Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for subterranean creatures?  (Read 660 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Ideas for subterranean creatures?
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:18:01 pm »

I've decided to add in some subterranean beasts into Culture Shock along with the new Feytouched castes for the races. Any ideas for some beasts to lurk the underground?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:22:31 pm by Asin »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for subterranean creatures?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:44:13 pm »

I've decided to add in some subterranean beasts into Culture Shock along with the new Feytouched castes for the races. Any ideas for some beasts to lurk the underground?

A blob of mud, armed with a lot of steel weapons.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:54:10 pm »

Depends on what the feel of the rest of culture shock is like and how much high magic there is in the world. Plenty of room for more cave adapted surface creatures similar to the blind cave bear and cave croc. Can have exinct creatues that survived underground. Inorganic rock type creatures can come in a variety of shapes. I'd quite like an inbetween case of mineral based creatures that still require useable organs made out of rock. Or other bizarre biology possible in dwarf fortress.

You can play around with the underground animal people tribes as well. Not a huge amount but you can give them different styles of weapons and armour, along with better materials if you want to up the threat. I think playing around with this and seeing what you can do with it will probably suit your mod the most.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 01:48:04 pm »

A blob of mud, armed with a lot of steel weapons.
it would fall apart from a single bolt or so though. It would need a steel skin or bones or something to give it structure. Mud-based FBs for example, are the least likely to do any damage to your fort unless they manage to give you a syndrome, but it's more likely a trog will kill them before that. Same with ash and materials like that.

Now, a gigantic mud-slime with steel bones and obsidian innards that spits deadly goop...
'ere the Chias get hungry...

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:30:38 am »

I usually look towards cryptids and other creatures. My favorite so far is the Jersey Devil, has a poisonous tail and chews through my guys.

Here's a nice list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptids

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!