Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Demon Summoning Test (round 2)  (Read 34593 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Summoning Test
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »

I prefer the simpler style. Arenas are never much more than flavour anyway.
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 12:15:26 pm »

I prefer the simpler style. Arenas are never much more than flavour anyway.
Yeah, I guess I mean you could tell them to do things they couldn't do in this version. Like rip off limbs or whatever.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:42 pm »

I'd like to see something more arena like, personally. Also

"MEATBALL!"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2018, 05:24:48 pm »

Bismtifula hurls a bloody whirlpool at Mepifia and the water hurls the opposing demon about, slamming it to the ground and pelting it with debris. However, despite the massive assault, Mepifia seems only mildly injured. Mepifia coils and leaps, wrapping itself around Bismitifula and squeezing it in a crushing embrace. Bismitifula, despite its size and power, seems to be more injured than one would expect from the attack.

"Good work, Peh. Now finish him."
I'd like to see something more arena like, personally. Also

"MEATBALL!"
Before Meatball can slither away and counterattack, Peh surges forward and sinks claw teeth into it. The claws catch hold and the demon rips its opponent in half with a single motion.

OZ WINS 

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 06:00:04 pm »

as simple as this game is, we have basically two inputs: creating a sigil, and determining among three options for combat.
once the sigil is generated, the game runs itself no apparent training, no "power points," no demonic development.

This is fine as far as it goes, but it seems like the combat could be reduced even further, or accelerated in some way, to focus the game on sigil generation rather than (wait for player b to chose between options a, b, and c.

or just have a random action if a player fails to post within a given time.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2018, 07:54:55 pm »

Ranged

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 08:05:14 pm »

oh my. yotta and njw's battle is heating up. An unexpected show of strength and resilience from the underdog!

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2018, 09:34:45 pm »

Use Bissy's second power.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2018, 05:50:14 am »

oh my. yotta and njw's battle is heating up. An unexpected show of strength and resilience from the underdog!
Yes, but what did the hearts do, and who is the underdog?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:53 am »

Use Bissy's second power.

Ranged
Mepifia slams a corrosive body section down onto Bis and deals some serious damage. Bis again uses its second power and forms flotsam shields around itself.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:33 am »

Ranged

I'm now torn between the two proposed styles.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2018, 10:07:16 am »

Third Power
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2018, 04:56:21 am »

as simple as this game is, we have basically two inputs: creating a sigil, and determining among three options for combat.
once the sigil is generated, the game runs itself no apparent training, no "power points," no demonic development.

This is fine as far as it goes, but it seems like the combat could be reduced even further, or accelerated in some way, to focus the game on sigil generation rather than (wait for player b to chose between options a, b, and c.

When it comes to the simplicity in player actions/combat, this game is still currently a test. Once Piecewise is satisfied I'm sure things will become rapidly more complex and interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if players end up commanding multiple demons at some point. Whether that be in this test, or in a fully realized game who knows. This is basically a post to watch really. As for the combat question, I'd prefer a bit more depth in combat. I'm not actually playing though so eh. Of course, the simplified system is probably for the best if you intend to have team based battles at any point because just having multiple targets/allies adds a lot of strategic depth innately.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 04:50:39 pm »

When it comes to the simplicity in player actions/combat, this game is still currently a test. Once Piecewise is satisfied I'm sure things will become rapidly more complex and interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if players end up commanding multiple demons at some point. Whether that be in this test, or in a fully realized game who knows. This is basically a post to watch really. As for the combat question, I'd prefer a bit more depth in combat. I'm not actually playing though so eh. Of course, the simplified system is probably for the best if you intend to have team based battles at any point because just having multiple targets/allies adds a lot of strategic depth innately.
Of course it's just a test. But PW specifically asked if we preferred simpler or more freeform.

my response is: I like simpler, for a fast paced tournament style game. That means that the biggest chokepoint to the action is going to be the delay between player actions. Which can be remedied by having a standard auto-action and time limit.

If the system is developed for a more complex or freeform style, however, then I think additional game mechanics are going to be needed, and the game will invariably be a slower paced one.

I like the idea of running this as a simple (double elimination) tournament game a couple times before pushing it beyond that into whatever concept PW has for the final system. That way we find more of the kinks and cracks more quickly, and can flesh it out better. Of course, the drawback is - designing in one envronment is no guarantee of success in another environment. But it's at least a start.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2018, 05:46:53 pm »

Ranged

I'm now torn between the two proposed styles.
Third Power
Mep hurls another body section, dealing damage again. Bis attempts to use another power, lashing out with a whip made of lightning, but it has no effect.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10