Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 105534 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #915 on: December 20, 2019, 10:09:23 pm »

I was less bored than TLJ. In TLJ, with all the back and forth cutting it felt like every 5 minutes they cut back to the people on the Rebel ship just standing around talking interminably about how they were in the Big Space Chase, and this went on for two hours. I really started to hate Poe in that movie because of how often he was in those scenes just standing around talking about being chased and nothing actually happening.

If the JJ Abrams movies all suffer from any specific problem too much, it's that there's way to much "we gotta go to place X to find the MacGuffin Z" plots. In RPG terms, consider if you crossed out all the JJ Abrams "side quests" where the only reward was some MacGuffin, or finding some person who could unlock the locked MacGuffin, as optional and boiled it down to the main story, how much would be left?

Consider that there were plenty of side stories and set pieces in the original movies and even the prequels, but they weren't quite as stuffed to the gills with MacGuffin Plots. By that I mean, in the Lucas films, they're going to places because of other reasons, and plot happens along the way, setting up the set pieces, whereas in these films there's way too much of "only on Planet X is there a person who has thing Y / can fix thing Z" etc, and the plot consists of stringing these units together.

(Minorly spoilerly from here on) Consider that "C3PO brain fart" plot-point. It only exists so they can string another "MacGuffin Quest" onto the string, and have yet another set-piece location. If they were running too long, the entire "plot unit" could be excised without any real change to the rest of the movie. The problem here is that the resultant movie can be filled to the gills with action, yet you're still bored, because there's no real reason that the action is happening in that place vs any other place. Like when the heroes all went to that planet where they're having a festival. They're only there to find a MacGuffin, so the entire backdrop is meaningless in the big picture. It also leads to plot holes, since the supposedly genocidal First Order couldn't shoot up the civilians in that scene, because the heroes were only there because of the MacGuffin, so if the civilians all got killed it would be the heroes fault for hanging around. So, because of the constraints of the narrative, nothing of actual substance can happen to anyone else when the heroes just turn up looking for the MacGuffins. In The Force Awakens, it was almost all about a Big MacGuffin: finding the lost bit that has the coordinates of Luke's planet. I thought it was just that Movie, except in the latest movie it's also almost all about finding a Big MacGuffin about finding the lost bit that has the coordinates of someone else's planet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:35:30 pm by Reelya »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 21, 2019, 06:06:54 am »

What you're describing is called modular scenes. That is, scenes and plot points that can be added or removed freely to pad or shorten the runtime, as they are not essential to the main plot.
If we compare screenwriting to cooking, modular scenes are salt. Too little and the meat will be bland (a "talking heads" movie) to many tastes, too many or unevenly loaded, it becomes unenjoyable.
And yes, for this one they frontloaded several modular scenes in a row and glued them together in a contrived manner, creating a clumsy first act.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 21, 2019, 11:41:20 pm »

I saw it, and it at least cheered me up from my astonishly bad mood for a while.

Finn remains as pointless as ever; he should’ve been a side character in the first movie and then killed off. I was sad to see no Poe-Finn gayness despite this.

It was very clunky at the start, and I probably agree with Reelya about some of the things that happened merely to be reasons for the characters to go places and do things.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 22, 2019, 10:59:13 am »

Finn remains as pointless as ever; he should’ve been a side character in the first movie and then killed off. I was sad to see no Poe-Finn gayness despite this.
Legit aww :(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 22, 2019, 12:04:27 pm »

I thought that about both Finn and Poe. They're not each there for any specific reason. Might have been better to amalgamate them. That also might have made the second movie much more watchable. The worst offense of that movie was trying to jarringly weave three characters separate adventures into one. If it had just been an A-group and a B-group as in Empire it could have been better.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:07:57 pm by Reelya »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 22, 2019, 02:22:11 pm »

disclaimer: I enjoyed episode nine, it was a good start wars flick, but it has its share of silliness

anyway if I had to pick one thing to criticize it lacked a larger finale a la episode three, with the impact on the galaxy as whole more evident
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:24:42 pm by LoSboccacc »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 22, 2019, 02:23:53 pm »

Just like Snoke shows up from nowhere, Palps shows up from nowhere. Riight
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 22, 2019, 03:34:59 pm »

What you're describing is called modular scenes. That is, scenes and plot points that can be added or removed freely to pad or shorten the runtime, as they are not essential to the main plot.
If we compare screenwriting to cooking, modular scenes are salt. Too little and the meat will be bland (a "talking heads" movie) to many tastes, too many or unevenly loaded, it becomes unenjoyable.
And yes, for this one they frontloaded several modular scenes in a row and glued them together in a contrived manner, creating a clumsy first act.

That just sounds like bad writing. Scenes should always be necessary, and if theyre not, actually provided interesting additional details about the world, the characters, and insights on the plot of the movie.

EDIT: I haven't even seen this movie and the rhetoric and explanations popping up around it are already making me hate it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:39:05 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 23, 2019, 02:26:36 am »

To play devil's advocate, I didn't find it any dumber than say, your most hated prequel film. This trilogy's just bad for different reasons.

About IX specifically, Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter is a bigger ass pull than even Palpy himself. It's "btw Dumbledore's gay" but for Star Wars.

However dumb the prequels were, they had an internal logic where you could draw lines from a character's prequel appearance to where they are when A New Hope starts. Prequel-exclusive characters either die off or are unimportant to the OT story, and the majority of OT characters have plausible reasons for their role in the prequels.

How is it even remotely possible to guess that Palps started a family? We see him in the prequels as a politician who never leaves Coruscant, doing evil Sith things in various spinoffs, or as the Emperor. Somewhere in the middle of all that, he found a nice non-evil wife to start a family with? Then his son fucks off and starts his own family outside of Palps' purview??

For what it's worth, I fucking loved Rogue One and Solo. So just like it was with the prequels and the years following ROTS, all the good shit's gonna be in spinoffs and other low-profile stuff.

Don't ask questions. Just consume product and then get excited for next product.

Oh give me a break. Star Wars has always been a money-grubbing merch-driven commercial juggernaut. The only difference is that Marvel's made film-a-year cinematic universes not only a thing, but an expectation for anything even remotely popular.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 23, 2019, 02:40:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 23, 2019, 02:48:39 am »

The prequels at least have the redeeming feature of fantastic lightsaber duels to go back and re-watch. The sequel trilogy doesn't have a single good lightsaber fight (the throne room battle in 8 falls to pieces once you see a few hideous flaws, and the duel in 9 was just dull).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 23, 2019, 08:08:06 am »

In regards to lightsaber fight's, I feel like that's more a matter of taste. I've always been a bigger fan of the slower, kendo style fighting of the original trilogy, and all the Sequel fights are that but even meatier. The prequel fights, while fantastic in terms of choreography, were too dance-like for me.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 23, 2019, 09:21:09 am »

The prequel trilogy did have the closeup of Anakin and Dooku during their duel, which was mightily boring, and a bizarre design choice.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 23, 2019, 10:00:28 am »

and the terrible, schizophrenic CGI Yoda fight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 23, 2019, 10:09:33 am »

I went on opening weekend (to see Cats, not Star Wars, I don't hate myself that much) and the theater was just fucking dead. They had their whole ticket gate set up and everything, and nobody was there. It was some real creepypasta shit, good job JJ ily
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 81