Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: philosophy: is "chair" an opinion?  (Read 5062 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Philosophy: Is "chair" an opinion?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 06:48:53 am »

* disagreements about logic (my baby brother says that 1+1=11)
I disagree with this category. By its very definition logic is not disputable. Take your example, for instance. 1+1=11 is not an opinion; it is an utter and complete falsehood. The thing about mathematics is that everything is very black and white -- given the same fundamental set of axioms, everything is either true or false. If you can present a mathematical proof of a statement, that statement is completely and unconditionally true. The same arguments can be applied to logic (which in my opinion falls into the category of mathematics).
Disagreements about logic should reduce to an error in at least one person's thought, yes. I am trying to describe why two people might say "climate change is happening" and "climate change is not happening." One of them might have made an error, or they might have differing judgment despite common data, or - I have hitherto assumed that all participants are acting in good faith and wish to discover truth, and furthermore that they are all perfectly aware of their own reasoning. If this is not true, then there are many more possible reasons for disagreement.

1+1=11 is a possible valid statement, under the laws of language. It corresponds to an invalid statement under the laws of mathematics and the commonly-held axioms, but it is possible to disagree with 1+1=2. Everyone will just think you are stupid or insane, though.

", when preceded by itself in quotes, is unprovable.", when preceded by itself in quotes, is unprovable.
", when preceded by itself in quotes, proves itself.", when preceded by itself in quotes, proves itself.

(Not a spiral truth-untruth, but still on shaky grounds for believing it.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:54:51 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: philosophy: is "chair" an opinion?
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 06:53:08 am »

(confound it, sorry for the double-post)

Not true, actually. See Gödel's incompleteness theorem. You can have statements that are true that cannot be proven to be true. Toss in the negative proof of the Entscheidungsproblem and you have that there is no way to actually prove that a statement cannot be proven given a particular set of axioms.

So, it is true that any proposition in mathematical logic can be true or false. It is not true that there necessarily exists a proof of the truth or falsehood of a statement that is true or false, or whether there's a way to tell whether such a proof exists in the first place. Proof implies truth. Truth does not imply the existence of a proof.
(Ispil, does your signature imply that philosophy can turn you to evil? :P)

Wait, any proposition? Even those that have been proven?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 07:29:39 am »

No, for example, you are not allowed to proposition strangers.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 08:34:52 am »

What? Nobody told me this rule.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 09:58:24 am »

Well that's why you're in the jailhouse now
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:25 am »

Wait, you mean I was supposed to stay there? I knocked down the wall and walked out first thing.
Dammit, why doesn't anyone tell me these silly social contracts?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 11:31:40 am »

Not true, actually. See Gödel's incompleteness theorem. You can have statements that are true that cannot be proven to be true. Toss in the negative proof of the Entscheidungsproblem and you have that there is no way to actually prove that a statement cannot be proven given a particular set of axioms.

So, it is true that any proposition in mathematical logic can be true or false. It is not true that there necessarily exists a proof of the truth or falsehood of a statement that is true or false, or whether there's a way to tell whether such a proof exists in the first place. Proof implies truth. Truth does not imply the existence of a proof.

I mean the definition of a proposition- a statement which can be either true or false. They are not to be confused with facts, which cannot be false. They are truth-bearers.
Ah, I was going by the layperson's definition ("a statement or assertion that expresses a judgment or opinion"), but you meant the more specific philosophical term, of which I was not aware. Okay.

So if I say something mathematical and it has been proved, it is a fact. Otherwise, it is a proposition. Is that the distinction? And does that mean that propositions become facts after being proven?

Wait, but... You say that "there is no way to actually prove that a statement cannot be proven given a particular set of axioms", but what if I have proven that "'1+1=2' is true" is true? Doesn't that mean that "'1+1=2' is false" is false and thus disproven, then?
Sigtext!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 12:26:31 pm »

I mean the definition of a proposition- a statement which can be either true or false. They are not to be confused with facts, which cannot be false. They are truth-bearers.
Ah, I was going by the layperson's definition ("a statement or assertion that expresses a judgment or opinion"), but you meant the more specific philosophical term, of which I was not aware. Okay.

So if I say something mathematical and it has been proved, it is a fact. Otherwise, it is a proposition. Is that the distinction? And does that mean that propositions become facts after being proven?

Wait, but... You say that "there is no way to actually prove that a statement cannot be proven given a particular set of axioms", but what if I have proven that "'1+1=2' is true" is true? Doesn't that mean that "'1+1=2' is false" is false and thus disproven, then?
I think he made a typo (he meant "that statement" not "that a statement") and was only referencing the Entscheidungsproblem.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 02:14:49 pm »

Is saying something is a chair an opinion?

In the sense that I can put the full weight of my arse on it, without discomfort on my part, sure.  I can opinionate that just about anything, including another human, could be a opinioned as a chair.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »

I think we will find if we put that theory to test that non-human chairs will be a lot less opiniated than human ones
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:21 pm »

Heck with chairs: is opinion?

Is is?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:39 pm »

ia ia chairthulo fthagn

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:37 pm »

T-t-t-team Up Combo! Flawless Victory!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 05:06:07 am »

Given a proposition, there is no way to prove that a proof or disproof exists without actually finding said proof or disproof. Think about it like the halting problem (since it's just a variation on it). If a proof does exist for a proposition, that makes the proposition true for that given set of axioms. It does not necessarily make it fact. If you want, you can take a look into proof theory to get an idea of what a proof entails in a math-theoretic sense.

There's no distinction between a "mathematical proposition" and a proposition. All that's required is that a proposition is a closed sentence. Closed sentence being the mathematical logic definition of a sentence; that is, a boolean-expressible formula with no free variables. As contrasted with an open sentence, which contains free variables.
That just seems a bit tautological. Isn't "true under these axioms" the same as "proved within these axioms", by definition?
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 06:02:02 am »

That just seems a bit tautological. Isn't "true under these axioms" the same as "proved within these axioms", by definition?
Not really, but that road leads you off into the dark underbrush of the Reals.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4