Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159919 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #750 on: July 25, 2017, 02:13:21 pm »

Tentative movement strategy?:
New skiffs reinforce the defensive line at Three Captains (...I don't think we're getting any new skiffs ready in time for this turn though)

WOSV Jigsaw (AKA the transport at Three Captains) fall back to Wreth and repair (-3 wood, -1 Ore)

WOSV Implacable Evacuate marines at The Unfinished, then fall back to Wreth (I would rather them focus on getting off intact, to preserve the gear they have, rather than needlessly risk their lives for cutlasses (Yes it costs ore, they're still cheap) and a handful of pincushions (Do we even care about wood?))

WOSV Herbie moves to Haze-Maze and drops off their last marine squad

Now, if they (Kasgyr) attack our forces at Three Captains again, it will be another evenly matched engagement, which our forces have proven able to give as much as they take, at minimum. My concern here is Kasgyr using this turn to restructure their fleet to force their way through our blockade next turn, and Three Captains is the logical place to do that due to only having 3 skiffs to the 4 at the Unfinished.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 25, 2017, 02:16:43 pm »

Well, it WAS special.

Jilla, we have 2 new skiffs available. So yes, send them to the Three Captains.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 25, 2017, 02:20:01 pm »

Tentative movement strategy?:
New skiffs reinforce the defensive line at Three Captains (...I don't think we're getting any new skiffs ready in time for this turn though)

WOSV Jigsaw (AKA the transport at Three Captains) fall back to Wreth and repair (-3 wood, -1 Ore)

WOSV Implacable Evacuate marines at The Unfinished, then fall back to Wreth (I would rather them focus on getting off intact, to preserve the gear they have, rather than needlessly risk their lives for cutlasses (Yes it costs ore, they're still cheap) and a handful of pincushions (Do we even care about wood?))

WOSV Herbie moves to Haze-Maze and drops off their last marine squad
I agree with this plan. Let's call it Plan A, and vote for entire plans, rather than voting for each individual piece, since that makes the votebox a nightmare.

Quote from: Votes
Plan A: (2) Jilladilla, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 25, 2017, 02:22:19 pm »

Plan A: (3) Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Milo

I don't think it is missing anything?

Voting for plans is a *little* different from voting for revisions, so consolidated is the way to go.

We will certainly want to reinvade the Unfinished ASAP though... Just as soon as we can get better equipment around.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 25, 2017, 02:27:13 pm »

Plan A only encompasses movement though... But at the same time, can anyone come up with a different movement plan? (Only viable ones I can  think of involve rerouting some of the skiffs at the Unfinished towards Three Captains)

Still, if everyone is good with that, we have 12c, 7o, 21w, 23s for new gear/boats or whatever.

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 25, 2017, 02:27:55 pm »

Well, I'd like to put forward a plan "B".
Functionally, almost the exact same as "A", but with the alteration that all available skiffs and "Jigsaw" with its cargo will move across the belt to reinforce the Captains.
It'll likely take two turns, but it means we can get some light recon on the belt and the spires there; and also this way we have one turn to pickup and move, and the second turn to move and drop-off.

More of a devil's advocate plan than a serious one.

Quote from: Earlier Nightmare votebox
The Unfinished 4 skiffs, 1 Damaged transport
Retreat: (2) NUKE9.13, Tack
No Retreat:
All available skiffs to Three Captains (1) Tack
All available skiffs returning home:
The Three Captains 3 skiffs, 1 Damaged Transport
Evacuate transport, leave troops: (1) Tack
Skiffs stay holding: (1) Tack
Spire Wreth 2 Skiffs, 2t Marines
All Available Skiffs to Three Captains (1) Tack

This Depends On What We Revise And We Can't Decide At All Yet: (1) Madman

Plan A: (3) Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Milo
Plan B: (1) Tack
Edit: Voted for my thought experiment plan per the new rule
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:31:44 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 25, 2017, 02:29:40 pm »

I would like to add a new rule: If you don't vote for your own idea, don't submit it!
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 25, 2017, 02:30:56 pm »

We need to keep Kasgyre off the Belt Spires as much as possible.

Should we actually have the Unfinished transport move the marines to one of the other belt spires? Burned Mountain would help us a LOT.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 25, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »

Burned mountain is
Apparently
Very, very hot.

Wrackspire could be our most "safe" spire, but that also looks horrifyingly deadly. We'd probably need HEV and grapnels at the least

Also, not sure if this is a meta inference to make, but it's likely that the Kasgyrians will be shifting marines from the demispires to the belt this turn.
The only question is: all in one place or 50/50 again?
Unless they have new tech to make them feel superior, I'd guess all at one.
So the only question is:

Draig, are we allowed to know where the retreated skiffs from the first battle of the belt went/where we would have gone had we lost?
We could be at an air disadvantage with no upside if all of their skiffs turned up home again for free.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:38:46 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 25, 2017, 02:40:36 pm »

I'm against abandoning The Unifinished's airzone this turn, since that sends a clear message of what we're doing, before they even send out their transports.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 25, 2017, 02:41:54 pm »

Which is why the skyskiffs stay there in plan A

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 25, 2017, 02:47:05 pm »

Well, I'd like to put forward a plan "B".
Functionally, almost the exact same as "A", but with the alteration that all available skiffs and "Jigsaw" with its cargo will move across the belt to reinforce the Captains.
It'll likely take two turns, but it means we can get some light recon on the belt and the spires there; and also this way we have one turn to pickup and move, and the second turn to move and drop-off.

More of a devil's advocate plan than a serious one.

Tack, Jigsaw is at Three Captains right now. Implacable is the one at the Unfinished. And it's a 2 turn transit whether we return to Wreth first or just sprint across the belt. It's just being at Wreth will give Implacable a few more potential options than just simply go and unload at Three Captains (Like potentially loading another marine squad to replace losses, Draignean did say that loading un-engaged marines is effectively a free action after all, as long as it doesn't interrupt movement anyway.)

Milo, No. Don't, he's trying to get our creative juices flowing. We are NOT shooting down proposals before they even get to the point where they can be called proposals!

(Also Burned Mountain seems to basically be a volcano? With magic and Giant Monster Spiders and whatever the heck that was at the Unfinished..... We need a way to grant at least some resistance to extreme heat to our guys, not to mention gauntlets and the PLACE will likely be much less useful due to ambient heat making the cooling systems less effective...)

....Did I say I type slow? I type slow. This started after Tack's Plan B Proposal. It just finished.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 25, 2017, 02:48:02 pm »

Still, if everyone is good with that, we have 12c, 7o, 21w, 23s for new gear/boats or whatever.
Again, I'm fairly certain that infantry equipment is 'built' instantaneously. We don't need to build it this turn, and we don't want to build another ship. So as far as I'm concerned, there's no construction to be done this turn.

Draignean, can you confirm that infantry equipment is 'built' instantaneously?
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 25, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »

I'm personally fine with telegraphing our moves if it means we'll be at an advantage when we fight.
If they attack the unfinished in force, we'll have dodged a bullet
If they attack the Captains in force, we'll have a matched battle
If they attack both, we'll have shown our hand, and also destroyed half of their fleet.

Of course it's likely they've done something more devious like make a recon tactic (which hopefully our vigils will catch) or are actually gliding across the calm (which hopefully crossing the belt with a fleet will catch)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 25, 2017, 02:50:46 pm »

I just don't want it to get like Wands Race, where there are guys shotgunning proposals that no one ever intends to vote on just because they feel like it or something.

Do we need to load the transport going to the Three Captains this turn, or can it load and unload next turn?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 187