Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Cult Race: Genestealers  (Read 12834 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult Race: Genestealers
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 10:48:19 am »

Alright, I've got a couple of minutes here.

My suggestion is to unleash a mosquito-like infector drone capable of converting a target.

We'll be able to convert every single hostile cultist to the Plague, at least most of them, with the probable exception of the chaos marine guys, who SHOULD keep their blasted helmets sealed if they've got brained.

Of course, they're chaos lunatics, so no guarantees.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 12:13:37 pm »

My concern is that it could be easily countered, with protective gear, flamers, or just plain old mosquito netting. I'm concerned that we won't get the payoff for the investment we'd need to make it worthwhile.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 03:19:45 pm »

It's also usable to get civilian converts.

My thought is that if we make it instead that it's an insect infection, so our insects lay eggs inside the target(s) and they eat their way out, turning the biomass into more HP (Best acronym ever, right?), we can't get killed for heresy.

The Imperium doesn't care about the state of its citizens, so if our biomass is collected through infection/insect things, we can collect a LOT of it from citizens without raising alarms. Probably.

Of course, we'd also have a caste of bugs capable of implanting themselves in the brains of sleeping targets, such as high-level military officials, politicians, etc., and then linking them to the hive mind. This way, we can get control of their brains. Of a FEW PEOPLE ONLY, of course, and get benefits while still staying moderately undetectable. Just make sure that, should they get compromised, that they take a head shot for the kill. That should keep our meddling undetectable.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:54 pm »

So Madman, I don't know if it will affect your decision but I figure I'd give fair warning for the first- the "genesquito" idea is absolutely going to be turned into a grand design.
That's a completely new bioform you want to build from the ground up, and using womb incubation and hybridisation as the method means a slow startup.
It might not take incredibly long, but it'll definitely take more than one turn and there'll likely be a prerequisite tech for either intergenerationally supporting small bioforms or the botfly breeding idea.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 04:47:07 pm »

It takes multiple turns to make a miniaturized version of the present genestealer thing?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 05:06:31 pm »

It's less the miniaturization, as I understand it, and more of the infection/incubation/etc stuff. It's easy for the Patriarch/First Generation spawn to lay eggs in willing hosts, less so for little bugs to infect unwilling people in their sleep.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 05:13:56 pm »

It'd be two separate designs, in fact.

The infection thing would be a middle/late-game method to develop upper-level influence.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 05:19:23 pm »

I'm a little confused. What's your suggestion for this turn's dice budget, specifically?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 05:33:19 pm »

Haven't made a solid one yet.

It's going to be the infester bug, that lays eggs in anything meat-based and has the larvae eat their way out.

They'll be part of the hive mind, so we should be capable of multiplying ourselves rapidly. Now, individuals of this theoretical race will be useless, so we next need a way to convert them to pure HP biomass. That's next "turn", before battle is joined.

Although we might reverse the order, in case we need a Grand Design to do the biomass-conversion thing.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 11:40:34 pm »

Going to give you guys a poke, see if we can get a consensus.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:55 pm »

I'll resubmit my previous proposal:
  • 2 dice to Trucks
  • 2 dice to Camouflage
  • 1 dice to Tougher Carapaces

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 12:17:31 am »

3 dice minimum for a design MNII, is the issue.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 12:39:41 am »

Oh, jeez, I totally missed how they were supposed to be distributed. Sorry:
Let's do Camouflage: 2 dice to Effectiveness, 2 dice to Cost, and 1 dice to Bugs.
Did I do that right?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 12:44:31 am »

You did do that right, but it's a very cautious approach. Multiple dice rolled on one aspect is "roll two and pick the highest", so you're likely to get a good outcome, but you have less dice in the pocket for revisions on the case of a bad.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:49 am »

Oh, we can save dice? I'm clearly flying my newbie colors. :P
I'd go for a simple 1 each, then, I suppose.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11