Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 3: GAME OVER(about time, too).  (Read 78978 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 3(11/11): Day 1: Nobody Dead
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2018, 10:29:01 am »

FoU: [1] Only ONE trope may be voted on? [2] What happens if a tie occurs?
[3] Is the trope tied to the person who submitted it?

[1]: Yes.
[2]: *thinks* A random trope will be selected from those tied.
[3]: Probably not. At least, not in the trope. It's possible for roles to have trope-based abilities.
~~~
Fallacy, what's the best way to vote for tropes?
Hm. Yeah, if I use the LurkerTracker, using red could make things tricky. How about you vote in purple for tropes.
~~~
Votecount:
(1) *Maximum Spin: GigaGiant
(0) *notquitethere:
(0) *kingawsume:
(0) *Tiruin:
(1) *Silthuri: notquitethere
(0) *BlackHeartKabal:
(0) *randomgenericusername:
(1) *GigaGiant: Silthuri
(0) *Tawa:
(0) *juicebox:
(0) *Imic:

Not voting: everybody but notquitethere, GigaGiant, and Silthuri

(* denotes that the player has not yet used their personal 24 hour extension)

Tropecount:

(0) Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies:
(1) Affably Evil: GigaGiant
(1) Boring But Practical: Tawa
(1) Katanas Are Just Better: randomgenericusername
(0) Gosh Dang It To Heck:
(0) Worthless Yellow Rocks:
(0) Cincinnatus:
(0) Star-Crossed Lovers:
(0) Clock King:
(0) Time Master:
(0) Red Herring:
(1) Hilarity Ensues: notquitethere
(0) Jumping The Shark:

Not voting: everybody but GigaGiant, Tawa, randomgenericusername and notquitethere

Trope in Effect: The Coconut Effect(scroll up)

((If you detect any flaws in the counts, please let me know))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 11:19:47 am »

BlackHeartKabal - Choose any question that I asked someone else in this post and give your answer to it. Why did you choose that question?

kingawsume - Do you think it's always a good idea to lynch a player on Day 1? Why?
Yes, information is good, and it's not like we can rely on investigators 100%, so it's better to get confirmed information D1 by lynching someone. Chose this because it's something I know how to answer.
Hilarity Ensues.

Tiruin - If I gave you a new ability in exchange for your old one, would you want it back?
NQT - If I primed an ability who's feedback I had to relay through you on death, would you speak up?
Tawa - If I were third party, how would you keep me in line with the town?
Maximum Spin - If I could sync someone up to die when I do, who would you want me to bring with me?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 11:34:27 am »

Depends what kind of third party we're talking. If I knew there were a serial killer on the loose, for example, I'd just keep scumhunting, but try to figure out who the SK is at the same time. The way I see it, a serial killer would be dead meat when the mafia are all that's left, but has a fighting chance when they're eliminated, so it's in an SK's benefit to go after the mafia with the town.

That's just one example, but it seems the most implied based on your question.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2018, 11:56:35 am »

Hilarity Ensues.
Trope votes are on purple!
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »

(Wall of text incoming! Take cover!)

Silthuri
GigaGiant: why would you want a trope that has evil in the name? What doom do you want to bring down upon us?
Yes, it has evil in the name, but it's affably evil. It just rolls off the tongue so well. Why don't you want a trope that has affably in the name?  Do you hate politeness?

Tiruin
Everyone: What're your thoughts about claiming the trope you sent in?
I don't think it's a good idea yet. However, if someone revealed that they had an ability that can use that information to provide buffs to the town, then I would reconsider.
PPE: Oh, after hearing Fallacy's comments, I guess it's not a big deal after all. See my response further down for more info.

Everyone (also): How will you treat Day 1; as in in your goal of finding scum--like how you address people? My own thoughts here are that some people (not me) got info in their night action, and some didn't. Pre-explaining my intent here, it's for information as I'm betting out of 11 people, at least 2 are scum [this is moreso just my assumptions being pushed out because I lack time in posting :v]
1. I'll try to encourage conversation and generate as much information as possible that could help us catch scum.
2. I agree with you that there are at least 2 scum. There were 2 scum in the two previous FBYOR games, so it makes sense for it to be the same here. The only difference is that we have 11 players in this game instead of 9, so perhaps there's also a third party or two in this game. Based on the way my role powers are worded, I feel that there is at least one other person with a killing power, in addition to the scum.

GG (You okay with this abbreviation?)
You can just call me Giga. Makes it easier for me to search for questions directed at me via ctrl+F.

Yeah...I'm not a fan of the falling rocks either. I think Affably Evil might be worth a try. It sounds like a trope that could possibly add some kind of nerf to the scum.

GigaGiant, did you submit any of the tropes?
Yes, I did. I'd tell you which one I submitted, but I'm worried that there might be hostile parties present who could use that information for nefarious purposes.
That's some assumption :v
But you mentioned a something up there anyway.
1. Yeah, I suppose it is. I was just reflecting on previous games. In FBYOR2, webadict had role powers relating to the themes of people's roles. I thought there could be someone similar in this game, except involving trope submissions instead of roles. If someone like that did exist, then until I was sure that person was town, I would be wary of helping them. Though, after hearing FOU's response regarding that, I suppose it's not an issue after all. But, I'm probably still gonna wait until Day 2 to identify which trope I submitted, just to be safe.
2. Affably Evil isn't the trope I submitted, so I wasn't particularly concerned about bringing attention to it.

Tiruin - What do you think is notquitethere's greatest strength as a town player and his greatest weakness as a scum player?
Why are you asking about me and NQT, rather than anyone else here?
Why ask us to cross-examine each other, and not other people present?
That was part of my attempt to gain a better understanding of everyone's experience level and play style. According to the user statistics, you both have thousands of posts on the Mafia subforum, so I thought there was a pretty decent chance that both of you were familiar with each other's play style. I didn't ask anyone else a similar question because they had less posts, so I just took a quick look through their posts to access their experience and play style. Looking through you and NQT's posts was an intimidating prospect, and Bay12's glitchy search function didn't help.

To what end will you use this polarized information?
In addition to what I learned about both of you from each other's answers, I also learned a few things regarding what each of you consider to be good and bad behavior for townies and scum. I'm hoping this information will help me get more accurate reads on both of you.

Also what is your experience with forum mafia? :) [Welcooome to Bay12! (~'u')~]
I played forum mafia a few times on a Starcraft board, about a decade ago. The format was pretty similar to the BM games on this subforum, except the Mod would also provide flavor at the beginning of each new day that contained clues hinting toward the identities of the scum. I wasn't very good at the game back then. I usually spent all my time analyzing the flavor for clues, while the other players scum hunted properly. It didn't help that my flavor analysis was wrong 80% of the time. :-\ After a few games of me consistently being useless (and realizing that most of the other players regarded me as such), I pretty much lost interest in forum mafia altogether. I'm hoping that I can do better this time.
Thanks for the welcome!  :)

It seems like there's 3 players that submitted a second trope and received some sort of flaw in their role. Do you think their penalties relate to their submitted tropes in some way?

Imic
Gigagiant I intend to be somewhat more cautious this time around. To that extent, why do you seem suspicioud to me? Don't take it as some random comment, it's a genuine question.
There's no way for me to know exactly why I seem suspicious to you. Or did you mean to ask me "why do you seem suspicious of me?" If that was your intended question, then the answer is that I'm just as suspicious of you as everyone else.

Is there something suspicious about my play so far?

notquitethere
GigaGiant
Yeah...I'm not a fan of the falling rocks either. I think Affably Evil might be worth a try. It sounds like a trope that could possibly add some kind of nerf to the scum.
Does being affable make evil less powerful or just friendlier? If you were Fallacy, how would you have implemented it?
The trope sounds like it just makes evil friendlier. If I were Fallacy, I would make the trope negatively affect the mafia's killing abilities during the night. For example, it could change the mafia kill into a mafia "knock out" that leaves a player alive, but disables them from participating during the following day. Then, the following night, the player would "wake up" and be part of the game again.

Though, if Fallacy intended for each trope's effect to be balanced for both parties, then I suppose I would also have any inspections on scum always give a townie result while the trope is active.

What do you think Tiruin's greatest strength as town and weakness as scum is?
As town, her nonthreatening nature makes her good at avoiding the scum kill, so she can really help town out when she has access to a good power role if she reveals herself at the right time. As scum, she needs to scum hunt more often, since she seems slightly more passive as scum. That said, I'm only familiar with her play style from reading the last two FBYOR games, so I'm not particularly confident in these evaluations.

My questions were about tropes because they're interesting and mechanically relevant in a way that effects us all. Asking about tropes doesn't endanger anyone's hidden abilities either.
Are you pretty confident that all of the trope effects will apply to every player? Do you think it's possible that some of them only affect specific teams (like town-only or scum-only)?

Fallacy, here's my trope vote again, but in purple: Affably Evil
Insert witty signature here

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2018, 03:16:23 pm »

Hilarity Ensues.
Trope votes are on purple!
Hilarity Ensues.
Depends what kind of third party we're talking. If I knew there were a serial killer on the loose, for example, I'd just keep scumhunting, but try to figure out who the SK is at the same time. The way I see it, a serial killer would be dead meat when the mafia are all that's left, but has a fighting chance when they're eliminated, so it's in an SK's benefit to go after the mafia with the town.

That's just one example, but it seems the most implied based on your question.
Let's talk general third party, survivors and the people that get skittish when people threaten them.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2018, 04:22:12 pm »

Newbie question: Is it bad if I only post when I'm directly adressed? I don't really know what to say since it's just day 1 and there isn't a whole lot of information to work with right now. Also maybe I'm just too passive.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 05:13:17 pm »

Tiruin
I am perplexed (because yaaay stuffs is happening). o_o

And/or Fallacy did stuff I don't understand. My day PM (I did NUTHIN yesterday...err night), told me I was roleblocked, as in the 'when day happens you get a PM probably'. :P
Are you saying you took no action last night, or that you tried to, but got role blocked so nothing happened? If the former, was there a particular reason you didn't do anything last night?

randomgenericusername
Newbie question: Is it bad if I only post when I'm directly adressed? I don't really know what to say since it's just day 1 and there isn't a whole lot of information to work with right now. Also maybe I'm just too passive.
I know the feeling. :-\ I think it's better to take the initiative and ask other people questions about things.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 05:27:09 pm »

Gigagiant I'm asking you specifically, why should I be suspicious of you. It's a question.
Hilarity ensues
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 06:46:10 pm »

Maximum Spin - If I could sync someone up to die when I do, who would you want me to bring with me?
I guess if I had to pick someone I'd say GigaGiant, but Tiruin would be a good second choice too.

Hilarity Ensues, sure, wfm.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:54 pm »

(Quick post from phone)
Gigagiant I'm asking you specifically, why should I be suspicious of you. It's a question.
Hilarity ensues
You should be suspicious of everyone, including myself. As for why me specifically, that's your responsibility to determine.

Maximum Spin
I had a question for you here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:27 pm »

Maximum Spin
I had a question for you here.
You sure did!

I don't always answer just any question, you know. :P

But here, in return, I will precommit to answer one (1) question from you, the next that you ask, truthfully.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 07:52:01 pm »

But why are you ignoring his question Maximum Spin? (FoS is blue, right?)

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:49 pm »

kingawsume - Do you think it's always a good idea to lynch a player on Day 1? Why?
I think it's not always the best idea, but it is necessary. How else are we going to get info, RVS? :P

Sorry for not posting until now, I was either under the knife or under pain meds until this morning, and didn't remember that this was happening until I got a PM email. Wisdom teeth extraction, if you wanted to know.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2018, 10:50:06 pm »

But why are you ignoring his question Maximum Spin? (FoS is blue, right?)
Yes.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48