Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Culture Wars - debate and discussion  (Read 18062 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Wars - debate and discussion
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2017, 09:30:31 am »

Lol! That's one way to support hereditary monarchy!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2017, 10:53:55 am »

Hereditary? That implies there's some kind of succession, which means suffrage by murder if nothing else. No suffrage for anyone!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2017, 11:12:39 am »

No suffrage then implies an immortal god emperor?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2017, 11:41:32 am »

No suffrage then implies an immortal god emperor?

Or anarchy. No master, not election. No election, no suffrage.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2017, 10:28:00 pm »

Unlike men usually assume women will step aside, but not other men? In that case, yeah, she didn't "walk like a men" by that definition but is that the important thing?

If you're in a busy street you don't have time to make any assumptions. You get passed one person and there's another right behind them. You might have to navigate passed thousands of people a day in a busy city, and you have a split second to make each decision. Whether they're male or female doesn't factor into the equation. If there's a fat woman, I'm going to navigate around her more than a skinny man, purely based on the size of the target.

When I'm walking down the street in a dense crowd the gender of the other people is the last thing I'm thinking about, they're just a mass of undifferentiated people. That's kind of the point, you're not seeing them as individuals, or grouping them by gender, their just faceless obstacles to be avoided. You're thinking about size, speed and location relative to yourself, and you need to be able to simultaneously do this for a dozen or more other people at a time. There just isn't any time in that situation to make differential assessments of each person's likelihood of moving out of the way, based on ithe gender of the person. That would take let's say half a second, and you don't have half a second to make the decision.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:42:41 pm by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2017, 02:44:51 am »

I think you're severely underestimating the speed at which your subconscious work.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2017, 07:16:33 am »

Smaller ape avoids collision with larger ape. News at 11.

I've observed people of either gender walking through the streets like assholes (i.e. usually with friends at their side and taking up so much of the available space people from the opposite side would need to sidestep when passing them along the right) and caring little if they nudge someone's shoulder. And in areas more chaotic, such as a wide and busy street crossing, I've noticed women more often walk with the presumption that the oncoming person will do the avoiding.

Once again, attributing a behaviour to one gender based on anecdotal evidence. How is this different from stereotypes a 1950s conservative would use?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2017, 07:52:07 am »

I was thinking earlier that if my anecdotal experiences would be basis for such a term it would be called mamslamming, because nowhere else do I encounter such disrespect for other other people in the public room as with mothers with baby carriages moving in a group.

Except cyclists. Cyclists are probably the biggest assholes in this regard, but I can't think of a good pun for them.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52:36 am »

I have literally never seen this in real life.  I see most human traffic problems around corners, because people don't obey sensible traffic-equivalent rules.  Keep your left side to the center of the road you fucking maniacs.

I get around it by always giving the wall a four or so foot buffer so I can see people blundering around the corner on their phones.

At least mansplaining and manspreading are hostile misinterpretations of actual behaviors, rather than inventing new, completely imaginary behaviors to shame men fight male hegemony get online ad revenue.
Shoes...

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2017, 09:08:16 am »

I have literally never seen this in real life.  I see most human traffic problems around corners, because people don't obey sensible traffic-equivalent rules.  Keep your left side to the center of the road you fucking maniacs.

it depends a lot on where you actually live. I've lived in cities where parts of the city people are constantly bumping in to you and cities where it's never really crowded enough to be an issue. To be honest I've seen more of the problem with big groups of friends than a particular gender. People constantly wanting to walk beside all there friends even though it leaves no room for people walking the opposite direction.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2017, 09:39:35 am »

I can confirm that mothers with baby carriages act like they own the sidewalk. Fathers too. What is truly baffling, though, is that they don't seem to care that in case of collision, the baby will be caught right in the middle. There was one time where this asshole swerved the baby carriage to force me to dodge.

As for cyclists, they are assholes when it comes to pedestrians, yeah. I've actually been run over by bikes several times and in all cases instead of apologizing or anything of the sort, they tried to blamed me.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2017, 10:02:25 am »

Cyclists are the worst assholes on the road.  At least in America bikes are legally identical to cars and follow the same rules.  In practice cyclists behave like cars or pedestrians, whichever is more convenient at the moment.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2017, 01:13:33 pm »

Cyclists are the worst assholes on the road.  At least in America bikes are legally identical to cars and follow the same rules.  In practice cyclists behave like cars or pedestrians, whichever is more convenient at the moment.

In Canada a new law makes it so Cyclists own the road. NO REALLY!

You have to give them soo much berth that if a cyclist is in front of you, you MUST pass them in the next lane over.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]