Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: [47.05] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - Monster Mash  (Read 62371 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.04] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - A Spooky Halloween Horror Pack
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 07:04:43 am »

Updated for 44.04, moved 32-bit version to SDL as well. I've also made the tissues for the skeletons not as thick, so they should not be as resistant as before.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:00 pm »

Don't suppose you care if someone does a story fort utilizing this mod and your cavern revamp do you?

Wouldn't be using anything else besides a tileset of course, so perhaps the "main event" will be the encounters with these things and alterations to the environment.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:15 am »

I'd be honored - could link it in the opening posts for this and the cave revamp too if you'd like!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 04:01:35 pm »

Minor update - made the normal, non-special skeletons much more common so that they should make up the bulk of invading forces, also did a slight change to the Cannibal raws, to make them compatible with the recent update to my full pack.

For the raws-only version, I included a folder with instructions on how to make the stuff that requires edited vanilla raws to work.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 05:20:10 pm »

Are the sprites shown the ones in use for the pre-installed version? Wanna know before I set up anything, as the fort I've been playing is using the raw only version and with Mepth's Tileset they come out looking... Well, odd. Which is a shame because I really like the tileset.

As a side note, Body Eater worms are remarkably resilient little bastards at times when faced with blunt weapons. Obas are less so, as the Militia commander was basically playing golf with the heads of a few of them.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 06:39:56 pm »

Oh no, the pre-installed version doesn't have at tileset included, its default ASCII - don't have any tilesets that have sprites for any of my creatures, and I'm not artistically inclined enough to make one. The sprites in the opening post are to show exactly what the creatures are, for those that haven't played Splatterhouse for example - in-game they'd show up as symbols so I can see why that'd be a tad out of place with a tileset.

Also yeah, thats partially intended. Body eaters still have a skull so they would be somewhat more resistant - Obas meanwhile completely lack bones so I imagine they'd be easy enough to take down - both are supposed to be evil biome pack predators that are weak individually but stronger in numbers - body eaters less so than Obas.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:44:54 pm by ZM5 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 06:44:51 pm »

Oh! okay then, I'll just have to make sure to put some notes in any screenshots with them then.

It's terribly amusing seeing heads get hammered or maced so hard they go flying concerning the Obas. First time it happened I giggled for a good minute or two.  :P

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 06:46:34 pm »

Heh, yeah - the times I fought them in an evil biome they usually aren't a problem for any military fighters. In a way they'd sorta be like aboveground crundles, only even more fragile; though, they can also potentially show up in a group of 12, which I can see as being somewhat dangerous for non-military dwarves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:28 pm »

Encountered a Bellyache. Threw soldier by helmet. Soldier responded by hitting him with his shield. Durable, at least when faced with four mace/hammer dwarves.

Thus far though only a few have been encountered, I'm enjoying these critters. suitably mean spirited.  :)

Suppose this is as good a place of any, don't suppose anyone here has a good idea for a tag line do they? Fort's name is Duskmetals, and is in a hot forest along the edge of a haunted mountain range north of a belt of circus freaks. Who i expect to make the fort's life miserable by the end of the third year. I only ask because I've got screenshots and time piling up and no thread yet.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 02:58:10 pm »

Bellyaches are one of the "elite" evil biome monsters - they're larger than vanilla Trolls so their attacks can be pretty devastating, especially their super-slow tackles if they aren't avoided. Still, they're not the worst.

Not sure about a tagline - depends on what your goal story-wise is, if you're doing a story-based fort.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 03:10:43 pm »

Then considering I had two barely trained dwarves and two untrained ones who only had their weapons (not sure why they're refusing to use the wood shields I had made for them, unless they broke the things during the fight by hitting it with them,) I'll chalk that up as a win. Came away with one set of broken right ribs and a cut on the same dwarf's leg from a scratch. Everything else was blocked or dodged.

I keep scanning for a Master of the Dead. With the amount of mangled obas laying around the last thing I need is those coming back to "life." I can tell from the description that I'll need to grab whoever is available to beat the dog shit out of that the minute one shows up.

And the goal is political insurrection - The civ got hammered so badly in a war with thier elven neighbor it doesn't show up in Legends Viewer as its own civ anymore, despite not being anywhere near dead. Puppet regime presumably.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 03:36:03 pm »

Masters of the Dead would be like mini-necro fights, yeah - though they can raise bodies even if they're mangled - until you kill them they can keep resurrecting zombies.

Not sure about the tagline tbh - somewhat dry on ideas right now.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.07] Zombies Ate My Dwarves - A Spooky Halloween Horror Pack
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 07:16:39 am »

Updated the full packs to 44.07 - introduced some of the balancing changes from my Warcraft mod to this - the few chitinous creatures should be more resistant now due to their chitin being tougher, and creatures can only be affected by only one debilitating spell at a time (doesn't apply to physical interactions, like the Pretender Demon's taunt).

I was thinking of introducing some new content before next halloween, admittedly. Aside from adding the Doom 64, Doom 3 and Doom 4 variants of Doom creatures and the new creatures that showed up in those games, I would want to make the next update mostly Alien-themed, though there would still be some other miscellaneous creatures.

Specifically it'd have Alien invaders with skull-faces and exposed brains ala Mars Attacks or Zombies ate my Neighbors, with flying saucers as pets, space suits for armor, and some strange weaponry; multi-caste Xenomorphs that could also be the pets of the Alien invaders (could also have a Tarkalien caste based off of the MKX Xenomorph, or the ones you see in the Alien's ladder ending in that game); Predator-esque hunters; and other types of extraterrestials like Space Clowns, average Grays, or tentacled Things in the cold biomes that could infect your citizens - once an infected citizen would be under threat from, well, anything, it would shapeshift into a Thing and become hostile to everything else except other Things.

As for miscellaneous creatures, I was thinking of mostly making it cryptids, i.e the moth-man, the Jersey Devil, or Bigfoot; along with ones that don't neccessarily fit into that theme either, like demonically possessed humans that can crawl on walls and shout obscenities, or Graboids.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:20:43 am by ZM5 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 11:40:16 am »

Graboids would be a surprisingly suitable cavern critter (with ass blasters being - unknown to the dwarves and anyone else - a wandering reproductive phase of the same critters on the surface.) Could be thought of as smaller, bitier, grumpier cousins of the Giant Earthworm.

Bigfoot is already technically in the vanilla game as the Sasquatch, as well as the Yeti. They're just limited to savage areas (which you probably already know, being a modder and all.)

Predators would make for a good civ with both "good" Predators, ala the ones we usually see in the films, and "evil" Bad Bloods. Bad Bloods would behave much like goblins, often fighting openly and wantonly slaughtering anything they happen upon, while the regular Predators could be possible allies, and if angered, fight more like Elves, always attacking from ambushes. I almost wish I could do the idea of a Predator in finely crafted dwarven armor justice in a picture for a mercenary in a fort. Light on armor, but strong weapons and far greater strength and endurance than most of thier foes would have (which would also make them highly sought after mercenaries.)

Xenomorphs could make for a delightfully deadly foe as well, in the caverns and roaming the surface of evil biomes, along with an optional civ addon to have hordes of them attack your fort. If going by the comics, they'd be fast and very good fighters, but surprisingly not quite as durable as you'd expect - a solid crack to the head with a sledgehammer can kill them pretty easily. This would make them fairly glass cannon-y enemies.

Space Clowns seem more like they'd be part of the Circus Freak ranks, but I do like the idea of an Alien Invasion set of enemies and creatures; what form that'd take though... Yeah, I got nothing apart from the Aliens from Fallout, since they weren't super feeble and were capable enough when they had to fight.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 02:32:25 pm »

I would like to suggest a Mothra mega beast. It wouldn't exactly be 'horror' per-say, but it would definitely fit into the existing feel of the pack. Plus, he's an easily recognizable, but much under appreciated monster.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8