Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Space games like DF or roguelikes  (Read 3220 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
Space games like DF or roguelikes
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:23:12 am »

I am looking for a space game basically, either something similar to DF (yet larger in scale than RimWorld, I don't like managing several colonists, I would prefer something around two or three dozens) or something like a roguelike if what I want is impossible to get.

By similar to DF I mean a game that is centered around building a space mine/colony, fighting off all kinds of wildlife, trading with others etc. Is there anything like that available?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space games like DF or roguelikes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:45:50 am »

Startopia could fit your bill maybe? At the very least, it's a great game.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:52:05 am »

Still love it, but I have something different in mind - with mining and advanced industry, sort of like factorio perhaps, but with colony-building and mining like in DF.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:00:24 am »

Unfortunately the only games I know are abandoned ones - Spacebase DF-9 and reverse-X-com-game whose name I've forgotten. The first is officially "finished", but practically Double Fine just took the money from Early Access, declared the game finished and ran. It was developing nicely, but I do not recommend spending money on it. The-reverse-X-Com-game had you build a base as aliens while being occasionally attacked by humans, but the developer has since gone missing.

There was, however, a thread on these forums about a new game being developed in these veins. Outer Colony or something like that, maybe you should check out that thread. Plus maybe you'd like Planetbase? It is about colonizing Mars and lacks some of the features you require, but take a look.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 06:18:09 am »

Still love it, but I have something different in mind - with mining and advanced industry, sort of like factorio perhaps, but with colony-building and mining like in DF.

Although it's probably not what you're looking for, Space Colony might be able to scratch that itch. It's probably still too focussed on managing colonists, but you might be interested in this game.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:58:05 am »

I am looking for a space game basically, either something similar to DF (yet larger in scale than RimWorld, I don't like managing several colonists, I would prefer something around two or three dozens) or something like a roguelike if what I want is impossible to get.

By similar to DF I mean a game that is centered around building a space mine/colony, fighting off all kinds of wildlife, trading with others etc. Is there anything like that available?
Try Starbound. Think Minecraft or Terraria, only in space, where you first start out with a damaged ship in orbit of a procedurally generated planet, and after beaming down to said planet to gather the resources needed to repair your ship, you get to travel a functionally infinite galaxy full of stars that each have a number of planets, moons, and asteroids surrounding them that you can land on. You can build a house or base on each of these, attract colonists to live with you and pay you rent, and invite other players into your game to explore your world. Go on missions to uncover more of the storyline and unlock additional crafting options, and dig down to the magma-filled core of each planet in your search for diamonds!

EDIT: I just re-downloaded and tried the game again. They've added a surprising wealth of new features, including the ability to customize and pilot your own mech so you can attack other ships and space stations in zero-G environments. And also it lets you build your own space station in the void as well once you buy a Station Transponder.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:08:11 pm by Xvareon »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »

I think calling Starbound a DF roguelike is stretching the term to breaking. DF is a simulator. Terraria/Starbound are 2d exploration/mining games with some RPG elements.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bizzledorf

• Bay Watcher
  • notorious f.e.g.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 01:23:05 pm »

If violent ayy lmaos count as wildlife then I'd like to suggest Aurora 4x.  I'm still personally trying to learn how to play it but it seems to fit the bill of "Dwarf Fortress in space."  You don't have to micromanage much because instead of microing several colonists you only really need to deal with a few leaders (and even those can be automated.)

e: also for the love of god use the AIO Installer.  This will spare you a lot of headache later.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:40:16 pm by Bizzledorf »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 08:10:45 am »

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.