Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with Castes and Forming Playable Civilizations  (Read 978 times)

Senti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trouble with Castes and Forming Playable Civilizations
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:11:11 am »

So I'm trying to get civilizations running with an assortment of gemstone/stone/metal creatures based off of the amethyst man raws. The idea is for it to be playable in fort mode. I've played fort mode a lot as various animal people, but this is my first time trying to make an intricate race with significant differences in the caste system. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work, I've been tinkering with it for about a week now and I'm looking if anyone can point out where I'm messing up here. I've narrowed down the problem to the creature files, as I can swap other animal people out in the entity file for the civilization and have them form playable civilizations no problem. As long as I'm using this creature file for the civilization entity file, they will not form playable civilizations at world gen. I've tried half a dozen or so configurations, this is what it looks like right now, are there any obvious mistakes I am making?

Code: [Select]
[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_GEM]

[DESCRIPTION:A strange crystalline creature the shape of a human.]
[NAME:crystal man:crystal men:crystal man]
[CREATURE_TILE:'M']
[NOBONES]
[NOPAIN]
[EXTRAVISION]
[NOBREATHE]
[NOSTUN]
[NONAUSEA]
[NOEXERT]
[NO_DIZZINESS]
[NO_FEVERS]
[NO_DRINK]
[NO_EAT]
[NO_SLEEP]
[NOT_LIVING]
[INTELLIGENT]
[STRANGE_MOODS]
[TRANCES]
[BENIGN]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[EQUIPS]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[NOFEAR]
[ODOR_LEVEL:0]
[SMELL_TRIGGER:10000]
[PREFSTRING:rockiness]

[PROFESSION_NAME:CRAFTSMAN:craftsgem:craftsgems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:FISHERMAN:fishergem:fishergems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:HAMMERMAN:hammergem:hammergems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:SPEARMAN:speargem:speargems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:CROSSBOWMAN:marksgem:marksgems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:AXEMAN:axegem:axegems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:SWORDSMAN:swordsgem:swordsgems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MACEMAN:macegem:macegems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:PIKEMAN:pikegem:pikegems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:BOWMAN:bowgem:bowgems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_CROSSBOWMAN:Elite Marksgem:Elite Marksgems]
[PROFESSION_NAME:MASTER_BOWMAN:Elite Bowgem:Elite Bowgems]
[SPEECH:dwarf.txt]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph
[SWIMS_LEARNED]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:BASHFUL:0:45:100]
[PERSONALITY:SINGLEMINDED:0:55:100]
[PERSONALITY:GREED:0:55:100]
[MANNERISM_HEAD:head]
[MANNERISM_FEET:feet]
[MANNERISM_ARMS:arms]
[MANNERISM_HANDS:hands]
[MANNERISM_LEG:leg]
[MANNERISM_LAUGH]
[MANNERISM_SMILE]
[MANNERISM_WALK]
[MANNERISM_SIT]
[MANNERISM_POSTURE]

[GAIT:WALK:Sprint:351:10:3:730:50:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:50]
[GAIT:WALK:Run:561:5:3:730:10:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:20]
[GAIT:WALK:Jog:730:NO_BUILD_UP:5:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:10]
[GAIT:WALK:Walk:900:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:WALK:Stroll:1900:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:WALK:Creep:2900:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:CLIMB:Scramble:731:10:3:2257:50:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:50]
[GAIT:CLIMB:Faster Climb:1525:5:3:2257:10:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:20]
[GAIT:CLIMB:Fast Climb:2257:NO_BUILD_UP:5:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:10]
[GAIT:CLIMB:Climb:2990:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:CLIMB:Slow Climb:4300:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:CLIMB:Creep:6100:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:CRAWL:Scramble:731:10:3:2257:50:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:50]
[GAIT:CRAWL:Faster Crawl:1525:5:3:2257:10:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:20]
[GAIT:CRAWL:Fast Crawl:2257:NO_BUILD_UP:5:LAYERS_SLOW:STRENGTH:AGILITY:STEALTH_SLOWS:10]
[GAIT:CRAWL:Crawl:2990:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:CRAWL:Slow Crawl:4300:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[GAIT:CRAWL:Creep:6100:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
[BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]

[CASTE:AMETHYST]
[CASTE_NAME:amethyst woman:amethyst women:amethyst woman]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[SELECT_CASTE:AMETHYST]
[TISSUE:ROCK]
[TISSUE_NAME:amethyst:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:AMETHYST]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ROCK]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:70000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[ITEMCORPSE:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:AMETHYST]
[COLOR:5:0:1]
[CASTE:ONYX]
[CASTE_NAME:onyx man:onyx men:onyx man]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ONYX]
[TISSUE:ROCK]
[TISSUE_NAME:onyx:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:ONYX]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ROCK]
[ITEMCORPSE:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:ONYX]
[COLOR:0:0:1]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[ATTACK:PUNCH:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:GRASP]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:punch:punches]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:STANCE]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:4]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]
[ALL_ACTIVE]

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Castes and Forming Playable Civilizations
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:15:10 am »

You never gave them a [BODY]. You want to do that before defining any tissues, so near the start where it is with most creature files. Also there's no need to use the [CASTE] token to define a caste and then use [SELECT_CASTE] to select it. When you first define a caste it's already selected.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:20:06 am »

Your creature file is a little bit disjointed, keep it all together with the correct syntax. Off the bat if you're making a new creature file it might just be easier to insert them into creature_standard for the time being if you've written the file down incorrectly and confused the system trying to read a new creature file.

I notice you've copied ontop of the dwarf raws, which is a dicey thing to do over writing fresh ones yourself (also because dwarves are kind of OP)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can you show us your entity entry? Besides from the possibly faulty creature file (someone else will need to chip in and tell both of us whether your effort to port it to its own file was correctly done) the creature looks ok, i've made some small alterations to syntax that should make it correct.

You never gave them a [BODY]. You want to do that before defining any tissues, so near the start where it is with most creature files. Also there's no need to use the [CASTE] token to define a caste and then use [SELECT_CASTE] to select it. When you first define a caste it's already selected.

They gave it [BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE] which is the same template used for grimelings, but they are right that [SELECT_CASTE] isn't nessecary until you stop talking about the caste and say [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] to resume the file, and i've made some mid-writing edits to my code fix for you.

Hold the phones, i've found another issue, they don't have a universal body-height & both the castes are identically matched, doesn't need to be defined seperately to the caste if it applies to all, edited the fix respectively

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:35:25 am by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:46:29 am »

Your creature file is a little bit disjointed, keep it all together with the correct syntax. Off the bat if you're making a new creature file it might just be easier to insert them into creature_standard for the time being if you've written the file down incorrectly and confused the system trying to read a new creature file.

I notice you've copied ontop of the dwarf raws, which is a dicey thing to do over writing fresh ones yourself (also because dwarves are kind of OP)

I disagree with every word of this. Copy dwarves or humans for sure to get started, put things in their own file, just make sure the file is properly formatted.

Senti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:03:31 am »

EDIT: I solved the issue, it was actually the way I was formatting files. Thanks for the formatting help! Going to save a lot of time and energy in future modding.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:50:45 pm by Senti »