Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Q: I didn't want to be a brigand, how do I fix it?  (Read 1000 times)

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Q: I didn't want to be a brigand, how do I fix it?
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:41:32 pm »

Hello, looking for help with this, any advice appreciated!  I'm pretty new to adventure mode.

I was trying out trading, and accidentally hit the "t" to "demand" a pear from the merchant I was trading with in town.  Suddenly I was being called a brigand and being told to "stop! thief!".  I looked for the item but I didn't find it.  I tried to give the merchant some coins to pay for the item, something (I didn't have much), but nothing seemed to make it better.  I ended up carrying off a coin that was on the ground that had the "$___$" decoration, so I think maybe I wasn't supposed to do that.

I brought up the rumor of my theft with the merchant.  I asked about my reputation, and she said "you are a brigand.  You stole from me!" or something like that.  I went to the Lord of the town and brought up the rumor.  Nothing happened, I couldn't turn myself in and serve time or have items repossessed to pay for what was just one pear.  I talked to the Lord's guards, they didn't seem to care that I was a brigand either.

The tavernkeeper told me "I'd just as soon you stayed someplace else" but still rented me a room, though at twice the rate I'd previously been given.

I slept in the tavern a night, and the coin later turned to not have the $__$ decoration anymore.  I got some more goods and gifted the merchant an items worth 30 currency units, well more than the cost of a pear.  Still considers me a brigand, but will still trade and talk with me.

I don't know what else to try.  I guess I should try giving her the coin, but I might have traded that specific one away at this point.  And as I said, I'm still very new to adventure mode so maybe I'm missing something elementary.

I don't want to be a brigand.  It was my intent to play this character as very law-abiding, upright, good reputation kind of character.  I want to turn myself in, pay the shopkeeper back with interest, find a way to apologize, whatever, anything short of letting them execute me.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Q: I didn't want to be a brigand, how do I fix it?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:56:31 pm »

Stuff like that is goofy RN. Laws and customs. Coming in like what, 5-6 years.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:30 pm »

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but figured I'd ask... at the least, are people going to not know about it in a new town if I move and never mention my extremely minor, accidental theft?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:40:04 am »

Yep.  That's pretty much what you will have to do.  You should give yourself the nickname "Jean Valjean" and hope your past never catches up with you :-)

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:41:57 am »

Are they ever going to forgive & forget if enough time passes?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »

There is an entire "justice and law" arc in the planning, but it won't be worked on for years.  Adventure mode players are especially looking forward to it because it should enable a lot more realistic role playing.

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:52:34 pm »

I guess that's a "probably not yet" ... still worth asking, thanks!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 12:25:57 am »

Sorry.  I misread your question.  Yes, you have it correctly :-)  They will never forgive and forget (as far as I can tell).

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 10:33:42 am »

I'm chuckling at the visual image of an armored clad hero striding into the barons tower with a determined look on their face and a pear in hand.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:29 pm »

Are they ever going to forgive & forget if enough time passes?
Next release you can skip town and pretend to be someone else when you meet new people. That'll do until crime and punishment turns up.