Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stress in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2261 times)

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stress in Dwarf Fortress
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:06:59 am »

It's been about a year and a half since I first played DF. And yet, I've not understood what does the stress level in DFhack's units screen mean. And why do my dorfs have a stress level of 99999 even though my fort has pretty much everything a dorf wants including bunches of happy thoughts. What should i do?
P.S Stress does rhyme with fortress tho  ;)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:38:38 am »

You should probably ask in the Dfhack thread. That's where the people who make and document dfhack will notice you fastest.

I don't use dfhack myself, but I suspect 99999 is 'best' stress level (I.e not stressed) while minus numbers are bad. It's because dorfs aren't getting stressed properly right now (scheduled to be looked at in this bug fixing phase).

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:43:33 am »

Yeah, higher numbers are better.
EDIT: This is wrong, been a while since I used DFHack, sorry.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:14:12 am by ☼Another☼ »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 09:49:18 am »

Seconding to check with DFhack, but note that the thoughts and preferences menu for your dwarves will list which needs are unfulfilled and an overall rating of their needs.

Also, note that the "being with family" and "being with friends" needs aren't yet implemented, and continuously decrease further into negative as time passes. A dwarf's focus is an aggregate of all the values of their needs. Mechanically any value lower than -100,000 doesn't further decrease focus, but DFhack is likely pulling raw values without filtering them, so it may be influencing the results.

For further reading about needs, look here.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:10:31 am »

Stress is the 'happiness' of a dwarf. 
It's a much more forgiving system than what was in place pre-2014. 
Dwarves are generally much more psychologically sound nowadays.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:59:46 am »

Yeah, higher numbers are better.

I don't use dfhack myself, but I suspect 99999 is 'best' stress level (I.e not stressed) while minus numbers are bad. It's because dorfs aren't getting stressed properly right now (scheduled to be looked at in this bug fixing phase).

these are both 100% wrong, lower is better, -99999 stress is peak happiness

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 10:34:01 am »

Seconding to check with DFhack, but note that the thoughts and preferences menu for your dwarves will list which needs are unfulfilled and an overall rating of their needs.

Also, note that the "being with family" and "being with friends" needs aren't yet implemented, and continuously decrease further into negative as time passes. A dwarf's focus is an aggregate of all the values of their needs. Mechanically any value lower than -100,000 doesn't further decrease focus, but DFhack is likely pulling raw values without filtering them, so it may be influencing the results.

For further reading about needs, look here.
I think you might have mistaken the adventurer activity section of that table for Fortress mode activity. All of the needs can be fulfilled in Fortress mode.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:06:20 am »

also, focus and stress are completely unrelated systems