Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 105495 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #945 on: December 24, 2019, 11:38:23 am »

I thought Rey and Kylo's thing was a reference to Kreia and Exile's relationship in KOTOR 2, but I suppose in hindsight that's giving this movie far, far too much credit, even if it were a good movie to begin with. They failed to fill even the tiniest of plot holes, how would they be clever enough to reference a 15-year-old game that hardly anybody liked?

What was Finn gonna say to Rey?  I have heard JJ Abrams said he was gonna say he was force sensitive, and he obviously is in this movie, but I don't buy that cause why would he be cagey about that?

Hell, I thought he was Force sensitive at the end of TFA, given he takes Rey's lightsaber and does a bunch of Jedi shit for the finale. Nope, just one of many dropped threads.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:42:40 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 24, 2019, 11:59:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 24, 2019, 12:00:39 pm »

I thought Rey and Kylo's thing was a reference to Kreia and Exile's relationship in KOTOR 2, but I suppose in hindsight that's giving this movie far, far too much credit, even if it were a good movie to begin with. They failed to fill even the tiniest of plot holes, how would they be clever enough to reference a 15-year-old game that hardly anybody liked?
Strike thy tongue from thy mouth, blasphemer!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 24, 2019, 12:25:05 pm »

Hey, I loved KOTOR 2, but my understanding is that it didn't sell well and not a lot of people remember it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 24, 2019, 01:39:03 pm »

Strike thy tongue from thy mouth, blasphemer!
Hey, I loved KOTOR 2, but my understanding is that it didn't sell well and not a lot of people remember it.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 24, 2019, 02:03:52 pm »

Shoes...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 24, 2019, 02:05:15 pm »

He has the force's dna, duh.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 24, 2019, 06:31:22 pm »

Are we sure he made the other dude the old fashioned way... I mean not force old fashioned, but penis old fashioned... I'm gonna start calling my penis "The Old Fashion" btw, so just remember you did this to the missus.

Also: My Old Fashioned Fuckstick==Moff!

Regarding less sillyflippyspinny battles: Obi Wan vs Maul from Rebels.

Even though the one with Palpatine vs Maul+Savage had a lot of the glowstick stuff it is still a cool fight and easier to figure out what is happening than the prequel ones where it runs into the same problem the bayformer movies did: looking like you threw a bunch of toys at each other and recorded them colliding and bouncing around.

The tracer afterimage helps amazingly there to convey both speed and trajectory clearly. Love the little flourish at the start where he's just slicing up the floor because fuck you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 24, 2019, 08:11:56 pm »

It's the semantic difference: "hardly anyone played" would have been less ambiguous.

"Hardly anyone liked" makes it sounds like a lot of people played it, but didn't like it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 08:19:08 pm by Reelya »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 24, 2019, 10:44:39 pm »

I don't like Palpatine having a lightsaber.  He didn't have one in the OT and he obviously thinks little of them, he calls it a "jedi weapon."  Darth Vader has a lightsaber cause he's a fallen jedi, but then they made every sith just an evil jedi with a red lightsaber.

Star Wars is just shackled to the OT, to weird inferences and conclusions drawn from random lines in the OT.  Darth Vader is a bad guy with a red lightsaber but people thought he was cool so now he's Space Jesus and all sith are named Darth with a red lightsaber (even though in one of the original cuts Obi-Wan calls him "Darth" as a first name).  All jedi have lightsabers, even yoda, whose entire point as a character was that being a jedi is about more than being a badass warrior. 

It can't go anywhere new or interesting, even the best of the EU stuff is just remixing ideas from the OT.  It's a zombie franchise, just endlessly going through the motions.  I kind of hate it, honestly.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:53:01 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 25, 2019, 06:36:59 am »

Vader can't get a break
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 25, 2019, 08:10:03 am »

They are meant to be interested in making a KOTOR-type series or movie that’s set millennia before the OT.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 25, 2019, 09:09:17 am »

It can't go anywhere new or interesting, even the best of the EU stuff is just remixing ideas from the OT.  It's a zombie franchise, just endlessly going through the motions.  I kind of hate it, honestly.

One example of the OT stuff having paper-thin veneer papering over the lack of believable world-building is the clever "Evil McEvilface" type naming scheme for the Sith that runs out of options after exactly two examples. Darth (in)Vader then Darth (in)Sidious, but after exactly those two examples they ran out of ominious sounding "in" words.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 25, 2019, 09:32:52 am »

Vader also basically being Germanic for "father" which I guess makes it a pun. I didn't quite notice the "in" theme but makes sense, explains why "Vader" sounds ominous on its face.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 25, 2019, 10:48:59 am »

One example of the OT stuff having paper-thin veneer papering over the lack of believable world-building is the clever "Evil McEvilface" type naming scheme for the Sith that runs out of options after exactly two examples. Darth (in)Vader then Darth (in)Sidious, but after exactly those two examples they ran out of ominious sounding "in" words.

That reminds me, for The Force Unleashed they wanted darth vader's apprentice to be a darth and asked George Lucas for suggestions, he gave them Darth Icky and Darth Insanious, and never discussed it again.  Everyone complains about Disney trashing the EU, but Lucas hated the EU and didn't bother to disguise his contempt for it.

The first order is another good example of the complete void of creativity that Star Wars is.  The empire is defeated and the republic is restored.  A new imperial remnant is trying to restore the old order.  They have an interstellar superweapon and giant spaceships and the people fighting them are the "resistance."  Why?  Why is the republic still "resisting?"  They're the status quo now!  This should've been a reversal of the old formula, where the first order is small and weak, maybe one of many imperial remnant organizations that the republic is slowly taking out with their superior forces, and maybe they pull some clever coup (clever meaning not an insterstellar superweapon to just automatically win) to put the republic on the defensive.

Instead it's just the same shit as before.  It's always the same shit.  It will never be anything different.  Star Wars has nothing new or interesting to say.  The OT was a fluke, mostly carried by Empire, and with a few rare exceptions (also flukes) the rest is just endlessly remixing the OT's ideas without the soul that made it work.

So like any proper star wars fans, we all hate star wars, and like any proper star wars fans, we have ideas for how we would've done the prequels/sequels.  So what are they, show your cards.

If Disney held a gun to my head and told me to outline a reboot of the sequel trilogy, I'd do the above.  There's dozens of remnant forces, planetary governors and admirals with a few ships and a couple planets still holding out, and the Republic is slowly clearing them out.  They've got a new giant ship, equivalent to the giant ship in TLJ, which they keep in orbit around the Republic homeworld and they're always arguing over whether or not they need it.  Leia is chancellor.  The first order, under the cover of insignificance, has been using Snoke and Kylo to unite the remnant forces, and they infiltrate the Republic military, seizing control of the Big Ship and invading the republic homeworld in one big coup.  The B-story is the republic forces suddenly thrown into this brutal urban war for survival. 

Meanwhile in the A-story, Rey is an orphan on a backwater planet, working as a thief and intuitively using the force.  She meets Luke who's passing through on a mysterious errand, and manages to steal his lightsaber.  When she goes to fence it, remnant agents in the criminal underworld recognize it and send word back to the First Order, who's looking for Luke.  They also try to capture Rey, who uses the force to escape.  Kylo and the Knights of Ren go to find her and the lightsaber.  Finn learns about this plan and steals the transmission, using it as a bargaining chip to defect, for the same reason he defected in the original.  Poe doesn't trust him, Leia has the force and knows he's trustworthy/force sensitive himself, and she sends Poe and Finn together, along with a small crew, to find Rey before the Kylo gets to her.  They kind of hate each other at force, but Finn uses his stormtrooper credentials and knowledge of how they operate, Poe uses his piloting skills, they learn to trust each other, become friends, maybe fall in love (maybe that's why Leia made them go together), make Disney put their progressive money where their progressive mouth is and stop tiptoeing around it.

So plots converge there, Han also shows up and meets Luke for the last time, the scene we didn't get in the original, Kylo kills him and they go on a race to find Luke.

Turns out!  Luke has become disillusioned with the force, and in an echo of Darth Vader's "bring order to the galaxy," has decided if people can't use the force for good, no one can have it anymore.  He wants to sever the galaxy's connection to the force, somehow.  Maybe merge with the lingering remnant of palpatine, the feedback shattering the force, maybe find some force nexus on Korriban or some similar planet, who knows.  Second movie something happens.  Kylo fights Luke, gets his ass whooped, but Luke refuses to kill him.  They learn Luke's evil plan.  Rey redeems Kylo in the third movie and he use his super TIE fighter to do the Holdo move on the Big Republic Ship, killing Snoke and giving the republic the opportunity to turn the fight around.  Rey, along with Kylo's sacrifice, restores Luke's faith in the force, but he dies.  Rey and maybe Finn take up his mantle to start a new jedi order.  Then darth maul shows up with robot legs.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:22:53 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81