Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things you wish you could do in DF and probably can  (Read 1684 times)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
Things you wish you could do in DF and probably can
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:50:37 pm »

I frequently find myself thinking, "Man, I wish I could....you know, there probably IS a command for that."

Do you?

Here's a few things I wish I could do that there's probably a command for:

• * find out why one of my dorfs is crying
    * search through the trade agreement menus for string matches (I would prefer all my leather to be cat leather, but cycling through those lists is cumbersome!)
    * set my masons to make statues about the history of an entire category of entities (ie, dwarven gods, or minotaurs, etc). Greedy, I know, since we just got the feature recently
    * an OSX equivalent to Legends Viewer.
    * drag-select an area to designate for dumping. (in df-hack)

What are yours?

Does some kind veteran want to point us newbies* the right way?

* I may have first started playing this game in 2011, but I have yet to make enough iron gear to outfit a squad, so I think I still count as a newb.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Things you wish you could do in DF and probably can
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:50:50 am »

I can help with the dumping.

Hit d-b-d and then mark out a rectangle, everything inside is now marked for dumping.
In the same d-b menu you will also find mass forbidding, reclaiming and melting. All very useful to have.
Can't say if they're DfHack or not, since I don't play without it.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:17:47 am »

I can help with the dumping.

Hit d-b-d and then mark out a rectangle, everything inside is now marked for dumping.
In the same d-b menu you will also find mass forbidding, reclaiming and melting. All very useful to have.
Can't say if they're DfHack or not, since I don't play without it.
d-b-d is vanilla. Dragging it with a mouse is probably dfhack (not sure, don't use a mouse except to zoom).

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 05:09:19 am »

Mouse cursor is definitely df-hack.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 05:13:39 pm »

Figure out which setting in advanced world gen is capable of causing 20-30 volcanoes to spawn in a large world. I'm sure it's perfectly possible, I just don't actually know how to do it.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:41:57 pm »

Figure out which setting in advanced world gen is capable of causing 20-30 volcanoes to spawn in a large world. I'm sure it's perfectly possible, I just don't actually know how to do it.
There is literally a minimum volcano setting.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:50 pm »

A more verbose and less technical version of http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation would be pretty great:

Volcanism
Volcanism controls the occurrence of Igneous Layers, and the formation of volcanoes. For a volcano to form, a square must have a volcanism value of 100 so reducing the maximum from 100 will make volcanoes impossible. Raising the minimum will increase the rarity of non-igneous layers.

Setting minimum to high value is not a good way to produce multiple volcanoes as you are likely to get a "Volcanism not evenly distributed" rejection. Instead use the Minimum Number of Volcanoes parameter and possibly adjust the weighted ranges for volcanism as described below.

So, Minimum Number of Volcanoes is what you're looking for. I was playing around with this earlier this week, and I think the number of volcanoes may change the world temperature, so 20-30 volcanoes may mean you're playing on a Scorching map. Or that could have just been those two maps.

---

Tangent: What happened to all the images on the wiki?

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 06:19:05 am »

While I have no access to Legends Viewer myself (Linux...), I can recommend Legends Browser ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155307.0 ). It runs as a webserver, allowing you to browse legends files using a web-browser.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 06:33:05 am »

Look through their thoughts and preferences screen using z then d (IIRC). 
Just start typing in the trade menu? (On second thoughts, I think I'm getting confused with the bring goods menu.)
Min volcano number just throws out worlds without enough volcanoes, so it might take a while to gen.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:39:31 am »

There's one thing that I'd really like:
o) Build roads to other sites

Given that we now have a world overview in fort mode (c key) that feature might not be too far off, or eventually already there?
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 09:32:16 am »

So, Minimum Number of Volcanoes is what you're looking for. I was playing around with this earlier this week, and I think the number of volcanoes may change the world temperature, so 20-30 volcanoes may mean you're playing on a Scorching map. Or that could have just been those two maps. 

volcanism parameters have nothing to do with temperature parameters, which are clearly labelled as such.   volcanism range simply scales from 0 to 100 the state of a region from : soil -> sedimentary -> metamorphic -> igneous intrusive -> igneous extrusive.  You need igneous extrusive for volcanos to form. 

If you also want iron ores, you need sedimentary so you should make sure sedimentary layers can also form (and as far as I can see, have a high drainage factor too). If you want the iron on the same embark as a volcano, you should set the variance for volcanism to its maximum, use the largest grid size (16 x 16), and put all the weighting on the first (or second, as the first is soil I believe) and last spots.  You will still get all possible layers this way, you just maximize your chances for finding magma pipes with iron ore deposits.  So it should be
volcano variance x : 3200
volcano variance y : 3200
grid : 16 x 16
weighting 1 : 0 : 0 : 0 : 1
minimum volcano number : 200.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:42:19 am by daggaz »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 11:14:41 am »

As far as I understand, volcanoes need 100% volcanism to form. Using a PSV world you can then surround each potential volcano tile with 0% volcanism tiles, if you like to get an embark with two (or more) (geo) biomes. It's obviously more work and fewer surprises to make a PSV world, though.

I believe all geo biomes I've looked at have had a mixture of soil layer types, although all types haven't been present in all geo biomes. You always get soil at the top unless you embark at a mountain or ocean (I'm not sure what glaciers does to the soil, though. I think the ice adds on top of the soil). It's reasonable to assume the amount of volcanic rock is based on the volcanism level, though.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 03:21:44 pm »

Yeah, you need igneous extrusive with a rank of 100 (it goes from 81 to 100), but you cant really control that using the options in the advanced world generation setup, so you just leave the max allowable at 100 and bump up the weighting for igneous extrusive layers.  Or you can use the paintbrush as you say, but thats CHEATING =D