Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37

Author Topic: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread  (Read 38383 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: (4X) Fiefdoms at War - OoC/Fluff thread
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2017, 08:16:06 am »

The empire is at early-mid game tech levels (higher than you guys started by a couple of levels), and combined with their size they are designed to be a Disc One Final Boss. Thus for balance reasons they are very insular, slow to respond and loath to exert force beyond their border.

They do not however, have any magic. Only the Great Wizard had that and he's been dead for centuries.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2017, 08:20:11 am »

If they have actual income buildings they could potentially have multiple tens of thousands of income then. Imagine 1000 spearmen stomping on a Revakn face. Forever.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2017, 08:51:37 am »

Spoiler: Response to Talarys (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Letter to Everyone
A Letter to the New Nations beyond the Empire's Borders

A form of this letter has been sent to each player nation, with the appropriate name and titled applied.

Esteemed Ruler {Name},

I am Princess Gruntsnuffle of the Principality of Pork.  Our fledgling nation is seeking to improve our understanding of political etiquette and diplomatic engagement, so as to avoid having to use crude forms of international relations in the form of spears and arrows.  We are offering a bounty of £200 to the nation who can grant us knowledge of Diplomacy this season, to be paid immediately upon receipt of the necessary scrolls.  Any nation who has already researched such technology would only benefit from this, as it would grant free money for a technology they already have which offers no military benefit.  Indeed, avoiding war is rather our goal in this matter.  If this offer is of interest to yourselves, please leave a return scroll with the messenger piglet who has carried this message.

The Finest Regards,

Princess Gruntsnuffle of the House of Suidae
Principality of Pork

Also, out of pure amusement, how did various tax evasion efforts go?  No obligation to say, since it's private information, but I will volunteer my position:

- Paid £75 for tax lawyers to convince the Empire I only owed them £25 in back taxes.  Arguable success!  Apparently there's a tax assessor coming in the future who will rip us to pieces with their actuarial acumen.  o_o
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2017, 08:54:47 am »

Sea Serpents best Serpents. "What tax collector? You mean this corpse that washed up with some wreckage after a sea serpent attack was observed in the distance?"
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2017, 09:08:03 am »

Iituem: you know that you can only send money to people you can trade with?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2017, 09:18:11 am »

Oh nuts, that's right.  Probably best to just spend my money on research instead, then.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2017, 09:22:13 am »

Also, out of pure amusement, how did various tax evasion efforts go?  No obligation to say, since it's private information, but I will volunteer my position:

- Paid £75 for tax lawyers to convince the Empire I only owed them £25 in back taxes.  Arguable success!  Apparently there's a tax assessor coming in the future who will rip us to pieces with their actuarial acumen.  o_o
What's worth than a 750 flat tax with a crazy increase per turn you refuse? @_@ I don't want to break my 'don't see others' spoilers' just to see what others rolled but I feel like I rolled an intense series of 1's :P

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2017, 11:12:54 am »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2017, 11:23:01 am »

Plan changed, researching tax laws will have to wait.

Edit: Changed again because I am not a decisive person.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:25:13 pm by Nirur Torir »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2017, 07:23:00 pm »

> Basic Healing for Troops when not in battle and in friendly (own or allied), technology.
Herbalism (easy) will unlock a building that will instantly heal a single damaged unit each turn. Life magic has spells that do a similar thing

> Attack/Defense increase for troops, technology.
Weaponsmithing and Armoursmithing technologies (easy) give a flat bonus to attack and defense respectively

> Knowledge of that effectivity triangle, technology. [The one you said one is better vs this type of troop]
Already exists. As units are unlocked, any bonuses they have against certain unit types will be mentioned

> Reduction of Hero cost, technology.
Heroism (hard) will unlock the academy, a military building that reduces the purchase and promotion costs of heroes

> Increase of Caravan first-time money bonus, technology.
Mercantile (moderate) will boost the caravan bonus dependent on the number of resources you have access to.

> Anti-Empire troops, base technology. Not because they annoyed me into rebellion nope
Nothing specifically anti-empire. Empire troops will be available to players with the correct technology

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2017, 07:53:15 pm »

Huh, easy moderate hard. Can I get an estimate on difficulty of fermentation I? Or would that be too nice? I'm heavily second guessing my decision to put in 500 instead of 1000, but flailing a bit on what the averageish difficulty levels are going to be for t1 (or 2) tech.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2017, 11:28:48 pm »

Hey Kashyyk? :3 If soever this game ends in any way, may I carry on a similar game to this? Because I'd love to try my hand at doing something, but have 0 tools or programs to do so :P

Also can I suggest a technology with the theme of post-battlefield trauma aid? I've recalled in the far past, at least I think by the Roman times (or further) that veterans of war were given aid to relieve their dealing with stress and such--this tech would help with, if our side wins and there are damaged units, a higher chance of them being captured or a secondary halfed chance of them surviving after failing the initial capture roll?

...Also a tech for Monster Hunters, for those good ol' natural beasties in our lands! :3

Also does Herbalism unlock an Industry building?

> Knowledge of that effectivity triangle, technology. [The one you said one is better vs this type of troop]
Already exists. As units are unlocked, any bonuses they have against certain unit types will be mentioned
So...all current units known at this point DON'T have a bonus versus others (other than that cavalry vs infantry thing)?

Also I edited my orders upon receiving this letter.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:37:01 pm by Tiruin »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2017, 02:34:14 am »

Huh, easy moderate hard. Can I get an estimate on difficulty of fermentation I? Or would that be too nice? I'm heavily second guessing my decision to put in 500 instead of 1000, but flailing a bit on what the averageish difficulty levels are going to be for t1 (or 2) tech.
Fermentation I is easy.

Hey Kashyyk? :3 If soever this game ends in any way, may I carry on a similar game to this? Because I'd love to try my hand at doing something, but have 0 tools or programs to do so :P
Seeing as I stole this from Iituem, I don't think I have much of a say :P My plan is to pull all the units and such out into set up files rather than having them hardcoded, so someone doesn't have to edit the source code to add units. In theory I could send you a copy once I've done that.

Also can I suggest a technology with the theme of post-battlefield trauma aid? I've recalled in the far past, at least I think by the Roman times (or further) that veterans of war were given aid to relieve their dealing with stress and such--this tech would help with, if our side wins and there are damaged units, a higher chance of them being captured or a secondary halfed chance of them surviving after failing the initial capture roll?
All winning damaged units survive. It's only the losing damaged units that need to roll for escape/capture.

...Also a tech for Monster Hunters, for those good ol' natural beasties in our lands! :3
Like some sort of Hunting Lodge?

Also does Herbalism unlock an Industry building?
It's an "Other" building, same category as the Palace or Shrine

So...all current units known at this point DON'T have a bonus versus others (other than that cavalry vs infantry thing)?
Correct. The rock-paper-scissors gets more prominent the higher the tier of unit.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2017, 01:08:51 pm »

Glad I payed!

Mine mentioned a regional governor. I assume that means those resisting taxes won't be fighting the might of the entire empire, and that my taxes aren't necessarily going towards debt collectors against someone else.

Imperial politics might be a useful tech. Find out about more about the governor sending debt collectors, and you might be able to find an alternative to paying. Maybe, say, Governor Seraphine really likes taking care of orphans, and will let things slide a bit if you build orphanages everywhere.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2017, 01:12:39 pm »

Question: since land units can hop a strait and all, can we trade with someone on the opposite side of such a strait?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37