Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159576 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »

Here's the thing:

The principle issue with the accuracy of a bow of ANY sort is that holding the string requires muscle force. Anything that requires active forces action on it increases instability. Right NOW, our soldiers can't aim because the lever action requires them to hold the bow in a certain way for extended periods of time to aim. The entire point of a CROSSBOW rather than a longbow or other bow is to ELIMINATE the string-holding action by giving the user a trigger system that holds the cable.

I feel like I rambled a bit. To clarify:

Crossbows make it easier to aim by hold the string FOR YOU. Otherwise you have to be actively holding the string back yourself, which is hard to do while aiming. Improving the lever is USELESS, as we can't gain more power and accuracy like that. Introduce a trigger mechanism and stiffen the bow, and we've got a probably-functional combat weapon.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2017, 01:51:44 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Crossbow Ideas:
Convert it to a single shot version with greater range/power: (1) NUKE9.13
Improve Efficacy and reduce bugs, keep as a short-range repeater. (1) Tack
Better Lever: (1) Milo
Crystal Ideas:
Crystal Production Refinement:
Save the Die:

So, Tack, are you voting for my summary of changes? If so, I'll make a real design proposal for it. If not, I'll make one anyway, because I'm going to be voting for it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2017, 01:52:13 pm »

Dude. It has a trigger mechanism, the lever trips it automatically when it is pulled back far enough. That's the point of single fire mode, you pull the pin that engages the trigger trip and it no longer auto-fires when cocked.

That was specifically mentioned in the design.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2017, 01:54:30 pm »

OK, I stand (Not really) corrected.

The point is that your idea won't do anything to help it unless it fixes the fundamental flaw of making a crossbow into a regular bow with a more awkward firing position.

The trigger system MUST be independent of the lever. The lever pulls the string back until it's locked in place by some simple mechanism, and then the trigger releases said mechanism when the bow is on target. The lever and magazine speed up reloading (Leverage decreases strength necessary to pull back the string, magazine means you don't have to grab a bolt and place it on the track) but will not be necessary.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2017, 01:56:39 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Crossbow Ideas:
Convert it to a single shot version with greater range/power: (2) NUKE9.13, Tack
Improve Efficacy and reduce bugs, keep as a short-range repeater.
Better Lever: (1) Milo
Crystal Ideas:
Crystal Production Refinement:
Save the Die:
So, Tack, are you voting for my summary of changes? If so, I'll make a real design proposal for it. If not, I'll make one anyway, because I'm going to be voting for it.
Yeah, I was voting for yours, but after revisiting price I've decided to change it.
Mk1.1 "Decimator" Arbalest is go!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »

The point of the trigger trip is to free up the hand that would otherwise be required to pull the trigger. One hand to brace the weapon, one to work the lever. Requiring​ the operator to trip the trigger each shot will significantly reduce fire rate.

A single shot version is throwing away it's greatest strength.

A stronger single shot version is simply a normal version with a stronger bow and the trip pin pulled. Do you think we can buff lever and bow in one revision?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:04:00 pm by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 16, 2017, 02:03:36 pm »

So yeah, I say we should just make a heavy support aether weapon if we're going to go suppression, and do that later.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 16, 2017, 02:06:17 pm »

Price?

Uh, Milo... during aim time, the soldier reaches under the crossbow, using both hands to improve stability and accuracy, before pulling the trigger when the crossbow is on target. He then rapidly works the lever system, firing the weapon.

Honestly, this is ridiculous. I'll look at NUKE's proposal again. Every single disadvantage of a repeating crossbow that I pointed out has surfaced, and we need to do something about it. Maybe making single-shot crossbows is the way to go about it.

Alternatively:
Ripper Repeating Crossbow
By placing a trigger system (Probably a simple, small lever) underneath the body of the crossbow, and making the triggering system hold the shot in place rather than firing it instantly, we can improve the accuracy of our crossbows beyond all recognition. An application of some bronze stiffeners to the back of the bow allows for improved raw power. The magazine is removed, the soldier will instead place a bolt directly onto the track. This reduces complexity and allows for aiming down the crossbow.

This is one removal (magazine), one adaptation (Of trigger system), and an additional (bronze reinforcements). Basically, it's a "fixing of an assortment of minor but dangerous flaws". It gets the power and accuracy of a single-shot crossbow while keeping the reloading advantages of a lever system.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2017, 02:09:32 pm »

Dude, that's just a normal crossbow.

A stronger single shot version is simply a normal version with a stronger bow and the trip pin pulled. Do you think we can buff lever and bow in one revision?
Yes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:13:02 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2017, 02:10:49 pm »

You don't seem to be paying attention. It has a trigger! It also has a removable magazine! Just pull a few pins and your design is suddenly reality. All we need is a better lever and stronger bow.

Go read the original design, all those features were there, there is even a proposed sniper version with a different stock for better shoulder use.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »

Normal crossbows don't have levers for loading, in fact. You just yank on the string to lock it into place.
Yes, it's fairly close to a normal crossbow, but using leverage might get us a bit of an advantage.

I want that aether-based autocannon now.

Except, milo, the base version isn't worth using, because you'll never hit anything.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:00 pm »

We can improve the accuracy of our crossbows beyond all recognition.
Dude this is starting to sound onigiri.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:26 pm »

What?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:45 pm »

Alright, enough arguing, can we identify one or two major issues that we can fix? Trying to fix everything is probably overreaching a bit, so if a change in functionality can let us sidestep an issue, it might just be worth it.

(Madman, if I'm reading your proposal right, it keeps the lever for reload assistance yes? I might just vote for it in that case. Might vote for it anyway as it seems to be a viable revision that doesn't seem too crazy)

(PS:......HOW AM I THIS SLOW... I STARTED TYPING THIS BEFORE TACK'S POST BEFORE THE LAST ONE FOR PETE'S SAKE!)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2017, 02:15:48 pm »

Yes, normal crossbows do too have levers! Have you ever fired a crossbow? They are way too hard to draw by hand unless the draw weight is very low. Arbelests often had WINCHES used for drawing it was that hard to pull them.

Anyway, stinger bow, better lever. Everyone is mostly happy... For long range combat disable the trip and dismount the magazine, for short range mount the magazine and enable the trip.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 187