Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Forgotten: Seeking Feedback!  (Read 2290 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten: A Dwarf Fortress Suggestion Game
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:50 pm »

Would "darkness" count as something relevant to both the lizardmen that currently worship us and to the kobolds we created? Because I really feel like it would be something good to take.
And not the darkness where the enemies hide, stalking you. No, the darkness where you hide, safe from those who would stalk you.

I'd accept that interpretation. Feel free to play around with what the spheres might mean specifically for your character, since i figure there is a lot of wriggle room for context.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:16:29 pm by Mlamlah »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 05:13:47 pm »

Ok. Then let's be a god of DARKNESS.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 05:19:04 pm »

+1 To this sphere, and to this interpretation

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:31 pm »

+1 To this sphere, and to this interpretation
+1

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
it's over

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 03:59:38 pm »

The Un-named Creator
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sposmo, Female Reptile Woman Shaman

Reptile Tribe

When you first taught the Kobolds how to survive, one of the first lessons you ever imparted was stealth. They learned to hide in dark places away from the sun, and how to stalk and scavenge while the eyes of predators were averted. You have spent a great deal of time in the dark places of the world, and your mastery of using darkness to conceal that which you want hidden has become complete. Your only limitations now, is your lack of power. It takes a great deal of what little energy you have left to become one with the power of darkness, which forces you to spend time in recovery.

This does however, allow you time to observe your new worshipers, to learn their rhythms and way of life. Like your own children, they are carnivores and egg-layers, and subsist by hunting. They prefer however, to stay clear of any creatures larger than them, which means their diet is mostly fish and whatever unfortunate they stumble upon while scouting the caverns. There is a great deal however, which preys on them in turn. They have escaped the reach of many of the most egregious threats by camping on an island in the middle of an underground lake, though that has also left them vulnerable to Cave Crocodiles and Troglodytes, the latter of which are quite populous in these caverns. That isn't the primary rival of your Reptilian worshippers however. That would be a tribe of Ant-people, more prolific than the Reptillians, and with much more control of the territory. The reptiles catch and kill the smallest of them from time to time, but the larger of the ant people are vigilant warriors larger than the Reptile tribesman. They know where the Reptiles are located, and keep a careful watch from the shoreline, though there is far too much for them to cover completely while still providing for their own food and defence.

One of the tribesfolk, a young female, has been placed in charge of your shrine. She's been given the responsibility of ensuring the sacrifices to you, and over the course of months, she begins to become more familiar with the tangibility of your presence. You learn her mind, and in turn, she gains a taste of the powers you have to offer. The rest of the tribe remains rather aloof from you, paying only lip service, but her devotion has become more genuine. You are not the only being which has found worship by the tribe however. Another shrine, made of better kept chitin scavenged from the bodies of ant-people, is kept in order by another shaman in the tribe. It depicts a great ant, eyeless, with huge mandibles. It's body is emaciated, it's chitin cracked, but the tribe has a great deal of fear and reverance for this creature. The shaman which leads its worship possesses powers of blight, and mastery of the rhythms in the caverns. It's worth thinking about how acceptable this worship is to you, wether a tribal, binary pantheon is acceptable to you, or wether you would prefer to oppose the worship of this monstrosity.

Over time, you recover enough to extend a tendril out to your own shaman, able at last to communicate directly. She is overjoyed by this contact with her deity. Until this point she had only been able to lead in your worship, and to experiment with the fledgling powers you've given her while hunting. She immediately asks what your will is for her.
It's a worthy question. Right now, she is your primary link to your worshipers, who are keen on the worship of another deity just now. You could attempt in some way to rally their devotion, or perhaps your priorities are on the search for your own children. Either way, both your spiritual and mental energies require allocation, and neither will be spent cheaply. Your worship has left you with just enough power to perform a single holy work, after which your spiritual energies will be left in recovery once again. This power could be used in another ways, and some examples immediately spring to mind.

You could attempt to possess the mind of one of your followers for a few months, directing their work upon a holy artifact related to your sphere. You could attempt to shroud your worshippers from the eyes of predators, helping to keep them safe. You could empower your Shaman with yet greater spiritual power, though their level of skill may limit how much they can take advantage of that. Or you suppose you could simply hoard the scraps of power you possess, consuming them to help speed your own recovery.
Meanwhile you have a shaman to commune with, and you ought to also spend time instructing them. For one, she requires orders to follow for the next extended period of time. For another, you have much that you could teach her. Her skills are limited, so you could help her grow in the skills she currently possesses, or you could try to teach her something new, something totally foreign to her and her tribe. Teaching her a new skill or ethic would be a difficult undertaking, but it would make her more useful, potentially more in line with what you may want out of a servant.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 04:13:02 pm »

Hmn...
First off, we are as of yet still weak; there is much to lose by opposing an other god, and much to gain from cooperation. If possible, we may want to use our power to reach out to this other deity, to try to communicate with them.

As for our shaman... I feel that she should better learn to dodge. It is our will that all that attack her shall find it impossible, and that under their blows she seems as insubstantial as mist, and as impossible to strike.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 04:32:44 pm »

Hmn...
First off, we are as of yet still weak; there is much to lose by opposing an other god, and much to gain from cooperation. If possible, we may want to use our power to reach out to this other deity, to try to communicate with them.

As for our shaman... I feel that she should better learn to dodge. It is our will that all that attack her shall find it impossible, and that under their blows she seems as insubstantial as mist, and as impossible to strike.

+1 to communication and to increasing the dodging skill of our shaman.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »

Any orders for your shaman in the meantime?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 05:06:30 pm »

Continue to worship us, and try to get the others to conduct proper worship to us, rather than simply paying lip service.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »

Hmn...

+1 to both, though I'm unsure of how okay we should be with another god pinching from what is already a rather small pool of worship. Regardless, best to figure out where we stand in terms of power when compared to it before we act.

I'd like our shaman to identify just how many of our tribe devoutly worship this thing, so we can better realize what we're up against.

Also attempt to learn more about the troglodytes. The creatures are at least semi-intelligent, and if they are very numerous in the caverns, a unified force of them may be able to deal a serious blow to the rival ant people.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 02:48:07 am »

We should teach her how to make well crafted (instead of crude) spears out of chitin/bone, stone and/or wood (instead of only wood).  She is already a crafter and she could give the spears out in our name once she has some good ones.

+1 to reaching out to the other god, or at least learning what they ask of worshipers.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 11:12:37 pm »

In the middle of a move, so working on the update Monday.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »

+1 to all of the above, if we can cooperate with the other deity we can gain much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3