Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Cryptocurrency?  (Read 14418 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Cryptocurrency?
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2018, 05:25:56 pm »

To be fair, everyone wishes that they could have sold back in 2017. Myself included.

Ah well, I'll just wait and see where the market goes from here
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2018, 05:44:46 pm »

I don't own any cryptocurrency and don't plan to for the foreseeable future either.  I believe it's completely possible that cryptocurrency will become a mainstream thing one day, but right now it's still a curiosity and a way to speculate on currencies, which amounts to gambling as far as I'm concerned.

I know a guy who bought into a lot of cryptocurrencies after the big BitCoin crash, hoping to buy the dip.  He's currently down about $2000.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2018, 06:01:32 pm »

Some historical price perspective is in order:

Bitcoin's price is actually higher now than before the spike. It spiked up starting in late October, then fell, but it's still higher now than any period in the history of Bitcoin prior to October 2017. If you got coins any time between 2009 - October 2017, you're still in profit now. If this was a stock, no analyst would be saying the price is down, because it's just not. People are just talking the price down but, it's entirely against actual factual reasoning to say that.

A lot of people constantly predict it'll plummet to zero "any day" whenever there's a drop, but the price just keeps stabilizing at higher levels than the stable points before. That it peaked then fell isn't a good argument. Long-term trends are in fact more meaningful than short-term trends.  Remember that the coins from mining will halve in just under 2 years. Every time there's been a halving so far has been met with price hikes since the supply of new coins is reduced.

Some people will counter that crypto-coins have no "intrinsic" value. But this argument is pretty meaningless. Hardly anything has intrinsic value. For example gold being a good investment is only because other people agree that gold has "trade value".

Similarly governments don't "guarantee" the value of paper money (counter to some people's claims), because you can't give money to the government and get anything tangible goods back (such as gold during the gold standard days), all governments do is regulate inflows and outflows of money to maintain liquidity in the market. And that's something you could totally build into a crypto-coin. in 2 years, there's going to be a supply reduction in bitcoin. If we assume the same logic holds as for fiat currencies, then the price rises in reaction to a contraction in supply.

I'm not saying any current crypto-coin is the way to go, just pointing out that many of the criticisms aren't necessarily valid. Bitcoin is like a stock, warts and all. But, just like stock market bubbles don't disprove the stock market, a bitcoin bubble doesn't disprove bitcoin. so people who make arguments like "it must be inherently worthless because there's a bubble" aren't really being logical, they're just expressing an opinion "bitcoin is worthless" then using confirmation bias and finding all problems with bitcoin, then claiming those problems mean "bitcoin is worthless". Which is the very point they set out to prove, so they're using circular reasoning.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:15:58 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:33 pm »

No, gold is intrinsically valuable because it's shiny. And obviously shiny things are valuable.
So really, if someone were to make a blockchain that's physically shiny, that would eliminate literally every problem with cryptocurrency.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »

Man trying to get relevant information about crypto from places like reddit is an absolute nightmare.
The level of co-hype or cheer pressure or whatnot is incredible.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2018, 10:04:22 pm »

I've never been able to tolerate anything on reddit for more than a few minutes. It just seems like reading news is one thing, why would I stick around to argue with ill-informed people about it? Reddit is just the comments section but without the articles.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2018, 11:05:33 pm »

I was donated some etherium way back in the spike.

I've since come to the conclusion that cryptocurrency is worthless.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2018, 11:16:52 pm »

Value is only meaningful in that someone else will exchange it with you for other stuff. People (someone) will give you more than $US6000 for a bitcoin. It's not worthless by definition. Dollars are just worthless paper as well.

Worthless vs valuable is a consensus thing, that is determined by markets. Currently, the market disagrees. 99.999% of people who are not engaged in that market are free to consider them worthless, but as long as there are enough people trading them, then they aren't worthless.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:32:03 pm by Reelya »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2018, 05:24:26 am »

Reddit is just the comments section but without the articles.

In my view, Reddit is just any other web forum but with non-linear formatting allowing for more logically structured conversations, and a consolidated account system so you don't have to come up with a new username and password for every subject you wish to discuss. The fact that certain corners of reddit have become hotbeds for Anonymous Andys to hurl hatred and profanity at each other does not really make it any different from any other website on the internet.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2018, 06:33:35 am »

Then can I have your 'worthless' etherium?  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2018, 07:22:14 am »

Then can I have your 'worthless' etherium?  :P

I'd have to find it.

Plus I like watching the value fall.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2018, 11:59:27 pm »

In a forum-relevant bit of news, the price of bitcoin spiked by over $300 today in under 1 minute. The reason appears to have been that one of the big exchanges went down for routine maintenance (like bay12 just did), and the spike happened literally at that same moment.

https://www.ccn.com/newsflash-bitcoin-price-spikes-near-6900-as-bitmex-goes-offline/

I mean, look at coindesk, and the price rise is like the fucking "Wall" in Attack on Titan:

https://www.coindesk.com/price/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:01:33 am by Reelya »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:06 am »

I'm mining coin at home for tuppence a day. I'm tempted to start doing it here at work as well.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2018, 07:01:38 am »

What coins are you mining?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2018, 07:09:14 am »

Bitcoins, since it's easy, and widely recognised. I reckon that for a crypto to survive without the context of national backing that holds up most currencies, it has to be recognised. Such is the nature of all currency that has no use value because otherwise anyone can simply declare that it is worth nothing.  That being the case, bitcoin is the most famous and therefore the most likely to possess some value by the time this whole thing blows up.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9