Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To become part of the realm or not?  (Read 2716 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To become part of the realm or not?
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:33:41 am »

What do? I am not sure.

The liaison wants to know if we want to be an official part of the realm?!
Why is there nothing in the wiki about this? (That I can find)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:38:22 am by thefinn »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To become part of the realm or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 01:02:05 am »

It means they want to appoint a baron.
He'll demand stuff and be generally annoying. Eventually the king might move in. He'll demand bigger, shinier stuff and be more annoying.

Eventually you'll learn to love the combination of nobles and magma.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:35:53 am »

Understood, I went with "Naaa, we kinda like our rebel flag"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 03:22:38 am »

I may be wrong here, but I think there is something about not getting access to the trade liaison until you've appointed a baron.

Also, as nobles go, barons can be made quite benign. The trick is to make sure the dorf (or other citizen) you appoint doesn't have any preference for items that can be constructed (thus, materials, shapes, animals, food/drink etc. are fine, but crutches and scepters are a pain). A noble with no item preferences will not issue any mandates: they can still make *demands* but failing to meet their sometimes impossible, demands (e.g. a brass bed), will not result in the punishment and possible death of a random, probably valuable, citizen failing to meet mandates does. The noble will just be unhappy about not having demands met You can also try not to enable the injustice system, but that has a tendency to turn itself on when you need more militia.

You can keep the monarch at bay by making sure you don't donate anything to the mountainhome (but you can still get saddled with a random citizen becoming the new monarch when the old one bites the bullet. A healthy dwarven civ reduces the risk of that happening, but the only sure way is to play a civ that actually dead (should be dead as a door nail according to all logic is NOT sufficient, there's a bug that causes them to die as they should. A civ is actually dead if the civ screen, when viewed immediately after embark, is completely blank, i.e. not even your own civ on it).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:55:50 am »

What's the trade liaison? Do you mean the outpost liaison (that's the guy who offers you the chance to be a barony, so obviously he comes before you get a baron).

Unless you mean the human trade liaison? But pretty sure I've met him before becoming a barony too.

Or do you mean you lose access to the trade liaison?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:44:53 am »

The trade liaison is the guy who allows you to request that the caravan bring specific items on the next trip, and it's probably the same character who offers you to become a barony, but if I recall correctly turning down the barony offer will cause things to stop there, never reaching the caravan part. This only matters if you have specific things you want the dwarven caravan to bring.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:48:58 am »

Outpost liaison will come, but he will offer you to appoint baron every year. And every time you refuse, dialog with him will be ended, skipping the part where you could ask for certain goods for next year caravan. Therefore, when your settlement is ready to progress to a barony, but you don't want to, you will lose the ability to order stuff.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:25 pm »

Outpost liaison will come, but he will offer you to appoint baron every year. And every time you refuse, dialog with him will be ended, skipping the part where you could ask for certain goods for next year caravan. Therefore, when your settlement is ready to progress to a barony, but you don't want to, you will lose the ability to order stuff.

What if you make your settlement a barony, then make the baron suffer an unfortunate accident?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:39:33 pm »

What if you make your settlement a barony, then make the baron suffer an unfortunate accident?
Someone else may inherit the title. Not sure if it's limited to dwarves in your fort, or if they'll migrate in otherwise.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:20 am »

The trade liaison is the guy who allows you to request that the caravan bring specific items on the next trip, and it's probably the same character who offers you to become a barony, but if I recall correctly turning down the barony offer will cause things to stop there, never reaching the caravan part. This only matters if you have specific things you want the dwarven caravan to bring.

That's the outpost liaison, as the game calls them.

What's the trade liaison? Do you mean the outpost liaison (that's the guy who offers you the chance to be a barony, so obviously he comes before you get a baron). [...]

Apparently, the answer is "Yes".  I've never seen a "trade liaison", even as a barony.

I tend to refuse the first time, at least.  I then either continue refusing, or try to identify a non-troublesome individual upon whom to grant the title next time.  I generally find that the outpost liaison is not all that useful anyways, personally - although there are exceptions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:44:37 am by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:09:56 am »

Guess I'm in the minority but I like having a Baron and having a progression of trying to become the capitol. As for the mandates and export bans I ignore the export bans generally, its not like the punishment is severe. And the mandates are like Toady says very "gamy" but there isn't much else gamy stuff to do so why not just queue the mandates from time to time?

Also I like putting the Baron in his own squad with 2 bodyguards and have him train 4-6 months out of the year, seems appropriate the Dwarf Baron/King should be one of the strongest warriors able to defend his kingdom. As I play with over 200 dwarves I like focusing on my nobles and military squads so having nobles is a good way to naturally focus attention on following the life stories of these dwarves.

And it is very fun when the elf diplomat comes to the throne chamber to have a meeting in front of all the dwarves to insult the Baron and then have the Baron chop his head off  8)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 06:31:04 pm »

Guess I'm in the minority but I like having a Baron and having a progression of trying to become the capitol. As for the mandates and export bans I ignore the export bans generally, its not like the punishment is severe. And the mandates are like Toady says very "gamy" but there isn't much else gamy stuff to do so why not just queue the mandates from time to time?

Also I like putting the Baron in his own squad with 2 bodyguards and have him train 4-6 months out of the year, seems appropriate the Dwarf Baron/King should be one of the strongest warriors able to defend his kingdom. As I play with over 200 dwarves I like focusing on my nobles and military squads so having nobles is a good way to naturally focus attention on following the life stories of these dwarves.

And it is very fun when the elf diplomat comes to the throne chamber to have a meeting in front of all the dwarves to insult the Baron and then have the Baron chop his head off  8)

100 days in the cells / brutal beatdown by fortress guard is always annoying when it happens to someone who you needed doing their jobs.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 12:02:20 am »

I generally find that the outpost liaison is not all that useful anyways, personally - although there are exceptions.
Ore and flux stones are good. Caravans won't really bring them otherwise.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 12:49:54 am »

I generally find that the outpost liaison is not all that useful anyways, personally - although there are exceptions.
Ore and flux stones are good. Caravans won't really bring them otherwise.

Yep, that's one of the exceptional cases - although I usually buy out their metal stuff and melt it instead of relying on getting two or three ores.  I'm not sure how the resulting amount of metal bars compares between the two, but it hasn't been a problem for me... yet.  Another exception is when I want to be sure to have specific tame creatures - I forgot to bring cats once.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 01:39:13 am »

No reason why not get both. You'll get 4 bars per ore (3 different for iron & copper, 4 for silver), but only one bar of steel per flux stone (5 different options), so that's the limiting option.
Pages: [1] 2