Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 303284 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edited previous post with a more...definitive action form of my vague suggestion. If you count my vote, KJP's vote, and Glass's vote, that's a total of three and the game can move on. Though maybe we want to wait for them to check the new action version to be sure they still agree with it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox

About four hours for a full(ish) read, skipping a page or two here and there but getting all the plot points.

EDIT:
So, how about we point out to Anna that the Secondborn is out there, and if she has the intact Key she is a prime target, along with the kid and anyone in the general vicinity. The Secondborn has already shown that collateral damage is meaningless to him, after all.

EDIT2: Since people took this as an actual action.

"Look, the Key is a psychic device in nature, yes? You ought to remember that we happen to have a dangerous lunatic running around with a love for control and a thing about world domination. If I was to give you this key, the kid here would be next on the Secondborn's list. The list of people who he's running around destroying utterly. I don't know if you've heard, but he razed the temple of the Protinam to the ground. Killed them all, burned it, and stole a large artifact, in less time than it took us to send a team to help them. Do you understand the stakes? One...thing, destroyed an entire group of people with mind powers, burned their sanctuary, and stole their stuff, before a group of mortals could even reach the site."
+1

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile

About four hours for a full(ish) read, skipping a page or two here and there but getting all the plot points.

EDIT:
So, how about we point out to Anna that the Secondborn is out there, and if she has the intact Key she is a prime target, along with the kid and anyone in the general vicinity. The Secondborn has already shown that collateral damage is meaningless to him, after all.

EDIT2: Since people took this as an actual action.

"Look, the Key is a psychic device in nature, yes? You ought to remember that we happen to have a dangerous lunatic running around with a love for control and a thing about world domination. If I was to give you this key, the kid here would be next on the Secondborn's list. The list of people who he's running around destroying utterly. I don't know if you've heard, but he razed the temple of the Protinam to the ground. Killed them all, burned it, and stole a large artifact, in less time than it took us to send a team to help them. Do you understand the stakes? One...thing, destroyed an entire group of people with mind powers, burned their sanctuary, and stole their stuff, before a group of mortals could even reach the site."
+1
+1.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anna is obviously affected by this line of reasoning. “The… the Key is a psychic weapon,” she says. “Manipulates minds. We think it could be our one chance to defeat the Secondborn, possibly excise him.”

The woman steps forward. “This Key could exorcise the demon of which you speak within seconds, once returned to Boonering’s rightful heir,” she says, gesturing at the little kid behind her. He looks up at her and laughs. “It’s your one chance to get your prophet back.”

“Besides,” adds Jacob, “You’ve been holding the shards for some time now, and the Secondborn hasn't come after you. So why’s that, eh? What makes you think he’ll show up to take them from us?”

What do you do?

A: Hand over the Key fragments
B: Continue refusing, give what to say
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He can see the future. He stole an artifact from the Protinam that allows him to search the future from any point. I don't believe you know how the Protinam's abilities work. They can see branches in the future based on decisions and choices. It's possible the Secondborn has not yet mastered the ability. Perhaps more likely is that he has not yet thought to consider the right choices, that he has not yet seen the futures in which Jacob might confront him with the Key. When he does, he will desire this weapon, or its destruction. It is how his mind works: to strengthen and defend Atlantis is his calling. If he cannot possess it, he will destroy it.

More importantly, I will not allow you to hand a weapon to a child and assume that they will be able to master it fast enough to bring down the Secondborn.

I have an option for you, though. Come with us. We will not remake the Key, not here...but it is possible we will do so later. I believe you know Erin Quill? The Protinam, we learned, cannot search the future around him. There are too many possibilities appearing and dissolving rapidly for them to make any sense of. We will go there...and then we will see what can be done about this. I will commit to nothing now, because the less we decide on the harder it will be for the Secondborn to track us down. I think you can agree that, for now at the least, we need to work together. A living Secondborn is a far worse threat to the entire world than the Republic ever could be.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Partially? Because we can't repair it. We might have it, but that's about as useful as having a treasure chest whose key was lost at sea twenty years ago. There was no reason to go after us just for having the shards. Once your kid repairs it - assuming they even can, they're a little child - then it's a threat. Once there's even a decent probablitily it will be repaired, it's a threat

I was gonna finish this but MM is really good.
+1 to their speech.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox

He can see the future. He stole an artifact from the Protinam that allows him to search the future from any point. I don't believe you know how the Protinam's abilities work. They can see branches in the future based on decisions and choices. It's possible the Secondborn has not yet mastered the ability. Perhaps more likely is that he has not yet thought to consider the right choices, that he has not yet seen the futures in which Jacob might confront him with the Key. When he does, he will desire this weapon, or its destruction. It is how his mind works: to strengthen and defend Atlantis is his calling. If he cannot possess it, he will destroy it.

More importantly, I will not allow you to hand a weapon to a child and assume that they will be able to master it fast enough to bring down the Secondborn.

I have an option for you, though. Come with us. We will not remake the Key, not here...but it is possible we will do so later. I believe you know Erin Quill? The Protinam, we learned, cannot search the future around him. There are too many possibilities appearing and dissolving rapidly for them to make any sense of. We will go there...and then we will see what can be done about this. I will commit to nothing now, because the less we decide on the harder it will be for the Secondborn to track us down. I think you can agree that, for now at the least, we need to work together. A living Secondborn is a far worse threat to the entire world than the Republic ever could be.

+1

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Angela Davis is walking the halls of Andes Command Base when she feels it. Through three inches of cold, dense steel and unknown miles of hard, unyielding gray rock, it shines out to her like a candle in a dark room. She feels the familiar harmonics of the Pillar of Eternity glistening in the timestream, corrupted and warped by a pulse of something wrong, something yellow and sickly. Tuning her senses to the correct location, she can see the Secondborn, sees him the way he sees himself - as an armored, decorated conqueror, standing on the edge of a mountain, looking down upon the lands below. In his hand he holds an indescribably bright point of light, a knot of caged lightning, the scintillatingly luminous flare of a confined human soul. Streams of power gush out of its ten facets and spiral like water down a drain around the Pillar. She watches as the Secondborn closes his fist, increases the energy swirling around him by an order of magnitude, and fires a wave of scanning hyperlight throughout the entire timestream expanding like a bubble around the past, present, and future. He sweeps over the landscape and focuses in on one particular thing -  a malevolent red eye, smoldering with fire, held in the hands of-

Angela snaps back to reality. That may be a bit of an overused term, as Protinam powers do not require a trance state of any sort, but looking one way always means you’ll pay less attention to everything else. She gasps in shock for a fraction of a second, then runs down the hallway to find Merrowitz.

Celling’s just parroting information from beyond the fourth wall at this point. He doesn’t really like this, as he has no idea how accurate everything he says really is. He’s looked up to the world beyond to see what the “Sindari” universe looks like, but he hasn’t fought the Secondborn personally, so he just lets the new voice in his head say what it wants to say.

That sounds really insane now that he thinks about it.

As he gives information on why they can’t face the Secondborn alone, and proposes an alliance against a greater threat, he sees that the rebels are beginning to agree. Anna begins to relax, lowering the gun. The woman with Boonering’s son looks less tense. Jacob steps back and begins to listen.

For the record, it takes more than two shots in the back to kill General Madeline Merrowitz. She’s confined to a wheelchair, wearing a hospital gown, and dragging an IV tube, but clearly is not down for the count. Currently she’s sitting behind her desk answering papers.

Anglea runs in. “General, I just got a fix on the Pillar of Eternity - the Protinam artifact that the Secondborn stole.”

Merrowitz looks up instantly. “Excellent, Angela. So we know where he is?”

“I’d be more concerned with where he’s going,” Angela replies. “He found something in Montevideo. Something he’s interested in.”

“Montevideo?” Merrowitz asks. “That’s where Celling’s been filing requests to search for the last few weeks.”

“Where is Celling now?” Angela asks.

“Still on the base, I presume,” Merrowitz says. “No wait. He left a note somewhere - here - that he’s going to Montevideo to negotiate with the rebels. He’s taking Corporal Edward Fansworth and the fragments of the Key of Taloc core with him.”

“The Key of Taloc? What’s that?”

“A psychic weapon,” Merrowitz explains. “Looks like a glove with a glowing red gem in the center.”

“That’s what the Secondborn is looking for,” Angela realizes. “Did Celling say what he was doing with the Key?”

“The rebels claimed they had some means of reassembling it,” Merrowitz replies. “When is the Secondborn going to get there?”

“I have no idea. Depends on how long until he sets out and how fast he can move. Merrowitz, we need to get a signal there right now.”

Merrowitz pulls a telegraph from the side of the table and taps urgently on it.

Celling has just finished his speech when Fansworth’s voice comes from the radio. “Celling, come in. There’s something I have to tell you.

Celling, still with his hands above his head, glances at Anna for permission. She nods slightly. Celling grabs the radio from his pocket and clicks it on. “Fansworth?”

You’ve got incoming. Andes Command just called and your precognitive friend says the Secondborn knows you’re here. Arrival time unknown.

The plan?

A: “Alright, we need to get out of here now. Everyone, come with me.”
B: “Change of plans. We know where he’s gonna be, we can fight him. Begin attempting to reassemble the Key.”
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter III: World's Fall: Chandler's Law
« Reply #2138 on: November 05, 2018, 11:56:45 am »

FIRST SUGGESTION: Run. We almost certainly can't win this fight, at least not without Celling dying and possibly Fansworth also. Remember, the Plot *presently* probably doesn't consider us to be Heroes quite yet, so our plot armor is either nonexistent or not strong enough to defeat the Secondborn. The Heroes, or at least some of them, should survive because of the laws of narrative, then they'll come back even stronger later, etc. etc. and win against the Secondborn. Eventually. Probably after he starts taking things over, again etc. etc. There is still the chance that we'll be caught, and since I'm preparing for a running-away-in-half-a-dozen-different-vehicles plot we might lose several people, though likely only mooks, again due to the law of narrative.

"Looks like your choice happens now. Personally, I think it's time to run. How fast can you reassemble the Key, and can you do it while running for the nearest means of going faster than our legs can carry us away from certain doom?"

[back in radio:] "Fansworth, call in the plan to HQ, warn them to arm themselves and recall patrols, we're turtling up, and then leg it. Get the men out of here and secure transport ASAP. As many different options as we can get ahold of in the next five minutes. You are to exfiltrate immediately, on the first transport option, and report to Quill ASAP. The rest of your men will collect us on the second and third options and keep moving. All of us need to take different routes to return to base.

Start running.

SECOND SUGGESTION: We go all-in on the heroics and just ride the Plot to victory, by starting a Heroes Vs Evil duel *now*, inevitably (as in all the tropes and whatnot) losing now, then coming back much stronger later to claim the ultimate victory, etc. etc., much stereotyping and many congratulations on our saving the world. There *is* the distinct possibility that Celling dies. And possibly everyone else.

"Reassemble the Key. How long does it take you to do so? Fansworth, report the plan to HQ and order them to make preparations to deny all strategic assets to a hostile force, secure transport and bail out. Leave two men, and ONLY two men, behind to pick us up if necessary. They are to stay out of sight and not engage no matter what, and they are to flee if we go down. You are NOT to be one of the ones remaining here, am I understood? Make your way to Quill as fast as possible.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 05, 2018, 01:02:18 pm »

I think MM's option 1 here is the better plan. However, whichever happens, Fansworth should know about the 4th wall.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 05, 2018, 01:13:07 pm »

That's why he's been ordered straight to Quill. If either plan goes sideways we can hope that we can save him and break the fourth wall to him instead of the rebels.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 05, 2018, 01:52:57 pm »

Fair enough, and makes sense.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #2142 on: November 05, 2018, 02:07:50 pm »

FIRST SUGGESTION: Run. We almost certainly can't win this fight, at least not without Celling dying and possibly Fansworth also. Remember, the Plot *presently* probably doesn't consider us to be Heroes quite yet, so our plot armor is either nonexistent or not strong enough to defeat the Secondborn. The Heroes, or at least some of them, should survive because of the laws of narrative, then they'll come back even stronger later, etc. etc. and win against the Secondborn. Eventually. Probably after he starts taking things over, again etc. etc. There is still the chance that we'll be caught, and since I'm preparing for a running-away-in-half-a-dozen-different-vehicles plot we might lose several people, though likely only mooks, again due to the law of narrative.

"Looks like your choice happens now. Personally, I think it's time to run. How fast can you reassemble the Key, and can you do it while running for the nearest means of going faster than our legs can carry us away from certain doom?"

[back in radio:] "Fansworth, call in the plan to HQ, warn them to arm themselves and recall patrols, we're turtling up, and then leg it. Get the men out of here and secure transport ASAP. As many different options as we can get ahold of in the next five minutes. You are to exfiltrate immediately, on the first transport option, and report to Quill ASAP. The rest of your men will collect us on the second and third options and keep moving. All of us need to take different routes to return to base.

Start running.

+1. He is not already here

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 05, 2018, 03:19:48 pm »

Start running.

+1. He is not already here
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 05, 2018, 04:06:14 pm »

Start running.

“...you set us up!” shouts Jacob..

“Literally anything else makes more sense!” Celling shouts back. “Look, this proves my point. He’s on the way. How fast can you guys assemble the key?”

“Just let him touch it, it should be enough,” says the woman.

“Good,” says Celling. He turns on the radio. “Fansworth, get ready to make an exit. What do our options for a quick escape look like? Railway station or something nearby?”

There is a silence. “Celling, there are SEVEN THOUSAND PEOPLE LIVING HERE! We can’t just skip town!

“The Secondborn wants the Key, he’ll be chasing us! But he’s on foot, we need to move as fast as possible. What are our options?”

...the train station is through some of the more populated areas of town, but it’s two miles away. The coast is three. We could grab a boat there.

“Hold on a second,” says Jacob. “How do we know you’re not just tricking us into entering our custody?”

You have to say something to explain to him.

Also choose where to rush to:

A: Train station
B: Coastline
C: Split and send teams to both (Give where each of the following should go: Jacob, Anna, Boonering Junior, Celling, Fansworth, Fansworth’s men)
rseebceolnsdabroerbnlwuiflflinnogtabnedhdeorneoftokrnsoewvheorwatlohroeumraskaentdhtehkeeryeibnetlrsuwtihldletdhiicnaktyioounbaecttriavyaetdetshietm
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 203