Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf dating booth  (Read 981 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Dwarf dating booth
« on: December 18, 2017, 08:48:47 am »

Okay, I think I've found the easiest way to setup a room to make two specific dwarves meet and greet, be it for making friends, or for getting married.
It just managed to get 2 of my founders who had been lovers for 6 years, to get married within a dwarfweek after setting up the room.
It's easy. Get two dwarves into a small room, forcing them to be next to each other (and perhaps have no job as well, not sure).
Now it is possible to do this with the military screen, but that's a lot of hassle to set up and work with.

I've found the solution: Screw pumps. I would like to nickname this the 'pump until you screw' room.
Manually screw pumping is a high priority job, and it only takes a few clicks to enable pump operating on your two dwarves of choice.
Screw pumps are really excellent for getting specific dwarves to a place you want them to be.
I set up this room:

Code: [Select]
WWWWW  W - wall
DB>>W  D - door
DB>>W  B - bed
WfbbW  >> - screwpump from west
WWWWW  f - prepared food stockpile (no barrels)   b - drink stockpile

enable labours on your two chosen dwarves, activate the pumps, once they are both inside, close the doors behind them and deactivate the pumps. They'll have nothing to do but talk with each other, as long as they are adjecent. This setup has a few dwarf position combinations where they are not adjecent, but most of the time they will be talking. The two screw pumps have an added benefit of adding two impassable tiles to the setup (make sure they are pumping from west, so the impassable tiles are next to the wall isntead of creating a barrier in the middle of the room).

Now I don't know if they will also talk with each other when they are pumping, I need to test that. It's not relevant except for hilariousness though. Well, not completely. It would add the benefit of training attributes while dating if it works while they pump.

EDIT: it doesn't look like it works while they pump, they really need to be on 'no job'

EDIT2: interesting observation: the relations not only lists the 3 friendship terms from top to bottom (friends, friendly terms, passing acquaintance), but also the subgroups themselves are ordered top to botom from best friend to least best friend. You can see the relations rise in rank when you monitor dwarves in the dating booth.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:15:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf dating booth
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:13:40 am »

This is good. PTW
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 11:44:28 am »

An improvement on the given setup would be "P"ersonalising the pumps to the respective dwarfs via the manager. Allows you having other pump operators/other pumps in the fort.

A really easy trick to get two lovebirds into their nest is to activate engraving labour on them and designate the prospective booth's floor for smoothing/track carving; disable the other engravers for a bit or occupy them elsewhere. Smoothing/track carving can be alternated indefinitely until you got your two candidates in the same room. If you make them soldiers, you can also give them food/drink, which makes needs management easier - no stockpiles needed in the room, only very rare breaks to re-stock provisions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:20:56 pm »

An improvement on the given setup would be "P"ersonalising the pumps to the respective dwarfs via the manager. Allows you having other pump operators/other pumps in the fort.
Would work, if only screw pumps had a manager Profile screen. They don't.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 12:42:06 pm »

Do screw presses? They're only one block each, so I would think it would work just as well as screw pumps.
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:25 pm »

How about Levers?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »

Screw presses need input materials, so they're less convenient. Levers on repeat would work just as well as pumps I suppose, although the initial setup takes more work, since dwarves arrive with lever pulling active. Enabling something on 2 dwarves takes less time than disabling something on every dwarf except two.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:16 pm »

Levers and pressure plates can be personalised (which was probably what i thought of), which makes levers set to pull on repeat pretty practical - and they're much faster to build than pumps.