Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadows among the Stars (OOC/Planning/Accepting Character Signups)  (Read 18820 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows among the Stars (3rd Round: Space Nomads)
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2017, 06:54:03 pm »

Voting for B

And Madman, it's not necessarily fascism in space, but we do not have the resources to waste. Everything must be efficient and co-ordinated as there IS no tolerance for mistakes; a single one can destroy and entire ship and bring it's crew with them. A ship's captain needs the total commitment from the crew and the crew need the captain to be competent.

Essentially it's not really fascism so much as... well, individualism just cannot work, we just do not have the resources for it with just about everything being committed to survival.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2017, 06:56:04 pm »

Or we can have different starting characteristics in our fake world and play with something more fun. Also, how are we supposed to have any sort of government on a fleet of regular starships?

People who like A, more votes!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2017, 06:57:08 pm »

A!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2017, 07:02:05 pm »

I'd be open to the "Mix of humans and nonhumans" part. Actually, I really like that idea, because it allows for fun with differing environments on different ships. Also, could allow for the Naturally Vacuum-Resistant Armored Sauroid Space Marine Company.

Which would be reasonably acceptable as a fighting force.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2017, 07:13:29 pm »

I'm fine with whatever species, so I'm going to just abstain from that vote.

And a government on a fleet of starships? Organise it like a fleet. That is then your governance for it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »

But then where is the possibility of mercenary corporations or private enterprises with shady morals and whatnot?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:20 pm »

In dealings with outsiders; since there's no space to do it inward, you do it outward. And we'd have the ships for detachments and the like.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2017, 07:30:34 pm »

I'd frankly prefer that we be a country. I think it'll be more fun.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2017, 07:33:17 pm »

Well we are a nation. Just one without land a or a lot of resources and a very conscious decision to work together as one for survival.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2017, 07:42:45 pm »

I'd also rather we be closer to Athens than Sparta.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2017, 07:44:40 pm »

So, you're saying we should pressure anyone saying something we don't like into suicide? :P

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2017, 07:47:43 pm »

Other contexts. Also, when Socrates was on trial, it was after the Spartans had essentially conquered Athens after the Peloponnesian War, so it's not really valid to use it as an example of Athenian behavior.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:32 pm »

3 for the fleet and 2 for the worldship, so how about something of a combination of the two?

The fleet jumps into the Marien system. A splinter off the home fleet, a large repurposed colony ship, 10 km long and able to hold near a million souls at max capacity, forms the core of the fleet, with a few dozen ships around it.

Most of the population works in industry, producing goods to trade, new ships, and making repairs. Agriculture is also a heavy focus on the mothership, producing enough food to supply the fleet. While not very onerous, food and goods are rationed on the ship, and waste is heavily discouraged. Fresh food is on the main reserved for the elite of the ship, with more common workers making due with reprocessed foods. Though everyone tends to eat well once the trade ships come in. Conditions are harsher on the outer ship, though there is a rotation of the crews so everyone has a chance to enjoy “fresh” air on the mothership.

The Marien system is home to 13 planets, of which 3 are habitable and colonized, and dozens of mining outposts. The local government here is the Hadion Dominion, which is allied to the Goulden Empire, though the Empire doesn’t have too strong have a presence here. Reports gather from scouts reveal that one of the 3 colonized planets, Marien VII, has rebelled against the Dominion. This could prove to be an excellent opportunity to make a profit.

Name of Nomad Fleet:

Population Percentages: % Human, % Major alien species (if any), % Other assorted
Population: I think the population lies between 750 K and 1 Mil, though you can choose higher or lower if you want.
Government:
Military Chain of Command: Fleet is led by High Admiral, may have a civilian council but no real acting power.
Republic: Elected officials guide the path of the fleet. President can assume emergency powers.
Constitutional Monarchy: King leads the fleet, advised by Parliament and Prime Minister
Something else or a combination of above!

Relationship with major powers:
   The Goulden Empire is the largest and strongest in the Galaxy. It is also the most fractured at the moment. It is majority human, but nonhumans can advance up the ranks.
   The Republic of Mantzeia broke away from the Empire centuries ago, and has remained independent ever since. They have fought the Empire to a standstill in the most recent war, and are expected to make a push into their territory. The Republic is slightly majority human, but is currently lead by Av Fret, the first Jordt prime minister.
Practical differences? You can probably make more money with the Empire, but can become more influential in the Republic over the long term.
5 Options: Allied to Empire, friendly to Empire, neutral, friendly to Republic, Allied to Republic

Probably at the start I’ll control the head of government , but you can have pretty much complete autonomy from the start within your department, and eventually work your way up to control the government.

If there are any questions please ask. We'll try to get character creation underway tomorrow!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:19 pm »

50% Human for a nice round number. All others random. So wait, are we part of a fleet or the entire nation? I believe the vote was "Entire nation on the move" and the debate was "Method of travel" though I could be wrong. The intro you've given makes it sound like we're just a part of a grander fleet.

As for the name...
How about Randiri?

Population: One million. I'd say that that gives us perhaps 800k on the colony vessel/habitation vessel, plus 200k on the assorted other ships.

Government: Definitely a Republic, though the President can be overruled  (With regards to his control of the military) in times of threat by the Admiral of the Fleet, though he or she can request that the Admiral partake in surrender negotiations (Just in case), and must be heeded.

I'd say neutral, but leaning towards Republic.

What departments do you plan on having? And will there be civilian companies on the mothership?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:33 pm »

Fleet name: the Redwings

Pop %: 25% Human, 20% Draqon (think D&D dragonborns), 15% Tarn (previously space elves), 15% Jordt (previously space dwarves), 5% Madman's sauroids (please contribute a name), 20% other assorted races
[EDIT] Pop: ~1 mil

Government style: Republic for most stuff, chain of command for the military branches (duh) and for emergency periods of martial law

Friendly to the Republic, but not on bad terms with the Empire (this allowed?)

Does all this sound good?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:51:24 pm by Glass »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27