Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mighty Fists: An Arms Race Test(8/8!): Turn 2: Fists of Fury!  (Read 4502 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Mighty Fists: An Arms Race Test(8/8!): Turn 2: Fists of Fury!
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:41:38 am »

In order to run the upcoming game Fists Race, I need to test the combat system. That's where you come in. I'll take 8 people and then throw them at each other in tournament format.

Here's how things are going to go.

Spoiler: Da Rules (click to show/hide)

To join, just read the rules(or skim them) and post IN with your stat distribution. You get 4 points, each point translating to +1 in a stat(Strength or Dexterity).

I am completely open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:05:50 am by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty Fists: An Arms Race Test(0/8)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:45:28 pm »

IN.

2 Strength
2 Dexterity
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:22:18 pm »

I'd be willing to help test this system. It doesn't seem to account for ranged attacks, attacks where the defender has no chance to block or dodge (such as surprise attacks), or simultaneous or temporally close attacks (pretty much two on one conflicts). The last one there isn't avoided by having one-on-one fights, as delayed ranged attacks and physical situations (such as from midair, hitting an enemy down as he collides with the ground) can still synchronize attacks. For ranged attacks, I say that ranged attacks are weaker in some regards, while their main benefit is avoiding counterattacks from failed attacks (your opponent is at a distance, and they can't reach you (unless they designed some sort of rubber-rubber fruit)). For the lack of block or dodge, I'd say that they automatically have some small limit to their roll based on their condition; healthy, sorta armored enemies could be forced to 5 max, while the especially prone are auto-1. On the topic of my example, reaction time may play a role in unforeseen attacks, and could be part of the roll limit; essentially, if they are not prepared for the attack well enough beforehand, they get the roll limit. This could add a mental layer to strategizing and design. Anyway, third point, sorta covered by the second solution. The defender would have to split their focus/effort(/preparedness) between the attacks, whether they could choose how it's split or not. With enough reflexes, it could be logical for a defender to be able to block each of two attacks with their full force..provided they block the first one well enough.

But you want playtesters, don't you? 3 strength, 1 Dexterity.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:28:31 pm »

IN!

Reading OP...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:02 pm »

Stats: 4 DEX

"In the event of a Critical Hit, the attacker gains a bonus to their damage roll equal to how much their attack roll was higher than the defender's roll + 5."
What if the attacker rolls a 10 (thus getting a critical hit) and the defender rolls, say, a 7? Does the attacker get a -2 penalty to his damage roll?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:17:40 pm »

Stats: 4 DEX

"In the event of a Critical Hit, the attacker gains a bonus to their damage roll equal to how much their attack roll was higher than the defender's roll + 5."
What if the attacker rolls a 10 (thus getting a critical hit) and the defender rolls, say, a 7? Does the attacker get a -2 penalty to his damage roll?
The equation is more like "(Bonus Damage)=(Attacker Roll - Defender Roll) + 5". You seem to be seeing it more like "Attacker Roll - (Defender Roll + 5)", which actually subtracts the 5 from damage rather than adding it. However, if the attacker rolled a 10, the defender rolled a 9, the defender had a bonus of 7 to their roll, and the attacker had none, the technical bonus damage would be -1, though the 10 in this case allowed the attacker to be successful, allowing the damage rather than adding to it. Looking closer, this case is both a critical hit (by Attacker Roll = 10) and critical miss (by Defender Roll +5 < Attacker Roll). I would rule this as a Critical Showdown, since both sides crit in a way.

FoU, I would redefine the roll classifications as such:
(Roll is number on die, Value is roll +/- modifiers)
-Standard Outcomes

Attacker > Defender: Hit.
Attacker < Defender: Miss.
Attacker = Defender: Miss.
-Critical Outcomes
Attacker Value > Defender Value + 5, or Attacker Roll= 10: Critical Attack.
Attacker Value+ 5 < Defender Value, or Defender Roll= 10: Critical Defense (can be further classified as Critical Block or Dodge).
Critical Attack & Critical Defense: Critical Showdown.
Attacker Roll= 10, Defender Roll= 1: Uber Critical Hit.
Attacker Roll= 1, Defender Roll= 10: Uber Critical Miss.
Both Rolls=1, or Roll of 1 is Critical Success: Mutual Critical Failure.
This specifies where the modifiers have effect, and the Showdown/Mutual Failure outcomes now cover other forms of double critical success/fail. Then again, it is sorta more confusing, so your version is more in line to teaching the mechanics.

Also, I just realized; What happens if two "Mighty Fists", for lack of a particular name, attack each other, neither blocking? Does the one with more power or such dominate the conflict, carrying the rolls into hit and damage calculation as the attacker?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:07:17 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:19:49 pm »

IN
Scyther:
Att:
 0 Strength
 4 Dexterity
Mov:
Double Team
Swords Dance
Quick Attack
Fury Cutter
Spe:
 Swords for hands.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 09:28:41 pm »

You need an idiot to test this.

Someone who has very little practical knowledge about what unarmed combat looks like.

Someone who is typing this out late at night, and who is, after reading through the rules twice today, unsure about the extent of his comprehension of them.

Someone who can find every single flaw in your design by accident, flail like an idiot and maybe even win by accident.

Someone capable of asking every question you didn't expect to hear, and forcing you to answer, forcing you to discover things about your game you wish you didn't have to figure out.

Someone so incessantly bad that the system can't help but get better just to make that person fail.

When do you want the first design?

Strength: 1
Dexterity: 3
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 10:54:34 pm »

Well, right now he wants to test the combat system. This doesn't directly involve the designs and edits, but having a few of the starting Techniques to choose from could help out.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »

Interested.

4 Str
0 Dex
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty Fists: An Arms Race Test(6?/8)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 09:59:39 am »

Just need two(if I counted right) players more.

Responses to questions will have to wait for a bit.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 12:43:38 pm »

I'd be willing to help test this system.
It doesn't seem to account for ranged attacks,
attacks where the defender has no chance to block or dodge (such as surprise attacks),
or simultaneous or temporally close attacks (pretty much two on one conflicts).
Hm. Ranged attacks would act like normal, except depending on the attack, dodging or blocking or both wouldn't be an option, and counterattacking wouldn't be an option unless the attacked player had a cheap ranged ability.
Surprise attacks would require a stealth roll from the attacker and a perception roll from the defender. If the attacker wins, the defender cannot Dodge or Block, furthermore, they should get some sort of dodging penalty.
If attacked twice at once, the attacked only gets one roll to dodge and one roll to block.
All subject to change.

(Roll is number on die, Value is roll +/- modifiers)
-Standard Outcomes

Attacker > Defender: Hit.
Attacker < Defender: Miss.
Attacker = Defender: Miss.
-Critical Outcomes
Attacker Value > Defender Value + 5, or Attacker Roll= 10: Critical Attack.
Attacker Value+ 5 < Defender Value, or Defender Roll= 10: Critical Defense (can be further classified as Critical Block or Dodge).
Critical Attack & Critical Defense: Critical Showdown.
Attacker Roll= 10, Defender Roll= 1: Uber Critical Hit.
Attacker Roll= 1, Defender Roll= 10: Uber Critical Miss.
Both Rolls=1, or Roll of 1 is Critical Success: Mutual Critical Failure.
I like your version better. Editing.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 01:08:27 pm »

One more question that you seem to have missed.
Also, I just realized; What happens if two "Mighty Fists", for lack of a particular name, attack each other, neither blocking? Does the one with more power or such dominate the conflict, carrying the rolls into hit and damage calculation as the attacker?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 01:59:38 pm »

If they attack each other at the exact same time, neither bothering to dodge or block, not even lowercase dodging or blocking as opposed to Dodging or Blocking?

Yeah, in the extremely unlikely event that that happens, dodging isn't rolled, and instead a pure damage occurs, with whoever has the higher roll inflicting the damage.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »

in.
3 dex, 1 str.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5