Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 132587 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2017, 10:42:32 am »

I honestly think the utility bless is quite helpful for almost any nation. Although I have to question if 8 fire to get +60 leadership and +2 morale could be considered a utility bless. Regardless, 3 in all paths makes for an interesting grab bag of stuff useful for nations with sacred mages.

I'll correct myself, utility bless I think is any bless that doesn't require blessing to activate, like half dead, leadership or any of the survival skills.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:23:20 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:26 pm »

Eh. Dominions 3 was the era of the supercombatant, and Dominions 4 was the era of mage support, but it's not yet clear what the dominant consideration of Dominions 5 will be. Sacreds may indeed matter more.

I agree that it's not clear what the overall consensus for Dom5 will be, and I tend to agree it probably won't be mage-blobs. Troops in general feel stronger than they have in a long time just because of how WeGo feels vs. UGoIGo, and even though there's some nasty new blesses out there, it's harder to get strong blesses early without wrecking your economy (although the blessed pretender part helps make that feel less painful). Basically, the only clear truth ATM is that we don't yet know with certainty how the meta has changed.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2017, 04:39:37 pm »

So when selecting a god, what does that list of tiers mean? (Dominion 1,2,3,4)

Also, it seems that flying units now can always reach the back row without fail. Anyone else feel that that requires you to now have a massive amount of back row defenders? Like if you have even a small gap, a flying unit can just slip in a deadly stab to one of your mages.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2017, 04:42:21 pm »

Starting dominion. That's literally all it is.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2017, 04:42:32 pm »

The higher your dominion, the faster it spreads and the stronger it is, which is good when you're butting up against another nation's dominion. The pretender tiers are their starting dominion.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 12, 2017, 08:31:33 pm »

It's technically just the starting Dominion score, which has strong implications for the cost of increasing your dominion score, but de facto it's a sorting metric so you've got immobiles, titans, monsters, and rainbows in their own categories.

Also, it seems that flying units now can always reach the back row without fail. Anyone else feel that that requires you to now have a massive amount of back row defenders? Like if you have even a small gap, a flying unit can just slip in a deadly stab to one of your mages.
Yeah, solid tactical positioning now means a line with no gaps, like it would have historically, rather than archer traps and whatnot.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2017, 10:04:15 pm »

WeGo feels vs. UGoIGo
Uhhh, could I get an explanation for these acronyms?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2017, 10:12:05 pm »

WeGo feels vs. UGoIGo
Uhhh, could I get an explanation for these acronyms?
We Go (both sides simultaneously) vs You Go, I Go (each side in turn).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2017, 01:50:23 am »

It's technically just the starting Dominion score, which has strong implications for the cost of increasing your dominion score, but de facto it's a sorting metric so you've got immobiles, titans, monsters, and rainbows in their own categories.

The only other thing to note besides that is that in disciples games, the pretender has to be a 3 or 4, and the disciples have to be 1 or 2.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2017, 04:40:43 am »

So I would orginally have gone with the most cheesy thing I found while testing - helheim Bless (Eternal + whatever you want).

There troops have spirit sight, stealthy, good map move, glamour... so the enemy never knows where it comes form. These sets of 1 commander and 4-5 Holy units can defeat any indies and PD (like up to 30 I think?) with ease.
Some examples in the picture.

You can compensate for the lack of researchers with your awake pretender and work your way up conj. to throw out more scareds.

Unlike most bless rushes, these guys are always useful - no PD can stop them and nothing can find them and you got X-1 of these Murder Squads, where X is the turns passed in the game. You don't have to tank your scales to much for them either, so its all good.

Once the normal riders lose utility, you can switch to valkerys (or just summon them), to hit the enemy backline hard, but mostly, in the spirit of the nation, you just steal every undefended province you can find.

If you count Tactical Utility as well as pure combat power, they are my fav. - Especially since the nation can do earthquake bombs (with the dwarfs) to destroy regular armys that would be to big for you.

(Big Image, beware)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 13, 2017, 08:36:51 am »

High starting dominion does no longer bring awe to the pretender?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:35 am »

Awe is a bless now, I think fire.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2017, 11:22:46 am »

-snip-

I'm 95% certain that Helheim could do all of this in Dom 4 without Ethereal so I don't think that this is a case where Dom 5 has changed things. Not to imply that Ethereal is a bad bless, I think it's one of the better ones, but Helheim could probably be almost as effective without it. Also I feel like you're really overstating how great Earthquake is, seeing as it's only 8 armour piercing damage, is defence negates and has 200% casting time. Calling them Earthquake bombs is probably quite literal, as you probably need a couple Svartlf to make a sizable dent in the enemy army and give them enough support to prevent them from being focused down by enemy mages spamming Mind Burn or what have you. So if they can take out an army, they'll probably take themselves out too and you're out a sizable investment in earth gems and gold.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2017, 11:44:15 am »

You're right - one of the reasons why I didn't play em in the MP game we got going on right now (also its not that much fun to depend on a one-trick-pony).

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:31 am »

Oh. I thought I was being overly nasty and critical. My apologies. Carry on.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 67