because, well, it gets levelled really fast regardless of what you do, it seems.  As soon as dwarves cannot go to a lesson, they start wrestling, tho it may be important to note that none of my dwarves had weapons equipped (or even associated skill ranks). 

Last time I had tried 5 teacher 5 martial-skill.  I didnt notice a big difference in the final skills, in fact in my new setup, everything that was trainable was up to competent by the time the first winter rolled around.  It seeeeemed like the three were far more often involved in lessons (which was the point of giving them a starting boost in organizer) when I looked.  A definite difference is that all three gained ranks in student (none of them did this before and we know this skill multiplies exp gain) as well as organizer (last time only one dwarf got organized).   It could be down to personality/attribute differences, but I think its more likely that giving them novice ranks gives them a leg up for starting the whole process rolling.   

The point here is to create three military masters who will train eachother up in the basics, each one bringing one particular defensive skill to the mix.  This process should go as fast as possible, such that they can begin effectively training new recruits as soon as they arrive, and ideally be ready for splitting up into three weapon-specialized squads by the time the first big migration rolls around. 

I cut the experiment short some time after a necromancer sent six or seven undead at my fort.  I gave them steel battle-axes, mail-shirts, and helms, and a wooden shield each, then sent them off on their merry way.  They mowed down the invading force in milli-seconds, with one dwarf getting a couple bruises on his naked legs (had to strip them they refused to wear their kit omfg that is annoying).  With this one battle, they all got dabbling ranks in the otherwise locked skills of armor-user, axedwarf, and shield user.  Had they not been interrupted, I was going to equip them first with some armor and train that skill up, and finally with shields.  As it was, I was locked in my fort and running out of fuel for the furnaces, so I had to act. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:57:36 pm by daggaz »

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 08:06:22 pm »

Can professional wrestler kill dangerous cavern monsters without weapons?

I usually want to open the cavern quickly and have a legendary dwarf ASAP so I always embark with bronze sword. If professional wrestlers can kill the threats then I think it'll be better if I don't bring him weapon when embark.

When I was playing adventurer mode the wrestle attack can be quite efficient that I can either grasp foe's weapons or strangle them at will with a high skill. Can fortress dwarf be smart enough make the same strategy?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 10:23:33 pm »

Can professional wrestler kill dangerous cavern monsters without weapons?
Sometimes. There is no certain outcome. They will do better than dwarfs with no wrestling skill, for the reasons martinuzz posted.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 03:16:17 am »

Interesting.  One reason I started the "no shield/no weapon" training program was that I'd often wind up with militia dwaves with ridiculously good shield skills and fairly minimal armor skills, but your findings suggest that starting with wrestling might delay shield training, but it may not too big a help towards armor training.  I wonder if I should use no shield, but weapon training regimen instead.

I've started a new fortress yesterday to do some more testing on this. I'm currently on the process of producing the necessary amounts of equipment, food and drink to sustain a 10-20 year long lockdown with all of my dwarves (capped at 30)  in a training regiment. Hopefully my wrestlers will survive this time and I'll be able to get some useful data.

edit: corrected the format of my answer
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:14:10 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 10:16:32 am »

Maybe worth mentioning that unless testing the same set of dwarves, with same access to facilities the results will tend to differ on their own. Besides having unique mind and body stats, dwarves can also have dozens of personality aspects which affect performance/reaction to roles, relationships and circumstances. They are bizarrely complicated characters.

Not saying observation isnt worth it, just beware the games level of detail tends to produce different outcomes.
Klok the Kloker !

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 12:03:24 pm »

As many others here, I start my entire population training in Wrestling long before anything else.  I tend to have my entire citizenry on a one month per six month training rotation.  As quickly as I can, I equip them all with a helm just in case of accidents.  I add more armor over time until everyone is decked in at least iron.  Once I start noticing Proficient Wrestlers, only then do I give them a weapon.  Similarly, only once they are Proficient in Armor do I equip them with Shields.

As long as I've been doing this, I've never had a sparring accident.  Other than of course the Dodging/Teleporting through walls into open space and falling several z-levels.  That part sucks.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2018, 01:16:44 pm »

I have the results from my training experiment and so… here comes the rant. In order to keep the post readable, I’ll post both a tl,dr version and a more detailed report, inside spoilers. If you believe that the more detailed version is outside the scope of this thread or it belongs in a different forum section please say so and I'll post it there.

TL,DR:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Detailed version:

This is already too long of post as it is, so I won’t post any charts or data tables. If anyone wants to take a look at the data I gathered then I’d be happy to give them to him/her.

edit #1: Added the "Training Suggestion" section in the "Detailed version".

edit #2 (5/2/2018): It appears I've made a mistake with my interpretation of Dwarf Therapist's attribute scale. As feelotraveller explained to me, it ranks attributes in relation with the rest of your population. That means that a dwarf with a stable score throughout the years hasn't necessarily reached his maximum in that attribute (as I thought) but that he remains in the same rank compared to his fellows. Due to the way that I've collected my data (taking screenshots), I sadly don't have access to the ingame attribute values so my observations on attribute groth is inconclusive at best and plainly wrong at worst.

edit #3 (9/2/2018): Updated to include the results from the "wrestler + shield" squad.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:10:32 pm by Ulfarr »

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 01:52:39 pm »

Bravo!  This is excellent.  Much appreciated!  :)

I have the results from my training experiment and so… here comes the rant. In order to keep the post readable, I’ll post both a tl,dr version and a more detailed report, inside spoilers. If you believe that the more detailed version is outside the scope of this thread or it belongs in a different forum section please say so and I'll post it there.

TL,DR:

Detailed version:

This is already too long of post as it is, so I won’t post any charts or data tables. If anyone wants to take a look at the data I gathered then I’d be happy to give them to him/her.

edit: Added the "Training Suggestion" section in the "Detailed version".

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2018, 02:16:20 pm »

Bravo!  This is excellent.  Much appreciated!  :)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 01:42:12 am »

How long did it take the respective groups to both begin showing appreciable attribute gains, and to reach the maximum in those attributes?

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 02:28:23 am »

TL,DR:

Detailed version:

edit: Added the "Training Suggestion" section in the "Detailed version".

That was a fun read. I think I'll probably start training my militia with a training weapon without a shield, just for the sake of it being a balanced middle ground.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 04:04:02 am »

How long did it take the respective groups to both begin showing appreciable attribute gains, and to reach the maximum in those attributes?

Define "appreciable", please. :D

In general, all three groups would start showing some progress within a couple of months from the start of their training, however it would be in fairly small increments, so I'd say that it would take at least a year before their training will have any noticeable effect in the game. 

For the second part of your question I'm afraid, I don't have a better answer than "it depends". Some dwarves in each group would not have reached their maximum in some attributes even by the end of the fourth year, while they would have maxed their  other attributes within 1.5-2 years (unbelievable strong but clumsy dwarves). One specific case was a dwarf who started with a very bad score of 11 strength  (unquestionably weak ?), and would reach his maximum of about 62 (strong) sometime before the end of year three. Other dwarves would reach their max even sooner than that either because they would have spawned with their attributes near their limit or because they would spawn with low scores but they would have low limits too.

For more specific numbers, I'll post a table with their attribute growth over the months, when I get back from work.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 04:09:37 am »

No no, fair enough, you answered my poorly-defined question suffieciently, thank you.  I asked because I want to train my smiths for stat-gain, and was curious how much in-game time it would take out of their smithing regimine.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6