Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on attacks  (Read 1088 times)

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question on attacks
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:39 pm »

If a creature were to be able to use its BODY/LOWERBODY/or UPPERBODY in the form of a strike attack, and it's about say the size of an elephant. Would it be surprising if said natural attack happens to be very deadly? Because generally, big things hitting with their fists and feet hurt like hell even when deflected..so...what if those big things use their entire body to well...body slam something?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Question on attacks
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 02:45:03 am »

Best way to determine this is to test it, but if I recall (and it's been a while, so I may be mis-remembering), that's true, yes!

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »

Best way to determine this is to test it, but if I recall (and it's been a while, so I may be mis-remembering), that's true, yes!

Yeah, I just noted, when the thing is a giant blob with only an upper/lower body (Yes, I put the GRASP tag on it, yes, it will use weapons and shields..no armor though). Body slamming is very, very deadly...I did some tests after giving them arms and removing the tag from the bodies...and the fights went on for much longer. The more you know.

I don't know if I really wanna keep the body slamming though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:07:04 pm »

I had a creature that was like the T-1000.

I gave it the ability to grasp with all it's body parts and extrude sharp tendrils from anywhere etc. I forgot to fix it's punch move accordingly, and it would do things like walk up and multiattack-punch a creature simultaneously with every part of its body at once and insta-pulp it.

Unintentional, but amusing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 06:16:22 pm »

Mental image-wise, that sounds like it's just completely engulfing something and squeezing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 06:23:59 pm »

You'd think, but they were actual punch attacks. It would "Punch something with it's upper arm+lower arm+head+left foot"

Because ykno, the vanilla punch just looks for [grasp] and rolls with it.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 06:30:29 pm »

I had a creature that was like the T-1000.

I gave it the ability to grasp with all it's body parts and extrude sharp tendrils from anywhere etc. I forgot to fix it's punch move accordingly, and it would do things like walk up and multiattack-punch a creature simultaneously with every part of its body at once and insta-pulp it.

Unintentional, but amusing.

The sharp tendrils being like putting horns all over the body for goring?

Also, in my case, my giant blobs just blow up stuff they body slam with. Though fluff-wise I decided to not keep the striking because I can really imagine a giant blob accurately bodyslamming a human's head alone and goring it...but I can see them nomming a head off.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 06:40:22 pm »

Nah, it had various attacks that were edged in nature. One has an edge to simulate it making a blade of some kind and slashing with it, the other was more of a penetrating attack that could latch, simulating an impale-with-blade kind of attack.

It could also wrestle with any part of it's body, simulating the ability to extrude a tendril/tentacle and grapple with it.

I could never figure out how to make it entirely of liquid and also not break apart at the slightest touch, though. I had to give it a solid outer shell that was named as a liquid for flavor to give it any kind of durability.

It could also self-transform into itself to heal damage (like it was reforming it's body).

TLDR
- Anyway to keep from being a complete derail, no you can totally have things hit with an upper body or the like and do horrific damage, I just messed with the attack stats like velocity and penetration and the like for various simulated effects

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 06:52:07 pm »

Nah, it had various attacks that were edged in nature. One has an edge to simulate it making a blade of some kind and slashing with it, the other was more of a penetrating attack that could latch, simulating an impale-with-blade kind of attack.

It could also wrestle with any part of it's body, simulating the ability to extrude a tendril/tentacle and grapple with it.

I could never figure out how to make it entirely of liquid and also not break apart at the slightest touch, though. I had to give it a solid outer shell that was named as a liquid for flavor to give it any kind of durability.

It could also self-transform into itself to heal damage (like it was reforming it's body).

TLDR
- Anyway to keep from being a complete derail, no you can totally have things hit with an upper body or the like and do horrific damage, I just messed with the attack stats like velocity and penetration and the like for various simulated effects

This is for a playable fortress race, but...I might put back on the body slam for fun alongside the nomming bite.

As for one more offtopic question for ya...transforming into itself to heal? Mind explaining that to me

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 08:20:05 pm »

You know how werecreatures transform from a dwarf into a were(x)? It's exactly the same mechanic, only instead of the game calling the were(x) template for transformation, it instead calls the species template of the same creature.

When a creature undergoes such a transformation, part of the effect is to heal (all? most? I think it regrows limbs, but I don't know about brain damage either way) damage it's sustained.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »

You know how'd you go about doing that? I would like to know how to do something like that since I've kinda left appendages off my blobs since I can't really do the whole regeneration effect properly, so I'd appreciate it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 08:58:53 pm »

I have no idea, tbh. Hopefully Dunamisdeos can point you in the direction.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 01:29:35 pm »

I couldn't find any documentation on the process so I just sort of winged it. I'm sure it's not the most efficient way to do it. I p-much just took the werecreature transformation and made it trigger on use of an ability instead of by moon phase.

But yes, it transforms the creature into a copy of itself, thereby healing all wounds. I had it transform into a different identical caste. do not think it will cure syndromes.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 02:29:32 pm »

I couldn't find any documentation on the process so I just sort of winged it. I'm sure it's not the most efficient way to do it. I p-much just took the werecreature transformation and made it trigger on use of an ability instead of by moon phase.

But yes, it transforms the creature into a copy of itself, thereby healing all wounds. I had it transform into a different identical caste. do not think it will cure syndromes.

How did you set it onto an ability?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 02:36:29 pm »

How did you set it onto an ability?

You can create an interaction that targets SELF. Here's the wiki page on the subject. it's the same system that allows things like Dragon Breath or magma crabs shooting rocks, but you can make it just slap a syndrome on yourself (in this case, the transformation).

This one will help you learn about creating the effect itself.

It's a really flexible system.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:38:11 pm by Dunamisdeos »