Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: GODS RACE: F.O.P - Era two, Phase 2  (Read 17640 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: GODS RACE: on the edge of darkness
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2017, 06:05:53 pm »

also if something is hit with the flame caster do they burn forever or does it disappear right away
It burns for several seconds, and can set flammable materials on fire.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2017, 06:35:18 pm »

so wait, do we have a design, or a revision, because I think Beefcake imps and MAYBE the furnace caster(maybe) could be done as revisions, the "Imp Penetrable" is also most likely revision tier. The shield is the only thing that would definitely tak a design to make, but we wouldn't want to risk wasting a design on getting what we can get in a revision. So...

Crazyabe, would RAMs ideas be design worthy, or revision worthy?(excluding shield obviously)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2017, 06:45:42 pm »

So, considering the map we won't actualy run into the enemy for a while. I think we should take advantage of this by not prototyping anything in the prep phase. When we move into the first realms and start fighting the native scrubs we will learn how our stuff is performing anyways, and we will have time to revise it before we actually run into the light side.

This would let us get more actual designs/revisions out and diversify our armies. We can start specializing once we hit the ground and see how different things perform.

I'm going to once again make a case for axe casters. They would essentially be very strong skirmish troops. With an axe (longer than the stock dagger) they would be more deadly in melee and could shoot fireballs at close range to support troops already engaged.

Another idea is some sort of cheap shield. Shields are standard in armies for a reason. They are essentially a cheap force multiplyer.

Something to keep in mind, we will eventually need either flying or underwater troops depending on which realm we use to push towards thier main. Wings would be an easy addition for the imps, but fish demons sound cool too.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2017, 06:50:09 pm »

i think we splint the imps into two types one very tank like the other high range and damage. we should take over the plain of fire first. earth will hinder us more because what ever live there could resist fire attacks and be highly armored
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:52:14 pm by darkwarlock3 »
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2017, 06:51:46 pm »

i think we splint the imps into two types one very tank like the other high range and damage
I agree with the general plan.

I do support the axe caster idea, but I personally prefer remaking them as Spears. It just feels better to me, as the imps are short.

Gorger

This new creature is a bipedal, 20 feet tall demon with a very thick build. It's defining feature is it's chest, which sports a bone and cartilage zipper front and back. This can be willed open by the Gorger or forced open (harming the Gorger) from the inside. Inside the gut is a small, tough column sporting the demon's spinal column, around which the is the creature's stomach. Inside the gut is a small cartilage ridge running the circumference of the gut. This is where our soldiers will sit.

The other use of the Gorger is the function of it's gut that can release thick waves of acid to digest whatever is in it's gut at the time. Being 20 feet tall, the Gorger can simply pick something up and shove it inside it's stomach.

The Doomroach/The Screamipede (Name Pending)

This concept is a bit farther from our current creature list. The idea is to create an oblong winged demon with multiple legs that can split open it's back (likely in the form of a cartilage plate under the wings) to disgorge troops. This creature will have claws, and its skin should be tougher than imp skin. Fire breath optional.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:08:33 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2017, 07:09:28 pm »

I do support the axe caster idea, but I personally prefer remaking them as Spears. It just feels better to me, as the imps are short.

My god. Can you imagine how good they would be at breaking a charge? A spear wall the spews out a wave of fireballs just before impact. Destroy calvary momentum and then follow up with spears.

Something else that might synergize will with the flame casters/spears is a sort of bile launcher that coats enemies in a flammable liquid. Follow that up with a volley of fireballs and the whole position goes up in flames.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2017, 07:47:33 pm »

we should go along with this route and make flame caster spears and follow with the gorger later on. first thing is we should take over the flame plain it has the highest affinity with the imps
an idea for future artillery when we get a chance (help improve or point out problems for it)
hell fire catapults
it would make use of the flame caster but have area damage attacks instead. it would need troops to guard and operate but it will have the range to hit across the battle field and great use for siege warfare.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:01:32 pm by darkwarlock3 »
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:26 pm »

I propose a variant.

Flame Cannon

A giant flame caster on a rugged cart with emphasis on medium range direct fire. Cart can be locked down for stability.

Other suggestion:

Shadow Forge

Using imps as dedicated workers, we can ensure constant production of our equipment. The goal is to create a production unit that generates equipment each turn at reduced cost in exchange for having to station troops as dedicated workers. (Idea mostly from Helmacon)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2017, 08:46:40 pm »

Shadow Forge
Noooo, don't steal my ideas... I was going to suggest building a demiplane of metalwork between fire and earth...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2017, 08:54:04 pm »

Shadow Forge
Noooo, don't steal my ideas... I was going to suggest building a demiplane of metalwork between fire and earth...
WHOA. At no point did I think of building planes. Now I want to support that, too.

@GM, is building demiplanes feasible?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »

Think of it like this. We can create X many troops per turn. As it stands, we would thrown them all into the grinder to expand our control. Instead of using our creations as expendable armies of darkness, we use our people to found a civilization of darkness. A foundry is a good start to that. A civilization can keep the war machine rolling on it's own, and allows us to focus on more important things more befitting of a god.

The idea is that eventually we can leverage the forces of industry to our side. We can fill the plain of air with smog, the plain of water becomes our chemical dumping grounds. Black smoke will spew forth as heavy iron machines tear over the land. Green pastures reduced to barren mines. Natives rounded up into industrial scale meat farms. The crunch of bones and the howls of the wretched drowned out by the deafening roar of progress, of industry! Factories rise like black citadels across the land, thier inner furnaces stalked by strange beings who tend the lifeless metal within, willing it to the weapons of war that will expand our ever growing empire.  The rabble themselves become a well crafted tool, living and dieing in the clutches of unbridled capitalism. Everyone and everything is for sale. The flesh markets line narrow streets slick with blood, the cycle never ends. The only way out is in, in and up. Into the factories and markets yourself. Up through the ranks, climbing over the bones of your rivals until one day you lead the black armies yourself. Marching over fertile ground to bring the only true way of life to new people and new lands. To make them all your own.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:03 pm »

WHOA. At no point did I think of building planes. Now I want to support that, too.

@GM, is building demiplanes feasible?
Not at the moment, possibly later.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:53 pm »

Well.. a shadow forge and a demiplane of metal(or just pushing the two planes together until they overlap a little and throwing some metallic thoughts their way) would probably collaborate rather than compete, so that is not really conflicting with my idea. I am not sure how it would play out, probably more akin to diverting some effort to maintaining a population of labourers and providing materials, but getting a broad array of low-quality(compared to "Weapons of the Gods!") equipment at a good price. I expect that we would get better initial results from just researching cheaper items, but there is a lot of upgrade potential there, especially considering that we have the planes of raw materials and the working there of right next to us.

I also really like the flying insect transport.

So, umm, I guess half a vote for each. We get three actions too... We really need to think about a front-liner. Mobility might get us a reprieve but... Then again, we are getting six actions before any actual combat starts, right? If so then getting logistics and distribution up would be a good start.

I think that the votebox will need some doing... I am thinking that, if, say, six people really want both A and B equally, and four people want c a lot, d clearly second, and e clearly third, then you might get a 3/3/4 split on every step and never get A or B even though they are the preferred options.
Mybe weveryone gets to vote on up to three things, and we maintain the vote boxes between the three phases with the winning item struck through? Maybe even put a lock on winning votes if we want to get really crazy and wild?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2017, 10:31:47 pm »

Honestly, the forge idea is just to get the ball rolling on industrialization. The other improvements are definitely more important right now.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2017, 10:36:56 pm »

i agree with doom
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19