Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185436 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The best workaround is to have a dumb caste and a smart caste. You can bring some of both at embark; breeding pairs of the dumb caste and a few smart ones for extra muscle. Then the dumb ones can give birth to more workers; give them a one year childhood, or no childhood at all (but then newborn males, being adults, will immediately impregnate their mother/any sisters, making population control next to impossible)

Problem with this is that embark trolls and their lineage are the only ones to have a identifiable history if you go out of your way to edit names for them or detail them in engraved events + history, when they are dead you can't replace them because of historical unit ordering DFhackery wont allow new entries. Ill have to consider the dumb trolls, as it might be easier to buy them with trade without any immediate repercussions for things such as handling goblin fur industries too.
  • Sentients born on site to people loosely of your faction are considered your citizens such as newborns dropped by adventurers right? Removing pet tags from smart trolls might possibly shut off association with pets when they are born if that's what Eric is driving towards.
You can import pet_exotics when the correct configuration with [ANIMAL] and animal always present is uh *present to get faction creatures exclusively or offer them in trade to other races regardless of distance or biome, ill have to poke around it more whether i can apply your method to perfect it.

And before I start a project concerning a very fight-heavy civ, I need a way for them to clear up the areas around thier turf early game and that's stuff I either really have never seen or just flat out didn't notice on the wiki.

You likely need to borrow the excellent dead_dwarf true script out on the modding forum (its a little hard to find, needs to be hall of famed or stored somewhere, i copy paste it to each new DFHackversion i make)  that automatically marks things which have died in the duration of it running with some context rules to leave out citizens, then you'd be able to eat, burn, and generally process whatever you like.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

If you happen to have it to hand, that'd be great. Last bit of testing is going on now.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It hurt my brains to look through the pages of third party scripts subforum, but here it is  DFHack Script: Unbutcherable Sentient Workaround for fortress and adventure mode

Just to iterate, its while the script is running which means anything offscreen that would be egible, I also forget if it persists but there have been times where i've forgot i've had it on, turned it off by running the command again (a flaw that it wont tell you if its turned off)

So you should generally assume that saves where you've employed this have it always active.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome. You guys're life savers.

The projects in question consist of a new fully playable civ with a strong paladin theme and a quality of life/bulk production mod. The trash incinerator (to get rid of dead enemies and such) was the last linchpin in their now-impending release. I'll include the script alongside them in case the reactions fail to run, because better safe than sorry, but ZM has reported the incinerator working just fine now.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just uh, don't eat anybody if you're not intending to by accident. Maybe perhaps turn off the auto butchery collection whilst you sort out the bodies since it can be a little unpicky to avoid making Sweeny Todd man-meat pies.

I should know, my goblins have feasted upon the immense lard of dwarves and drank mushroom wine from their skulls! (okay skullcups were a little out of my reach but i did make a pretty skull-seum out of dwarf skull totems and produced beard hair pants)

Has there been any research done on the maximum number of plants/creatures/items/etc... that can be in the game?

Plants do have a maxium capacity of trees, which is stated why people don't sometimes see bananas because they are significantly less prominent in the niche and highly contested biome they're in. Animals are less clear cut and obviously benefit from being offloaded but large predator caps exist so unlimited amount of benign/grazers/vermin can exist within the right locality to biome squares as far as i've read already.

There's often more creatures in the underground than the entirety aboveground but this is simply because every square of the underground worldzone is conjoined to the same thing though individual caverns respected as distinct terrain exist if you look for the movements of unknown megabeasts in *legends mode that hang around a particular area which sometimes is ocean wide or about the size of a small biome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick question, how's it installed/run? NEither of us can figure out how to make it cooperate.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has there been any research done on the maximum number of plants/creatures/items/etc... that can be in the game?

Plants do have a maxium capacity of trees, which is stated why people don't sometimes see bananas because they are significantly less prominent in the niche and highly contested biome they're in. Animals are less clear cut and obviously benefit from being offloaded but large predator caps exist so unlimited amount of benign/grazers/vermin can exist within the right locality to biome squares as far as i've read already.

There's often more creatures in the underground than the entirety aboveground but this is simply because every square of the underground worldzone is conjoined to the same thing though individual caverns respected as distinct terrain exist if you look for the movements of unknown megabeasts in *legends mode that hang around a particular area which sometimes is ocean wide or about the size of a small biome.

I more meant if there was a limit to the number of raw entries that can be in the game. I know they might not all show up, and I know actual in game populations will be limited. But can I have 10,000 (or some other large number) of creature/item/plant/etc... raws, or will the game crap out on me?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick question, how's it installed/run? NEither of us can figure out how to make it cooperate.

Its a lua, goes with all the other lua's in the DFhack files (copy-paste), then script runs when you type it into the panel along with other dfhack commands that come pre-packaged.
File with DFhack successfully installed -> Hack (subfolder) -> Scripts (subfolder) and drag/copy paste into here

I more meant if there was a limit to the number of raw entries that can be in the game. I know they might not all show up, and I know actual in game populations will be limited. But can I have 10,000 (or some other large number) of creature/item/plant/etc... raws, or will the game crap out on me?

Likely the same reaction in the world-loading that you get when generating for 250+ years but i guess no crappening happening, it might happen further into the game though if worldgen splutters out earlier, perhaps undesirable to do. No science for certain, maybe a utility to make random raws (wasn't it you that made that script? Im not sure) set to print out a quota of a large number of individual random raws might help you but that's outside my ability.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:24:01 pm by FantasticDorf »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, guess we put it in the wrong place.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working. Anything we might have done wrong besides put it in the wrong folder before?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Likely the same reaction in the world-loading that you get when generating for 250+ years but i guess no crappening happening, it might happen further into the game though if worldgen splutters out earlier, perhaps undesirable to do. No science for certain, maybe a utility to make random raws (wasn't it you that made that script? Im not sure) set to print out a quota of a large number of individual random raws might help you but that's outside my ability.

Yeah, I have a script to make random raws (although it's not as advanced at Knight Otu's), which is sort of why I was asking, but if there hasn't been any science done on it, I will try generating insane amounts of creatures, plants, and inorganics and see what happens.

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile

Hey guys, does anyone know of a way to make a certain caste of a sentient race know a secret at birth?

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please pardon my adding yet another question into the mix here, but does anyone know what the full range of usage hint tokens are for interactions? I'm wanting to create a resurrection interaction and am wondering if it's possible to encourage primarily using it on corpses of creatures that would be friendly to the "caster" if resurrected.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Please pardon my adding yet another question into the mix here, but does anyone know what the full range of usage hint tokens are for interactions? I'm wanting to create a resurrection interaction and am wondering if it's possible to encourage primarily using it on corpses of creatures that would be friendly to the "caster" if resurrected.
Unfortunately, usage hints won't help you there. You either need to accept that it will indiscriminately revive things, or limit it to specific creatures.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

This is all of 'em

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, usage hints won't help you there. You either need to accept that it will indiscriminately revive things, or limit it to specific creatures.

Revived creatures are loyal/neutral to the caster, this was patched by Toady. To offer a example, a fortress necromancer by bringing a slab to the fort &/or transcribing a book will have zombies broadly allied with the fortress, but in a loyalty cascade they work only for the necromancer who summoned them unless they also attack the zombies by mistake.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 120