Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animal Milk/Tallow mod question  (Read 1646 times)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Milk/Tallow mod question
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:01:50 pm »

So here's an odd one, or who knows maybe its not odd this is the DF community after all.   

What would it take to mod a creatures milk so that when they are milked it would come out as fat or tallow?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Milk/Tallow mod question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:51:18 pm »

Switching out the material is trivial. Altering the two material identifiers in the middle to something else:

Code: [Select]
[MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MILK:20000]
...but I have no idea what happens if you make a job as hardcoded as the milking job put something non-liquid into a bucket like that. Stick to liquids or at least document the weirdness that happens when you don't.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »

Switching out the material is trivial. Altering the two material identifiers in the middle to something else:

Code: [Select]
[MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MILK:20000]
...but I have no idea what happens if you make a job as hardcoded as the milking job put something non-liquid into a bucket like that. Stick to liquids or at least document the weirdness that happens when you don't.

Mhmm, I was wondering which of the tags under the female caste needed changed.  I'll test out a few different things

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:05:36 pm »

This actually sounds quite interesting. Could you report back with your findings?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 11:25:31 pm »

I think the problem would be:

A) you milk fat out of the creature at the melting point (pretty hot) into a bucket (if wood, may or may not catch fire) at this point if it didn't set anything on fire, and it finally cools to its solid state/room temp it may or may not be a GLOB item type. However what does a LIQUID_MISC turn into when solid?

Would this effectively allow you to just milk fat, cool it, and make tallow. As would that make GLOB a generic solid item type, LIQUID_MISC generic liquid type (as water in buckets is just [LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE]) there is no GAS_MISC naturally as we don't have anything "air tight" or needs to be in a direct sense for items, and we have POWDER_MISC which is naturally the dusting version of solid

Or we get the result of fat being in a constant liquid state, but cold. Is mined out water from ICE a GLOB? And is that a result of just hardcoded mining logic?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:41:29 am »

I think the problem would be:

A) you milk fat out of the creature at the melting point (pretty hot) into a bucket (if wood, may or may not catch fire) at this point if it didn't set anything on fire, and it finally cools to its solid state/room temp it may or may not be a GLOB item type. However what does a LIQUID_MISC turn into when solid?

Would this effectively allow you to just milk fat, cool it, and make tallow. As would that make GLOB a generic solid item type, LIQUID_MISC generic liquid type (as water in buckets is just [LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE]) there is no GAS_MISC naturally as we don't have anything "air tight" or needs to be in a direct sense for items, and we have POWDER_MISC which is naturally the dusting version of solid

Or we get the result of fat being in a constant liquid state, but cold. Is mined out water from ICE a GLOB? And is that a result of just hardcoded mining logic?

My theory is that it will simply stay in a liquid state in the bucket. You can create LIQUID_MISC out of whatever you want and it won't necessarily be in a melted state.

Chances are you would need a custom reaction to take it out of the bucket. Not to hard considering the tallow reaction is already a custom reaction.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:04:11 pm »

OK.

Did some testing.

changed the milking tags to [MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TALLOW:40]

The tallow was milked both as "melted tallow" and "tallow", not sure what determines if it comes out melted or not, and more seems melted than not.

I was able to get the regular tallow moved to a food stockpile set up for fats, my dwarfs emptied the buckets of tallow into barrels, and then from there I was able to get it to be used for a soap making reaction.

The "melted tallow" is not causing any fires. I'm not sure if it will stay melted or solidify, I'll let it run for a few seasons without milking new tallow.

EDIT:  I tried dumping the buckets of melted tallow into a pit, and then I flooded the pit with pond water.  The Tallow is still melted.   I guess the next thing I'll do is try embarking on a frozen area and see if the tallow still stays melted.

EDIT 2: Embarked on a freezing biome.  Almost all of the tallow being milked is solid, only a few are melted.   But the melted tallow are staying melted. Hmmm...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:46:09 pm by Xyon »

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:29:32 pm »

Kind of a new-ish update so thought it deserved a new post rather than edit.

Tried a few new things for milk template. I troed replacing "LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MILK" with "LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SUNSHINE" and ended up with a bucket that has "sane pear tree none" inside of it now.

Then I tried "LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER" and I have a bucket filled with "dog n/a"

I tried "PLANT_MAT:BERRY_SUN"  and I'm getting an error that there aren't any milkable animals, and switching back to "LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:BERRY_SUN" makes it back to a "sand pear tree none" inside the bucket.

So I haven't figured out how to make booze be milked out yet...

EDIT:
"LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SOAP" does let 'dog soap' and 'dog melted soap' be milked from the animals, but I can't get the soap emptied from the buckets into a soap stockpile or moved into a hospital zone from the buckets.  Unlike earlier when I was able to get the tallow moved from buckets into stockpiles and then turned into soap.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:38:22 pm by Xyon »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »

frozen LIQUID_MISC usually turns into a powder

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:46:20 pm »

if you're milking a creature you can't use LOCAL_PLANT_MAT because you're in a CREATURE not a PLANT

using PLANT_MAT gets an extra arg

PLANT_MAT:plantID:material

same with CREATURE_MAT

And good to know thanks Putnam

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:47:46 pm »

if you're milking a creature you can't use LOCAL_PLANT_MAT because you're in a CREATURE not a PLANT

using PLANT_MAT gets an extra arg

PLANT_MAT:plantID:material

same with CREATURE_MAT

And good to know thanks Putnam

Good to know. Is it then impossible to get plant based alchohol to be milked from a creature?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 04:09:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure, if you use like
[PLANT_MAT:SUNBERRY:SUNSHINE]
That'll work.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 04:49:27 pm »

Unless it's a special material, you'd probably just want the DRINK material

PLANT_MAT:SUNBERRY:DRINK

everything vanilla usually follows the same format for common materials

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:19:36 am »

frozen LIQUID_MISC usually turns into a powder

Erm I think POWDER_MISC would be powder.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 03:21:32 am »

yeah, exactly, a LIQUID_MISC which is frozen turns into a POWDER_MISC in my experience
Pages: [1] 2