Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO: Vendetta of the Split  (Read 44575 times)

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO. Time to make up for the mistakes
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2018, 12:43:22 pm »

Speaking of anomalies and spoilers, I suggest looking into the secret signal by the starting station(it was at the starting station for my Young Gun start anyways). It will start a mission chain with a reward you won't want to miss out on.

Was this the "?" on the map that blinks? I saw this and tried to go to this, but never did find anything. Have not seen it since I've gone back looking for it now.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2018, 02:46:25 pm »

Speaking of anomalies and spoilers, I suggest looking into the secret signal by the starting station(it was at the starting station for my Young Gun start anyways). It will start a mission chain with a reward you won't want to miss out on.

Was this the "?" on the map that blinks? I saw this and tried to go to this, but never did find anything. Have not seen it since I've gone back looking for it now.

No, it shows up as a small weird sparkling, firework-like effect somewhere on or extremely close to the station, it makes noise that gets louder the close you get and you need to get extremely close to it with the station scanning mode to it to start a mission. It's definitely not something to miss out on though and as far as I can tell there are other missions hidden this way in places. I think you may need to do a long range scan first to make it show up, unsure. It was spotted while I was doing the scanner tutorial.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2018, 02:46:53 pm »

Patch 1.10 up.

E: I just told someone to "surrender" and they actually did. I don't think I ever saw this request work, all the way back to X2.
They had ejected their cargo already, and when I told them to surrender, the captain and 2 crew ejected and gave up the ship (so 3 eject pods). Only issue was..that broke the mission I was doing, in which I was supposed to shoot them until they dropped some stolen goods (which they didn't). So I reloaded and did it again, and they didn't surrender. I'm not really interested in running Small Transports atm.

By the way, did anyone find any Modifications yet?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 03:16:06 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2018, 03:12:12 pm »

Anyway, can I ask a Terran Conflict-related question here? If that's so, then where I should build my factory, and what kind of factory is good for humble beginnings of a small interstellar corp?

I recommend 1MJ shields in an area near Ore mines and an equipment dock that buys them. Small shields are almost always sellable, the universe has an insatiable appetite for them. I have a feeling Antigone Memorial was where I last did that, but I don't recall.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2018, 03:58:19 pm »

I can actually play the game now but I'm still getting a not okay amount of instability. Am I just terrible at life or is docking obnoxiously difficult? Even when I'm not pitching wildly and uncontrollably I spend a lot of time trying to find that sweet spot.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2018, 04:09:22 pm »

I can actually play the game now but I'm still getting a not okay amount of instability. Am I just terrible at life or is docking obnoxiously difficult? Even when I'm not pitching wildly and uncontrollably I spend a lot of time trying to find that sweet spot.

Get a docking computer as soon as possible. You'll just need to get close to the pad and you'll dock.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Brouzouf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2018, 05:26:03 pm »

I played X2, X3. Strong impression they had a lot of untapped potential.

Wouldn't mind if the game still looked like the original X, or ran on a modified Quake 1 engine, I've always just wanted them to focus on fleshing out the game mechanics rather than it feeling like an MMO beta leaning on players to fill in the content but without the players.

How's X4 comparing to any prior X game with mods in terms of fleshed out game mechanics? I remember even with mods, a lot of stuff was still broken, never fixed, or only partly implemented. Edit: And the combat was pretty hit or miss without mods in some of the earlier games, namely the game didn't scale worth a damn due to bad AI and poor ability to manage fleets. If the game actually scales like they advertised wayyy back in X2 (looking at you, AI-clusterfucks at every gate), I'd finally be interested in buying into the X series again.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 05:37:21 pm by Brouzouf »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2018, 09:10:33 pm »

Get a docking computer as soon as possible. You'll just need to get close to the pad and you'll dock.

Lots of people on the Steam and official forums stressing how the docking computer is an absolutely must buy.
Personally, I never had that much trouble landing without the computer. I've tried the Mk1 and Mk2 and they are certainly convenient, but far from what I would consider top priority.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2018, 11:49:37 pm »

Omg. After 20h, I realized there's a "Behavior" Tab under the Object Information Menu, that lets you set many handy things like Auto-Mine, Auto-Trade, Auto-Explore, etc. Here's an image.
This also lets you see the order queue. Really cool screen.

This is what I get for not doing tutorials. I have a scout doing weird stuff for 8h+, because if you manually tell a ship to explore a sector, it behaves very weird. Setting it's Default Behavior as Explore seems to work, so finally that 7k+ Travel Drive will hopefully discover something on it's own.
Also, the Global Behavior Settings for your ships is under Player Information (Top Menu) > Empire (Left Menu) > On the list of various random things, there's Global Standing Orders. Here you can set whether ships should run from/attack pirates, comply/run from police, and even Claim or Mark abandoned ships on their own!

Today all my gameplay hours went into mostly experimenting with cheese tactics from X:R. They all fail...you can't (easily, without wasting hours retrying) capture a L freighter or destroyer with a M3+. Who would've thought..

-snip-
Still the same game. The map, RTS controls, UI overhaul and loadout system is good enough to bring anyone playing X3 into X4 IMO, unless using the bigger total conversion mods with more dynamic universe.
In X4 I feel the universe is too tame - there's a civil war + multilateral conflict + xenon war going on, with gates making enemies literally neighbors, and I've never really seen much fighting or incursions. I did see a few recent wrecks, that included deployed Lasertowers, so I know shit is going down sometimes. But overall, currently I feel there's not a whole lot going on, whereas in X3TC and even X3AP if you had a few satellites around you could see a lot of action.
There's also some stuff that were good in X:R that isn't present here for some reason. Like asking people where you can find a Shipyard, being able to comms with any NPCs inside a station, and being able to move crew via pods/taxi (whatever they were).

I'll stop wasting time doing weird things and test out further features. I still really want some Modifications and I can't seem to find or craft them yet.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2018, 12:12:55 am »

So it seems that since Egosoft couldn't code the autopilot to be safe, they made it cheat. I've had my ship autopilot to a lot of places and it has flown right through some asteroids, has used the travel drive to fly sideways and even backwards. It has gone through a lot of gate structures and only once did it impact and take damage but it had gone through 3/4 of the gate's arm before it happened.

Autopilot is still not 100% safe, but it's pretty damn safe now thanks to huge leniency when it comes to impacts and cheating with flight physics, just don't panic and turn it off if it's about to hit something.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2018, 01:15:53 am »

Wasted a lot of time on noob shit today...

I set out to build my first ship. Spent about 2 hours checking different stations, until I learned that only Shipyards and Wharfs can construct ships, and Shipyards only construct the big ships, not the small.

So I went to the only Wharf I had found and spent all my space-monies on a shiny new ship, after wasting another hour figuring out that apparently I have to add the new ship to my shopping cart before I can go to checkout. The space station did not have enough engine parts so they estimated 1 hour to build the thing; an hour later, no progress had been made. There was a nearby factory in the same sector selling lots of engine parts, and I could sell them for a profit at the Wharf, except my crappy starting ship could only carry 3 parts per trip and the new ship I was trying to build needed 150 parts.

I set out to find another Wharf. 4 hours later, I finally found one. This galaxy either needs a lot more Wharfs, or I was just really unlucky in my searching. It didn't help that my starting ship was slow and and had the minimum scanning tool. Fortunately, this Shipyard had plenty of ship parts, and I was finally able to build my new space-boat! It's a fighter with 3x the firepower, 2x the travel speed, and 4x the cargo space compared to my starting ship, so I'm rather excited. Time to have some fun!

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2018, 02:12:48 am »

No, it shows up as a small weird sparkling, firework-like effect somewhere on or extremely close to the station, it makes noise that gets louder the close you get and you need to get extremely close to it with the station scanning mode to it to start a mission. It's definitely not something to miss out on though and as far as I can tell there are other missions hidden this way in places. I think you may need to do a long range scan first to make it show up, unsure. It was spotted while I was doing the scanner tutorial.

Thanks. I figured that out not long by reading on the steam forums. I thought that was a strange effect when I first started the game and was thinking it was a bugged effect so I ignored it haha.

I find docking to be very easy, then again I also understand how instrument landing systems on real life aircraft work and the two share a lot of similarities

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2018, 04:15:35 am »

I suggest you be careful when upgrading your ship. The upgrades and deployables you buy require the station to spend components. The station I'm at did not have the materials to give me the satellites I bought but still decided to go ahead with it, now my ship is stuck because the upgrade countdown is frozen. Can't cancel the upgrade, can't take off. Fortunately I have a trading ship, I'll see if having it bring the scanning arrays the station needs solves the issue.

Edit: Yup fixed it. Funny thing is I put ALL my credits in that scanning array shipment and my trade ship almost got taken out by a pirate on the way in. I wouldn't have been able to do anything at that point.

Edit 2: I've been looking for split sectors this whole time and I just found out that the only 3 races in X4 are Argon, Telladi, and Paranid. Guess that's going to limit ship options.

Edit 3: I ran into the same problem when trying to buy a new ship. click the little "+" next to each thing in the shopping list for your upgrade/ship and make sure none of the components are in red. If some are red, might as well haul some over and make some profitsss.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:58:15 am by Ygdrad »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2018, 12:21:24 pm »

Oh I don't know if I lucked out or what, but I never seen any shortage issues happening in Wharf in any of the Argon/Antigone/Ministry/Teladi/Paranid territories. The universe is doing pretty good on its own, to the point of it being boring as I rarely ever bump into any foes.

Edit 2: I've been looking for split sectors this whole time and I just found out that the only 3 races in X4 are Argon, Telladi, and Paranid. Guess that's going to limit ship options.

It bothers me a bit that this game doesn't apply the same effort towards lore and storytelling like it did in X:R.. you could understand everything by checking the videos, encyclopedia, map, etc.
In this case, I think the Split houses were Split (*ahem*) and probably fought each other, like the Paranid. Except they faced huge incursion of Xenon, that wiped them out. In Split-named sectors, taken by the Xenon, you can find lots of Split wrecks.
Now, I think the Split are mostly in the Scale Plate Pact, and work in the shadows as Black Marketers and other shady stuff.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2018, 12:41:03 pm »

Oh I don't know if I lucked out or what, but I never seen any shortage issues happening in Wharf in any of the Argon/Antigone/Ministry/Teladi/Paranid territories. The universe is doing pretty good on its own, to the point of it being boring as I rarely ever bump into any foes.

It might be worth noting that the Wharf I was at which had a massive draught of Engine Parts, there was also a lot of constant fighting in that sector. I suspect this may have prevented the NPC traders from supplying parts to the Station.
I'm not entirely sure what the fighting was about, but on the radio I heard a lot of racist comments about machine lifeforms. One side was pretty heavily outnumbered, so I joined in the fray and managed to scoop up enough salvage to pay for the construction of another ship in another sector.

Edit: Also, the docking bay of the Shipyard without parts was full of pilots doing their Wonder-Woman impression as they tried to construct ships that could not be built.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:44:11 pm by Folly »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16