Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pentagram: The Secrets of Magic (6/6, waitlist open)  (Read 4103 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pentagram: The Secrets of Magic (6/6, waitlist open)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 04:08:40 pm »

Name: Jonathan
Description: A (somewhat chubby) merchant that seems perpetually enthusiastic.

Strength: 0
Endurance: 0
Dexterity: 0
Speed: 0
Willpower: 9
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 05:01:46 pm »

You're third in line. Congratulations.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 01:42:37 am »

Introduction
----------------------------------

The occultists arrive at long last, paths from the four corners of the earth converging on a single room. Each descends several flights of stairs, following precise sets of directions given to them by their grimoires. Not even the living books know the every corner of this place, and a single wrong turn could easily strand someone within the twists and turns of the labyrinth.

If any of the founders were lost in the maze, the rest are never told of it. They merely walk towards their destinations, checking and double-checking their instructions with a sort of worried silence. The words were occasionally illegible, but they were accurate enough, and six initiates soon found themselves at the gate of a buried temple.

The stillness is broken only by the squealing of rusty hinges, produced as the mismatched magical order lets themselves in. The central chamber was clearly impressive in its day, given the high arches and the detailed carvings on the walls. Now, it is little more than a home for worms. Some semblance of its tattered glory would soon be reclaimed, at least if the tomes were to be believed.

The occultists walk inside, placing their grimoires on a circle of raised pedestals. Each keeps their right hand on their book's cover, and the leather soon begins to emit a deep, crimson glow. The color deepens, and each of the initiates is suddenly doubled over in pain, their hands still bound to the surface of their volumes. Searing light shines from beneath their palms, and they can feel lines of heat scraping their very bones. The light burns for a small eternity, shining straight through the flesh of their hands. When it finally fades away, the pain goes with it, vanishing as if it had never been.

Once the gathered magicians work up the courage to look at their hands, they find thick black lines on their palm, a brand neater and cleaner than any produced by natural heat. It is the sign of an inverted star, something they immediately recognize as a primeval symbol of the arcane. A mage-mark, their tomes write out, before the occultists have had a chance to recover from the shock. The term is an old one, found even in the oldest myths. They were supposedly a means by which one mage could recognize another, although the tales were never clear on what, exactly, the things were supposed to look like. At long last, it seems that there's a definitive answer.

-----------------------

With the marks comes a new, almost imperceptible awareness of nearby magic. The occultists can feel the power contained within the grimoires, a metallic tang not unlike the smell of blood. More interestingly, they can feel a flickering energy in their chests, and a lesser power in their marked hand. Knowledge bubbles to the surface of their minds, a single ritual communicated to them by the grimoire's magical flames.

Spoiler: Rite of Infusion (click to show/hide)

Upon further prompting, the grimoires also deign to tell their charges about a rudimentary armory, the living quarters, and a more direct exit, which is probably where they should have had everyone enter in the first place. Most of the good stuff has probably deteriorated, but a good look around might be worthwhile, especially given that six people are probably going to want things to infuse.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 01:44:54 am »

Name: Bob Wilcox
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wait list me please.

Name: Jonathan
Description: A (somewhat chubby) merchant that seems perpetually enthusiastic.

Strength: 0
Endurance: 0
Dexterity: 0
Speed: 0
Willpower: 9

Both of you go to the waitlist. I'm afraid that I'm probably in the "I should do this when I'm less tired" stage myself, so I hope that intro actually came out all right.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 02:10:29 am »

Quickly! Scrounge around for the best, shiniest stuff!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 03:15:07 am »

Head to the armory as fast as possible and grab anything that looks useful.

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 03:22:35 am »

Also run to the armoury. Grab anything that doesn't look like it'll fall off in the first battle.
"If magic can't solve a problem, the answer is always more magic." - Whisperling

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Pentagram: The Secrets of Magic (0/6)
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 06:46:29 am »

Fredwill stroll casually into the living quarters and inspect the place thoroughly. He pays attention to the magical signs and cues, and looks for objects of that nature, as well as scouting out the best quarters for himself.

Spoiler: Fred (click to show/hide)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:55 am »

I... Will search through the armory.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 11:14:27 pm »

Don't think I'll be updating tonight, mostly because it's late and I need sleep. Quick bump for Tymewalk, though, since we're still missing his action.

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 05:02:50 pm »

Grab some loot from the chests.

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 11:15:22 pm »

...wait, now I realize you meant "chests" as in the body part and not the loot container. Whoops.

Look in the living quarters. Corspes would be fun to play with.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 12:18:14 am »

Turn 1
----------------------------------

Quickly! Scrounge around for the best, shiniest stuff!
Head to the armory as fast as possible and grab anything that looks useful.
Also run to the armoury. Grab anything that doesn't look like it'll fall off in the first battle.
I... Will search through the armory.

The armory is a large, high-ceilinged room which is far too spacious for its current contents. Before this compound was abandoned, it probably doubled as a gymnasium or a training hall, some place where initiates would learn to use weapons of various sorts. Now, the training equipment is nothing but a layer of sawdust on the floor, and the weapons may not survive extended fights.

The old equipment racks are still relatively sturdy, most likely because they're made from stone and bronze rather than wood. The equipment, on the other hand, is significantly worse off. Most of the iron and steel pieces have turned into piles of rust, and the few bronze items are heavily damaged, missing handles, or even crumbling away.

The occultists gather up anything which is remotely useable, laying it out on the floor so that they can piece together individual sets of equipment. This stuff might be junk, but it's free junk, and a definite step up from bare hands, to boot. The final haul is a cracked warhammer, four rusty shields, three battleaxes with brittle handles, five heavily chipped swords, and assorted pieces of iron armor. The armor is, by and large, jagged enough to give the wearer tetanus, but that's probably better than broken bones or stab wounds.

-----------------------------
Spoiler: GM note (click to show/hide)
-----------------------------

...wait, now I realize you meant "chests" as in the body part and not the loot container. Whoops.

Look in the living quarters. Corspes would be fun to play with.
Fredwill stroll casually into the living quarters and inspect the place thoroughly. He pays attention to the magical signs and cues, and looks for objects of that nature, as well as scouting out the best quarters for himself.

Spoiler: Fred (click to show/hide)

Fred and Arthur walk straight to the living quarters, which are in surprisingly good condition. Some of the wooden furniture has actually survived, albeit in a rather fragile state. Although stone furnishings aren't nearly as common, there are enough to fill six private rooms, assuming the occupants are content with a bit of empty space. Particularly noteworthy are the bookshelves, which seem to be carved directly from the local bedrock. It's quite possible that they were made with geomancy, given that this compound was built by and for prospective mages.

For a place constructed by an ancient order of wizards, the layout of the living quarters is relatively simple. There's a central common area, which contains desks and a sizeable number of bookshelves. This branches into three smaller hallways, each of which are lined with the doors to private suites. In their time, the quarters could probably house about a hundred occultists. Nowadays there's a shortage of both furniture and food, making the upper limit something like nine or ten.

Arthur hangs around in the common area, looking for items of interest. Most of the furniture is broken, useless, or only mildly intriguing, which turns his attention to the contents of the bookshelves. As it turns out, a few texts have survived the centuries, although they certainly haven't escaped unscathed. Most pages are crumpled, stained, or ruined by mildew. Those which remain seem useful, but are difficult to understand without any context.

The first book Arthur picks up seems to be an illustrated manual, presumably a beginner's guide to simpler rituals. Half the pages have crumbled away, but those which remain depict an interesting ritual. At its most basic, it is a runic circle which can block the flow of magic, serving equally well as a binding or a protective barrier. The manual's instructions are rather piecemeal, likely as a result of the missing pages, but his grimoire might be able to fill in the gaps.

----------

Fred, on the other hand, goes directly to the private suites, hoping to secure the best rooms and the best arcane secrets. After a good five minutes of searching, he finally settles on a suite at the end of the second hallway, which seems to satisfy both of his desires. As of right now, the place is completely bare of furniture, barring shards of wood which might once have been a chair. On the other hand, his new rooms are quite spacious, and the magicians will be hauling around some furniture anyway. With a desk from the common room and a few good chairs, the suite will be good as gold.

More importantly, the walls are practically covered in arcane glyphs. None hold any enchantment, and Fred is entirely unsure of what they mean. Of course, that's far less of challenge when one has an ancient grimoire to back them up. If he can begin to decode the runic script, chances are that the glyphs would be well worth studying.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 12:19:33 am »

I finally have some free time, meaning that we're back in business. I'll try and update more frequently this week to make up for lost time.

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 12:44:46 am »

Take a battleaxe and some armour. Preferably chest armour but anything goes.
"If magic can't solve a problem, the answer is always more magic." - Whisperling
Pages: 1 [2] 3