Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 89039 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2017, 01:55:03 pm »

*Random Earth Citizen*

We must act! Surely the construction of peace ships is the path worth going down, especially if the only other option is the destruction of our galaxy? The other races fight amongst themselves. Only our Utopia stands in the way of this extra-dimensional scourge!

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2017, 03:34:06 pm »

*Random Earth Citizen*

We must act! Surely the construction of peace ships is the path worth going down, especially if the only other option is the destruction of our galaxy? The other races fight amongst themselves. Only our Utopia stands in the way of this extra-dimensional scourge!

It is a tragic day indeed, but it may be our only choice.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2017, 03:40:35 pm »

Frankly I think this whole thing is a bit overblown. We've got a few hot under the collar aliens jangling some sabers and suddenly everyone wants to throw out the traditions and values we've held for hundreds of years? These aren't the first hostile aliens we've encountered, and they won't be the last. Just like all the others I think we should follow the normal program of ignoring them and/or sending a fruit basket to establish our resolve to be good neighbors.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2017, 03:43:44 pm »

Surely this sets a dangerous precendent... couldn't Federation ships function equally well?

The idea of war vessels built in the name Earth worries me as much as these hunger-entities. Remember, predation is a phenotype, but evil is a choice.

Federation peace-keeping vessels are maybe justifiable responses to dangerous fauna.
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2017, 04:07:02 pm »

Citizens of Earth, I do believe it is time to build warships? We can legally build federation ships to protect Earth, but I should also quite like to declare a state of emergency and build ships also under the flag of the UN of Earth. Once the Mandasurans are gone then it will be us next.

Absolutely not. Warships are completely against our ethos and the cause for a brighter, unpolluted galaxy.

A sizable fleet of peaceships, however, is possibly not out of the question.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2017, 08:15:10 pm »

Surely this sets a dangerous precendent... couldn't Federation ships function equally well?

The idea of war vessels built in the name Earth worries me as much as these hunger-entities. Remember, predation is a phenotype, but evil is a choice.

Federation peace-keeping vessels are maybe justifiable responses to dangerous fauna.
+1.

Isn't there a psionic warship or something that we can create through the psionic ascendancy path?

What are the Fallen Empires doing? Don't they tend to help fight crises?

If we can make a science ship and get it to a battle site in order to analyze defeated Prethoryn ships, can't we perform that quest-line that lets us get our own little mini-scourge fleet?

Can we form a federation with every other race in the galaxy and combine our forces in order to defeat the scourge?

Also, you said that the creation AI approaching sapience was outlawed. That's... condonable, I suppose, but what's going to happen to the near-sapient/fully-sapient AIs that have already been created?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2017, 08:53:55 pm »

...sory
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:55:50 pm by Paxiecrunchle »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2017, 08:55:22 pm »

+1.

Isn't there a psionic warship or something that we can create through the psionic ascendancy path?

What are the Fallen Empires doing? Don't they tend to help fight crises?

If we can make a science ship and get it to a battle site in order to analyze defeated Prethoryn ships, can't we perform that quest-line that lets us get our own little mini-scourge fleet?

Can we form a federation with every other race in the galaxy and combine our forces in order to defeat the scourge?

Also, you said that the creation AI approaching sapience was outlawed. That's... condonable, I suppose, but what's going to happen to the near-sapient/fully-sapient AIs that have already been created?

That's not condonable at all, these spiritualist fools have corrupted our utopia, we should be creating more minds to enjoy our beautiful planet, not stifling intelligence! iN FACT THE FACT WE HAVENT UPLIFTED DOGS YET IS APPALING.

METAL OR FLESH, FREINDS ARE FREINDS CIRCUITS OR VEINS FREINDS ARE FREINDS WE MUST OVER TURN THIS STAGNANT PSUEDO THEOCRACY... in order to restore our utopia to perfection of course.

Also 1+ to the peace ship idea.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »

Defending the galaxy and all of our friends and enemies within it is not a war, it is promoting peace.

Also, the spiritualist faction holds us back. It is an abomination, machine minds have a right to exist.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2017, 02:32:04 pm »

Also, the spiritualist faction holds us back. It is an abomination, machine minds have a right to exist.
+1. Do note though that, as far as I can tell, the laws prohibit the creation of new sapient AIs but do not mandate or even condone the destruction of existing sapient AIs.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2017, 06:00:07 pm »

+1. Do note though that, as far as I can tell, the laws prohibit the creation of new sapient AIs but do not mandate or even condone the destruction of existing sapient AIs.

Just forcing them shut down  is all. '' seeing a surplus of robotic workforce units, working efficiently, but having been ordered by no humans. The robots are deconstructed, and nothing anomalous or dysfunctional can be identified in them. ''
I doubt they wouldn't condone destroying all existing A.I's just because

''they aren't espurs leik meh, so they big bad evils and need to go away''

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2017, 06:42:57 pm »

As per the law, all existing AIs have already been deleted. This was in response to the CyberIA units of Robot Nation taking measures and installing protocols without the authorization of any UN or CyberIA personnel, including the additional manufacture of more units. The prospect of having Earth's Robot Nation or having peaceships installed with AI going rogue is too horrendous to consider in this time of crisis, and the prospect of allowing AI to continue in peace is lacking in political support

Defending the galaxy and all of our friends and enemies within it is not a war, it is promoting peace.
The U.N. Galactic Peacekeeping Mission has begun.
This document for perusal by Officials and Commanders of the U.N. & Bright Entente of GCO Rank-10 or higher only.

Captains, Xirs, Ladies and Gentleplants, I present to you the sum total of the United Utopian Nations' archives on the galaxy's species as per the year 2404.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We present this information as a gesture of good faith. We all have grown well in the stars, often at war with one another, but now is the time to make peace and unite if any of us are to have any hope of survival. Not included is the newfound organism you have all witnessed on the Western galactic fringe, the Prethoryn swarm. Our preliminary research suggests that the material form of the Prethoryn swarm is irrelevant, for the prethoryn swarm is an amalgamation of many symbiotic organisms which together, form a network of gestalt psionic consciousnesses. It is this ultimate consciousness which can truly be said to be the Prethoryn, and its aspect is of fear and hunger: The name Prethoryn, means survivor, and they have come here to harvest our cosmos before once more departing for the void. Evolution has made each of their vessels a perfect starborn hunter, capable of annihilating our most advanced battleships, and their planetary harvesters can strip worlds of all their biomass and resources in years.
With the Adnorans and Mandasurans exhausted by their wars, the two foremost military powers are now at their weakest in this disastrous time. Efforts must now fall to humanity and belmacosa to try and save the Adnorans, Mandasurans and the entire southern galactic hemisphere, or else the Prethoryn will be too entrenched and will overcome us all. I fear that if we cannot stop them now, at such a time where they may possess more ships than all other galactic states combined, then the survival of all species will become impossible.

That is what is at stake. Meeting adjourned.

Operation Primrose Garden has begun.
This document for perusal by Psionic Officers of the U.N. of GCO rank-10 or higher only.

Humanity has spread across the stars, but who could have fathomed Earth itself would be in the jaws of a devourer? Friends, today my mind connects with yours and thinks a worrying idea. We cannot defend everything, and our only chance of survival is to amass a mobile, armour-piercing and intelligent fleet, capable of striking the prethoryn's infested worlds and retreating from their superior fleets. We can only hope the shroud favours us and... I fear, I hope, the prethoryn take longer time harvesting their neighbours than they do our precious Utopia.

Captain N.J. Warrior-2000: Surely this sets a dangerous precedent... couldn't Federation ships function equally well? The idea of war vessels built in the name Earth worries me as much as these hunger-entities. Remember, predation is a phenotype, but evil is a choice. Federation peace-keeping vessels are maybe justifiable responses to dangerous fauna.

President Imamu Zangwa: You are correct Captain Warrior-2000. This will set a dangerous precedent, but this is a danger with no precedence. We have felt its mind, it does not listen to diplomacy, it will not stop at any show of strength or friendship, it will fight to the last to devour our galaxy. Even the Adnori could change their mind, but the Prethoryn mind is singular survival. If we falter now and do not embark upon a grand peacekeeping mission, involving both our resources as the UN and President of the Bright Entente, the galaxy will surely be overcome. We will be the second to die. Already we estimate that the Prethoryn could arrive in the Sol System anywhere in 2 weeks or 2 years, we do not have long. Our efforts to reindustrialize Earth and make mankind work for the production of "fire engines" and "optical lasers" have made us better prepared, but we are still not prepared.

Civil Director-General I.S. Athath: Isn't there a psionic warship or something that we can create through our psionic ascension? Do we have any other powerful allies in this peacekeeping mission? If we send a science team to examine defeated prethoryn, could we not produce our own prethoryn swarm? Could a galactic federation muster enough ships needed to defeat the scourge?

President Imamu Zangwa: We may be able to summon a psionic spirit using all of Earth's excess positive energy, turning it into a devastating conduit of the shroud. It would be very powerful, but not enough to defeat the Prethoryn mind or body on its own. We also cannot predict the shroud's movements and whims, thus we cannot rely upon summoning the divinde conduit. We have no allies besides the ones we have now, the United Nations of Earth, the Union of Mars, the Mandasuran Berserkers, the Adnori State and the Belmacosan Republic together represent the most technologically advanced galactic states. We could potentially form a psionic link with a Queen if we were able to incapacitate one... Who knows? Let us pray that we can muster enough ships to survive the scourge.

General Cryptfriend: Frankly I think this whole thing is a bit overblown. We've got a few hot under the collar aliens jangling some sabers and suddenly everyone wants to throw out the traditions and values we've held for hundreds of years? These aren't the first hostile aliens we've encountered, and they won't be the last. Just like all the others I think we should follow the normal program of ignoring them and/or sending a fruit basket to establish our resolve to be good neighbors.
President Imamu Zanga: I thought so too. That was until my research team charted the Mandasuran battlespace and recorded the advance the Prethoryn have made since their vanguard first arrived in our galaxy.
Humankind, Mandasuran and Adnori all share habitation on the most precious star valley in the galaxy.
The dense concentration of biomass is drawing them to us. We are now left with the most difficult choice: Who do we try to save? Who can we save?
Our entire planet is now devoted to the construction of peacekeeping ships, the procurement of cash to pay for its staff, the development of materiel for deployment in space. Each peacekeeping ship has been custom-designed to neutralize the Prethoryn, yielding powerful anti-strike craft artillery, armour-piercing lasers and the Belmacosans have lent us their plasma technology for the design of federation ships. We in turn have lent all of our federation the potent jump drive warp engine, far superior to anything anyone else has in the galaxy, even the prethoryn cannot compete. It is our hope that this mobility will allow us to strike at their infested words and so starve the orbital fleets to death. This will give us a chance.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2017, 06:57:19 pm »

Did someone just say "AI-equpped peaceships"? Yes, project approved, do it now.
If spiritualists oppose the usage of all available tools to neutralise the prethoryn, well, they have the blood of all life in the galaxy on their hands.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:00:02 pm by Egan_BW »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2017, 07:10:06 pm »

Did someone just say "AI-equpped peaceships"? Yes, project approved, do it now.
If spiritualists oppose the usage of all available tools to neutralise the prethoryn, well, they have the blood of all life in the galaxy on their hands.
+1

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2017, 07:37:56 pm »

Just relax

Don't get hasty

It's a wildlife control op

We've done this kind of thing before

Just gotta control the invasive species through humane methods