Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What books would you reccomend?  (Read 3614 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What books would you reccomend?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 05:54:11 pm »

Huh, I never knew anything about it until today. I am not knowledgeable enough for tabletop games (Monopoly and Warhammer being one of the few I know) so I can't really talk about the subject. But I can talk about video games and books.  :)

to give you an idea of the F.A.T.A.L RPG's level of shitness:

- there is a boob-size trait for women which is inversely proportional to intelligence

- the rules are detailed enough to cover how much stuff you can cram in a babies asshole. You have to roll how loose your orifices are and it has age-modifiers going down to newborn baby. A high-rolling baby character could fit a lot.

- you need to solve quadratic equations to have sex, yet there are no dating rules

- random spell fumbles cause you to fistfuck the nearest humanoid, grow giant testicles 100 feet across, or ejaculate hundreds of mini-me clones out of your penis, then the clones run amok. Among like 100 other fumbles. There's pages and pages of dumb tables like this.

- there's cursed armour of "negrous nicompoopery" which turns you into a caracature of a black person - fat lips, big ass, low intelligence.

Plus ... this isn't even the worst part. The worst part is the main rules are complete shit and nonsensical.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:02:16 pm by Reelya »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 05:56:31 pm »

Oh, yeah, FATAL! I actually once tried to run a game of that here! Character creation is next to impossible, and making an actual usable character sheet is one of the most difficult things I have done.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 06:34:31 pm »

Isn't the character sheet like 13 pages long or something

and 90% of that is mostly pointless information.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 07:33:50 pm »

Dune, by Frank Herbet. A seminal classic science fiction novel.

Ender's Game, by Arthur C. Clarke. Another seminal classic science fiction novel.

The Color of Magic/The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett. The first two books in the Discworld series, and so close to my heart, it's where my username comes from.

The Call of Cthulhu, by HP Lovecraft. Probably his most famous work, but not my favorite, honestly. (It's really great for getting a taste of his work, but I prefer The Horror at Red Hook, despite its racism, because the urban terror is much more compelling for me, and the mystery is a bit better. For something a little less racist, I'd recommend Dagon or At The Mountains of Madness, because they're both much better at filling you with cosmic dread.)

The Name Of The Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. A classic fantasy saga, written for a Post-Harry Potter era. Literally everyone I've met who's read it has loved it.

Ender's Game is by Orson Scott Card, actually. I heartily recommend the parallel novel to it, Ender's Shadow. Really interesting to be able to go back over the events of Ender's Game with a different (and, in my opinion, better) protagonist.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 07:50:39 pm »

Lotta recs I could make, but start with this: anything by Vernor Vinge. For the interconnected ones, read A Fire Upon the Deep -> A Deepness in the Sky -> The Children of the Sky. His other novels are secondary but still very worthwhile. Without even a shadow of a doubt he's the best contemporary science fiction author out there.

Ender's Game, by Arthur C. Clarke. Another seminal classic science fiction novel.

The Color of Magic/The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett. The first two books in the Discworld series, and so close to my heart, it's where my username comes from.

The Call of Cthulhu, by HP Lovecraft. Probably his most famous work, but not my favorite, honestly. (It's really great for getting a taste of his work, but I prefer The Horror at Red Hook, despite its racism, because the urban terror is much more compelling for me, and the mystery is a bit better. For something a little less racist, I'd recommend Dagon or At The Mountains of Madness, because they're both much better at filling you with cosmic dread.)

The Name Of The Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. A classic fantasy saga, written for a Post-Harry Potter era. Literally everyone I've met who's read it has loved it.

Ender's Game is by Orson Scott Card, actually. I heartily recommend the parallel novel to it, Ender's Shadow. Really interesting to be able to go back over the events of Ender's Game with a different (and, in my opinion, better) protagonist.

Though fair warning to steer clear of pretty much everything else Card wrote. Not unlike Dune, Ender's Game is one of those "really good core novel, a couple good followups, everything else is liquid dogshit".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 08:02:26 pm »

Cosmic Banditos by A. C. Weisbecker, a lesser-known but entirely hilarious novel about quantum mechanics, substance abuse and banditry in the Mexican wilderness.

VALIS by Philip K. Dick, a fascinating novel about fictionalized religious experiences, mental illness and living information. Can recommend A Scanner Darkly for drug abuse, madness, isolation and dystopia.

For that matter, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - really easy read, pretty funny and an interesting chronicle of its time, has great imagery as well.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 08:03:39 pm »

Though fair warning to steer clear of pretty much everything else Card wrote. Not unlike Dune, Ender's Game is one of those "really good core novel, a couple good followups, everything else is liquid dogshit".

Speaker for the Dead and whatever the third book was were a real drug trip.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 08:05:36 pm »

Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets are the good ones, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, Shadow of the Giant is a pretty mediocre way to cap the series.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:30 pm »

Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets are the good ones, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, Shadow of the Giant is a pretty mediocre way to cap the series.

That's about where I'd draw the line myself, yeah.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 09:03:23 pm »

Spoiler: FATAL derail (click to show/hide)

Anyway, in terms of recommendations: it's not exactly an underrated classic or whatever, but Hamlet is probably my favorite Shakespeare play. It's the kind of work you can find something new in every time you read it, as well as having some of my favorite bawdy jokes that don't make sense anymore. It's also rather lacking on the "wacky antics" front a number of his plays have (like the porter scene in Macbeth,) which is a plus in my opinion.

Beowulf is an excellent poem. It's an Anglo-Saxon work about a Geatish warrior who battles monsters terrorizing Denmark and Götaland. One of the more interesting aspects is the author's aim to reconcile his Christian beliefs with the pagans he's writing about.

The Alexiad is a good read in terms of historical nonfiction. Written about the Byzantine emperor Alexios Komnenos by his daughter Anna, it describes the history of the ERE during the High Middle Ages, providing a unique perspective on a number of things, from Byzantine perception of the First Crusade to the role of women in the Empire.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 09:11:10 pm »

I'd argue that plays (esp. Shakespeare) are meant to be seen, not read.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 09:31:10 pm »

Isn't the character sheet like 13 pages long or something

and 90% of that is mostly pointless information.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:34:57 pm by Reelya »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 09:34:56 pm »

I'd argue that plays (esp. Shakespeare) are meant to be seen, not read.
Oh, definitely. I daresay I experienced Hamlet on a new level when I watched the Branagh version.

That said, they tend to get lumped in with books rather than films or TV when their literary merits are considered, so they're fair game for reading recommendations in my book.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 12:51:18 am »

Oops! Looks like I'll have to run down and drop off my nerd card first thing tomorrow morning. :P

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 05:11:20 am »

From what I have read I would highly recommend anything from Elizabeth Hand or Charles Stross, I would starting with Winterlong and Neptune's Brood but personally I have never read a poor work from either of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3