Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The first anvil  (Read 3089 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The first anvil
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:47:18 am »

Question: how did the first dwarven civilization create their first anvil? Did it grow on a tree?  ???

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The first anvil
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 04:02:26 am »

In the beginning there was darkness, then DFHack said "Let there be anvils."
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 04:15:24 am »

Question: how did the first dwarven civilization create their first anvil? Did it grow on a tree?  ???

Elf sympathizer! Get the pitchforks! Althrough anvil trees would be hilarious, what with falling fruit.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 04:45:31 am »

Elf sympathizer!

uh-oh
Did I just expose my horrible secret?

Seriously though, that's an interesting theory about DFHack, but I'm not sure non-player civilizations have access to it. There must be another secret to it. Can you build one with llama entrails? Can you summon one if you perform the correct ritual? Did they make it from worn-out masterwork socks, perhaps?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 04:48:27 am »

It was cast into a mold

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:28:07 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Anvil

I think that a strange mood with fire-safe bone or rock make the first anvil.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 07:25:31 am »

In current versions it was either a strange mood or else Armok left a single perfect anvil in the world and the first dwarven civilization found it, and began using it to make copies of itself.

In reality there's intended to be a point in development where the game gets granular enough to be like Gnomoria. In that one you use a log and a stone to make your initial workshop and you build up from there. So we'll probably see a point where you can use a firesafe boulder to craft rudimentary metal implements like anvils.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:07 am »

Toady might add an easter egg, where with a 0.01% chance, the mythgen menu has an entry on how the first anvil was made.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 04:11:37 am »

It was called a rock.  That was hit with another rock.  And neither were probably fire safe.

It broke/was set on fire/exploded into a thousand pieces/was stolen by a kea?

Oh well...  To the rock-heap for another anvil!
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 02:26:21 pm »

I believe that the first anvil was hammered into existence on itself. It's well-known that the fey spirits and gods that inspire dwarves to great feats of creation care nothing for the mortal concept of time; artifacts have been known to depict events and objects from after the time of their own construction, after all, and in one extreme case an artifact was inscribed with seventy-three images of itself. In much the same way, the ancient Dwarven gods of the forge would see no issue in folding the ever-present flames of Time around a blacksmith to bring the gift of metalsmithing to Dwarvenkind.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 05:55:27 pm »

This has been a subject of discussion for quite some time in Dwarf Fortress. I believe that Armok provided it, as he forges and reforges the world in an endless cycle.

Either that or they just compacted enough elves under a bridge to a point where they could use the resulting super-dense mass as an anvil.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »

I am also a believer in "strange mood led to strange mood anvil, led to further anvils." It just makes more sense.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »

Looks like the DF community has already started to separate into different religious sects.
It was inevitable.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 11:20:14 pm »

Looks like the DF community has already started to separate into different religious sects.
It was inevitable.

]but really, we always were
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:17:09 am »

A dwarf has got to ask, "What is an anvil without a hammer?" and then "Are we dwarfs the hammers of Armok, bringing order and form to chaos?"
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: [1] 2