Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 18825 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (3rd Round: Space Nomads)
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2017, 05:51:16 am »

I think being Neutral would be the wisest, no super mega death fleets coming straight for us when we jump too close to a fleet staging point that way.

I believe a variety of alien and human races would make sense.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2017, 06:23:27 am »

Also, I may've forgot this earlier, but -1 to cybernetics and Organic tech: Resources on survival, not on such wasteful projects. And a -1 to any form of psionics/space magic too while I'm at it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2017, 06:34:13 am »

Also, I may've forgot this earlier, but -1 to cybernetics and Organic tech: Resources on survival, not on such wasteful projects. And a -1 to any form of psionics/space magic too while I'm at it.
Mate, we have the mad scientist role for a reason.
and apparently 3 people that want it

Considering what's been stated, taking a neutral position sounds like a good idea.

Please, let's not have military chain of command as the primary government.

And TL, Madman, I'd like you both to know now, my brand of mad science tends to focus more on the less sciency-parts. I have always been a fan of making the magic happen. :D
MAGITECH!
So we can have an organically-grown cyborg spaceship powered by an improbability drive.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2017, 06:35:59 am »

There's mad, and there's spaced. The latter happens for those going too far off the rails to point of being dangerous.

Currently you're fitting into the latter so...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2017, 06:52:59 am »

Dangerous? Explain.
What specific portions of what we're discussing is dangerous? Madman wants to do mechanical, TL wants to do biological, and I want to use sufficiently analyzed magic (warning: tvtropes ahead).

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2017, 07:53:56 am »

No. You do not.

You want sufficiently advanced technology. Problem solved.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke

And, for the love of goodness, Taricus, we're not talking wastefulness. We're talking about a race or multiple races who use organic construction methods. i.e. Yuuzhan Vong (If you're a Star Wars EU fan). They use creatures, feed said creatures, and said creatures grow into useful things. For instance: Bioengineer yourself a building...by making something that has, say, webs of interconnected air sacs and an incredibly tough skeleton. Boom, you know have an interior space with interconnected rooms. Done.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2017, 08:07:33 am »

Yeah, and the creature has to survive expose to vacuum and would require immense amounts of food to sustain; food which could be used to feed the population.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2017, 08:25:41 am »

Not if that's your technology, it doesn't. It just consumes what you know as "fuel". Besides, it is entirely feasible that this thing eats trees or other such not-entirely-readily-consumable biomatter.

Honestly. Look, Taricus, this is sci-fi. Not hard sci-fi. Besides, if the tardigrade can go 10 years in deep space without food or water, I bet you a specifically-engineered creature that just happens to be big enough to hold some travelers will be able to do it too.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2017, 08:30:49 am »

I never said it had to be hard sci-fi. But it generally has to stand up to basic logic to be believable. And a tardigrade is a lot smaller had has a lot less things it needs to do. Heat for the ship has to come from somewhere.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2017, 08:33:34 am »

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong

That is an example of a developed and somewhat-logical biotech race. Of course, we hopefully won't ever reach the same depths of depravity, but their biotech is fairly reasonable. Different creatures do different things, some of which is based entirely on existing. In a vacuum. With limit/nonexistent food.

And heck, perhaps you grow the creature, and it dies and leaves you its shell.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2017, 08:37:09 am »

Yeah see the Vong were basically retconned out, and they were somewhat... iffy before that. Besides half the time star wars isn't exactly reliable for practical things.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2017, 08:44:59 am »

Just HALF the time?

What with the visible lasers and whatnot?

My point was not whether or not they were left in canon (None on the EU was, almost), but rather how their tech worked. Not the gravity-manipulation stuff, but rather specialization through genetic modification and long-term breeding (Same as gene-changing in many ways, but more natural).

And no, we do NOT have to follow basic logic. Actually, it depends on what you consider basic logic, but this is science-FICTION, and thus logic is somewhat optional.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2017, 08:59:18 am »

Yeah, but it's the simple stuff I'm retaining. AKA living things do need food and water. If it can't pass a cursory check of logic it doesn't pass muster.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2017, 09:16:53 am »

This seems not to be a ovp logical arms race game. But a comunity driven SG game with roles and issions. Sure there is the die rolls. But in this we define the sciences I sci fi. And I was not planing on creature ships. Rather organic/technological self replicating nano clouds that form into gel that respects nds to Command chips i a use s interface. Meaning shape shifting ships, powers by starlight, nebula, and vacuum energy. Ships, capable of shape shifting addition nap stuff, and the look when "has den" is the juraian wooden ones from Tenchi Muyo. My weapons? The only thing bio tech related would be said nano gems in gel form being solid fields/life support. Ub led for troops that shape shift for support. Everything else? Hard science fiction in mind re con is tired nap sense. ( like electron pass s. Which are basically phasers from Star Trek, in different name.) (Aside that the king not combat biological application are stem cell grown genetic clone/warhamer style space marines.)

You want to be the master, that's understandable and you can make calls. But the science department makes up the toys. If it works, it works.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2017, 09:25:10 am »

This is why I tend to suggest that we bioengineer for parts. For example, create creatures that naturally process metals into the skeletal structures (which can be melted down for scrap or used as-is), or that produce some useful material (sheep that grow steel wool, spiders that make spider silk the thickness of rope (the stuff is stronger than steel, mates), trees with wood that's as strong as most metals but also lighter than them, etc.), and other things where it's more like actual animals and plants than biotech. It supports the other sciences, but pursuing it on its own doesn't necessarily work as well as using it in conjunction with other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27