Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilians sometimes attack..  (Read 449 times)

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilians sometimes attack..
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:49:17 pm »

Hello !

I have a question about civilians dwarves (not in squad), why sometimes they will fight and sometimes not ?

I have two examples from my games :

First, it was when "deads attack", I sent my squad on ennemies and all the squad is dead.. after that all my civilians dwarves just run everywhere without go to the fight... is it normal ? I had to put some useless dwarves in the empty squad after that for re-send them on ennemies and finish the fight. (and I won :) )

Second example, it was a the very beginning of my game, a caravan appear and in the same time multiple hostiles animals (I forgot the name). Animals start attack the caravan, start attack MY animals and all my dwarves (I did not have a squad yet) came to the fight against hostils animals... Why ?

I don't understand why in my first example they did not do anything, and why in my second example they all go to the fight even if I did not ask for anything ?

I did not have burrows in my 2 examples, but surely an active/training alert in the first example. Nothing special in my second example, it was the beginning of a game.

Do you understand my problem ? :p Thanks for help !

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilians sometimes attack..
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:06:38 pm »

It's largely a personality issue whether a civilian dorf attacks or not. However, they also have a tendency to "help" when a buddy is attacked, so if they see someone in a fight they have a tendency to join, while a fight far away isn't seen and thus not reacted to. Also, civilians are naturally afraid of undead and normally flee on sight (again, they may join in on an existing fight).

I don't think it's featured in the game, but humans are a lot "braver" and willing to join a fight when the opposing side is losing badly than when it's actually dangerous...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:07:20 pm »

Civilians decide if they want to fight something. If a friend is killed they'll feel vengeful and might go tackle whatever killed them. If they're drunk they'll feel braver.

In the latest version, since the effects of alcohol don't seem to ever wear off, they attack more often than not. Some will still run around like headless chickens though.

Personality, fear, bravery, revenge. It's all simulated and results in unpredictable behavior. Zombies are scary.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25:45 pm »

It is to be expected that if they have to fight some animals they would have no problem, but be scared if they are against a horde of zombies.